Author Topic: (Updated) (solved) 2013 Kymco Super8 150 won't start  (Read 6308 times)

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
(Updated) (solved) 2013 Kymco Super8 150 won't start
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:48 AM »
Ok. So I got home from work. Decided to go for a little ride. It's 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I start my scoot on its center stand. I walk away to let it warm up, and when I come back 2 minutes later, it's off. So I try to start it again. It fires for a few seconds and then quits. The next attempt it doesn't fire up. I switch over to kick start for the next few attempts with it firing for a few seconds or no firing at all. The only thing I can possibly think of is, possible flooding?  I walked away angry thinking of any possible culprits. I did adjust the idle over the weekend when it was warm so it would idle faster. I don't have a tach but I would say it's idling around 650-850. What do you guys think? Some other details: I use nothing but ethanol free gas and I add a 1/2-1 ounce of Marvel mystery oil at each fill. This is fuel treatment. I do this to avoid getting the carb dirty. The scoot has less then 120 miles on it and it's brand new. Any thoughts as to what my next step would be?

Update 4/24/14 8:30pm

Hey ladies and gents. As soon as I got home from work I gave her a few kicks and she fired up. She was struggling though. It almost sounded like the cylinder was getting too much gas. I rolled it down one turn and she evened out. I let the scoot warm up for about 5 minutes before readjusting the idle so it was perfect. I still want to have the dealer take a look at the carb. 1/8 to 1/4 throttle is gargley as hell. I'm going to have it ran over during my first service. I took her out for a nice ride. About 15 miles. Thank you to all who replied to this post. You kept me same throughout my work day :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:35:35 AM by Mikethesloan »
2013 Kymco Super 8 150 w/ Yoshimura TRC Exhaust
2007 Kymco Xciting 500 - Stock
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 kymco super 8 won't start
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:40:31 AM »
Maybe put the idle screw (s) back to the original position.....and use your 2yr warranty.
I do not think new scoot engines need any additives to help them run properly, or as cleaning agents.
My 163cc scoot idles at 1800rpm.
Good luck & keep us posted on what you find out.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »
I start my scoot on its center stand. I walk away to let it warm up, and when I come back 2 minutes later, it's off.
The pilot/idle/low-speed jet or fuel passageway may be obstructed.  Try adding around 2 ounces of Techron to the gas tank before refilling.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:26:58 AM »
I was thinking along similar lines... Are you SURE it was the idle speed screw you adjusted, and not the MIX screw?
Leaning the mix screw when warm will increase the idle but make it too lean to idle/start when cold.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
My 2012 has gone through the same thing a couple of times recently.
First time it was a rubber line that blew off from the valve cover and a screw on the carb wasn't tightened.
Second time it was a clogged air filter from the gear oil that comes through the breather tube to the airbox.

So try checking all your hoses and vacuum lines, and check the air filter.

As far as keeping the carb from getting build up in the jets, run about an ounce of Seafoam in the gas about once a month. I wouldn't use any other additives if you're already running non-ethanol fuel. I agree with Stig, an engine with that few miles shouldn't need any.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
I was thinking along similar lines... Are you SURE it was the idle speed screw you adjusted, and not the MIX screw?
Leaning the mix screw when warm will increase the idle but make it too lean to idle/start when cold.
I adjusted the screw that closest to the throttle. It's facing up at an angle and has a spring around it. Pretty sure this is the idle.

Thanks

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
Maybe put the idle screw (s) back to the original position.....and use your 2yr warranty.
I do not think new scoot engines need any additives to help them run properly, or as cleaning agents.
My 163cc scoot idles at 1800rpm.
Good luck & keep us posted on what you find out.
Stig

This seems like a solid idea. My only issue is my dealer is 30 miles away and I have no transport for it.

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:47:29 AM »
The pilot/idle/low-speed jet or fuel passageway may be obstructed.  Try adding around 2 ounces of Techron to the gas tank before refilling.

I've been running basically the same thing through it with no luck.

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:49:51 AM »
My 2012 has gone through the same thing a couple of times recently.
First time it was a rubber line that blew off from the valve cover and a screw on the carb wasn't tightened.
Second time it was a clogged air filter from the gear oil that comes through the breather tube to the airbox.

So try checking all your hoses and vacuum lines, and check the air filter.

As far as keeping the carb from getting build up in the jets, run about an ounce of Seafoam in the gas about once a month. I wouldn't use any other additives if you're already running non-ethanol fuel. I agree with Stig, an engine with that few miles shouldn't need any.

Yes. I am going to start with the filter tonight. And work my way past the carb. Also going to check the spark plug. It could possibly be fouled.

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
An update:

Called the dealer. They are going to come out Monday try some basic stuff in my garage and if they can't get it started they are going to trailer it to the dealership.  The guy I dealt with seems to think that the pilot jet is clogged. So. That's where I'm at.

Thanks!

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
I've been running basically the same thing through it with no luck.
Try rotating up the carb vent hose, inserting a plastic drinking straw, and spraying in a few shots of carb cleaner while the engine is idling (most manifold vacuum).

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
Try rotating up the carb vent hose, inserting a plastic drinking straw, and spraying in a few shots of carb cleaner while the engine is idling (most manifold vacuum).

That's my problem. I can't get the thing to even fire. So no idling for this guy. I'm going to check the spark plug first thing when I get home from work.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
I adjusted the screw that closest to the throttle. It's facing up at an angle and has a spring around it. Pretty sure this is the idle.

Thanks

You did adjust the correct one. The second smaller flush fitting screw is the idle mix adjuster.

3 points for your dealer making a service call.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »

You did adjust the correct one. The second smaller flush fitting screw is the idle mix adjuster.

3 points for your dealer making a service call.

Yes! They are a solid group of guys. Been really straight forward about the whole situation. OPE Kawasaki in Auburn, NY. Great place.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: (Updated) (solved) 2013 Kymco Super8 150 won't start
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »
Mikethesloan, What ended up being the issue on the scoot?
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()