Author Topic: Coldest it should start  (Read 1027 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
Coldest it should start
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:15:02 AM »
Just wondering how cold it should get before I go out and expect the Super8 150 NOT to start? My understanding is that scooters don't start well in cold weather. Is this true? An old wives tale? Is it an old 2 stroke thing and not really apply to 4 stroke engines. Is it the size of the engine that causes it to not start at lower temps? Is it more of a battery thing with the cold temps?

I know, I'm full of questions.
Wayne

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Coldest it should start
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »
1. Battery... improving cranking power will be very useful in the cold.  One of the mods I made on my 125cc Super 8 is to change the battery from the original 7 amp to 9 amp. The cranking power increased a lot and starting is very easy... However, I live in a tropical country and cold weather is not one of my worries...

2. You mentioned "NOT to start".. I think it will start... will just take a bit longer in the cold that's why I mentioned the battery...

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:57:45 AM »
My battery starts struggling in the 20s but one kick will normally start it up.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 03:18:44 AM »
Thanks guys. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue cause I doubt I will be going out much in the 20-30 degree F range but nice to know I shouldn't have an issue. Nice to know I can put a bigger amp rating battery in it (as long as it fits).

Klav, Speaking of kick starting, mine is set to factory set pointing to 3 o'clock. I've heard moving it up to 1 or 2 o'clock give you more stroke and starts easier. Is changing the kick start position a given that everyone does or should I expect to just leave it as is. I don't seem to have much luck kick starting mine so wondering if there are any tricks to it like trying to set it to a certain position on the piston stroke before kicking. I feel like I should kick start it about half the time just to help save the starter. Should I even be worried about it?
Wayne

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:19:50 AM »
I never use the kick start... I love the cranking power of the battery...  However, you can try experimenting depending on your height... If you're short, the 3 o'clock will be more suitable...

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »
yup my cheap quality battery after 2 years with well maintance is about to die , every time i try to start takes longer ,
no power to start with first time usually second or third time
a full power battery as vivo said 9 amp would start very very good
also check spark plug is a sensitive part...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()