Author Topic: Sliders  (Read 5204 times)

GBBBiker

• View Profile
Sliders
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
What are sliders and what do they do for a scooter? :-\ What other tricks sre there?

Haarek

• View Profile
Re: Sliders
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »
I assume you are talking about the alternative to rollers.

Sliders

Rollers

Both do the same job in the CVT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVT_gearbox)

The manufacturer of the slider alternative claim better acceleration and top speed over conventional round rollers. Experience differs, but many report improved performance provided they find the right weight for their scooter.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:05:23 PM »
Sort of similar to a cam lobe. There is an engineered "lift" in the variator that changes the performance.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nightriderrv

• Ride all the time !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
I like them won't use rollers again except for tuning rollers then in go the sliders, better take off smoother shift and no flat spots to jam the rollers but that's just my 2 cents.
2007 Agility 50 4T KG10SA
52MM Hoca BBK
Big valve head
24mm Keihin
102.5 jet
UNI filter
Aftermarket exhaust
Malossi Multivar
6g Malossi rollers
Stock clutch & white Malossi contra spring
Primary transmission gear up 18/50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 12:14:29 PM »
What are sliders and what do they do for a scooter? :-\ What other tricks sre there?
Read up on Dr Pulley sliders....see the youtubes as well. See what you think.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 03:18:16 AM »
Dr. Pulley sliders are the S%*& unless you install them wrong!!! The cheap copies of Dr. Pulley (AKA Ninja or other crap brands) SUCK and will flip in the variator. I tried ninja sliders once on a gy6 and almost on a dime every few days boom, they would flip and performance sucked until re-installing them. I have never had Dr. Pulley flip in the variator.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 07:20:50 AM »
I wont use plain rollers in a four stroke anymore. Dr. Pulley.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 07:22:50 AM »
+1!!!! Best cheep-o upgrade out there
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 04:55:07 AM »
FWIW, I've always found that round weights get flat spots when used in powerful scoots like BigBore 2-strokes. In hard acceleration, the weights get slammed outward. With flat spots, the variator doesn't variate properly.  It gets clunky.  The so-called "sliders" last much longer before getting clunky.

Skutorr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 06:41:21 AM »
Most people don't realize that the tapered shape of the Dr. Pulley slider allows the variator to compress a bit narrower, which makes the pulley "vee" wider off the line. This lets the belt fits in a bit more onto a smaller circumference, effectively LOWERING you gearing from a standstill. It makes a HUGE difference. 8)

Just changing to Dr. Pulleys made my 2009 Tmax quicker than a 2014 BMW C600 Sport. For less than $100. And my mileage actually increased, as I'm running more efficiently at my torque peak.  ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35:47 AM »
Most people don't realize that the tapered shape of the Dr. Pulley slider allows the variator to compress a bit narrower, which makes the pulley "vee" wider off the line. This lets the belt fits in a bit more onto a smaller circumference, effectively LOWERING you gearing from a standstill. It makes a HUGE difference. 8)

Just changing to Dr. Pulleys made my 2009 Tmax quicker than a 2014 BMW C600 Sport. For less than $100. And my mileage actually increased, as I'm running more efficiently at my torque peak.  ;D

I measured all that on mine, and found the initial opening was the same but it opened to a larger circumference sooner or at lower RPM. Approx 500 RPM that would have been wasted as over rev on rollers.

Every bike has it's sweet spot. Sliders do work differently. Figure it out... I'm a slider in 4 strokes, and roller on 2 strokes. @t's don't last as long for SURE!

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
I like them won't use rollers again except for tuning rollers then in go the sliders, better take off smoother shift and no flat spots to jam the rollers but that's just my 2 cents.

Just curious how you do this economically …most sliders I see online are around $25 a set after shipping. Are you ordering a cheap multipack somewhere or something?

I hear a lot about 5.5 rollers being a good weight for a stock Agility. Would that also be a good weight for a stock Agility using sliders or is there some conversion needed when going from rollers to sliders?
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »
Sliders ACT lighter so a 5.5 DR Pulley will ACT like a 3.5 roller. That may be too light. I would suggest going up at least one gram when ordering Dr. Pulley sliders. I think 6 gram is OEM rollers so a 7 gram Dr. Pulley set will keep your RPM's the same, and boost low end performance. I have 7's, and a Malossi Red contra spring, and it rocks.

There is no way to avoid buying piles of useless rollers/sliders unless you get lucky on the first go. We all have piles of useless rollers/sliders.

Buying a roller tuning kit heps but that is also useless after you find what you need.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
Video from Dr Pulley showing how they might work in your scooter.
Hills, rider weight, riding style, quicker & smoother takes offs, slower take offs but higher top speeds, higher RPMs or lower RPM's at various road speeds, better or worse MPG's etc., etc. are all mentioned in the discussions of slider vs roller weights. "You just have to experiment!","20% better performance!" "Sliders are smoother!" "They wear better but performance wise are the same."

(20% of what ,smoother than an already smooth take-off?, better than what?")
I read that: you want to go one gram lighter with Dr Pulleys.
I also read that: you want to go at least one gram heavier (maybe 2) with Dr Pulleys.
(have found both opinions on this forum)

These contradictory remarks muddy the water something fierce for some one approaching this product!
About the only constant statement I can find - is that they wear better than a roller weight.

There seem to be very few charts out there which clearly show how the same scoot reacts to rollers and sliders of various weights compared to the stock rollers.
So far I have used 2 sets, and am considering only trying one more for my 163cc LIKE (13, {stock 14} & 15 next)
It is amazing how little information there is out there which would actually lead one to an informed and clear choice!
Stig

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:07:53 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 03:28:15 AM »
I saw that vid before. That is why I measured. The variator can only physically move from a to b. The two (rollers/sliders) can only move it from a to b. No where else.

What does happen is you get a better profile or slower response from sliders in the variator. They will hold a lower gear longer, and transition smoothly into top range. That is why I recommend going with heavier than OEM or what ever you have that is providing the correct RPM. Going too light w/ sliders does make the bike rev higher, and hold a lower ratio for too long.

I have proved this out dozens of times vs those that have only used them in one bike one time. Sometimes you do NEED more rpm, and staying at the same weight or lighter is the key but not too often do you run into this.

They also hold the gear up much longer on de acceleration. That does provide for less engine braking but certainly a better feel for what the engine is doing.

I went thru 3 sets at 17.00 a pop till I figured them out., and unlike common rollers they have a proprietary size for the core weight. They will not swap out like roller cores do.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()