Author Topic: Xciting 500 first service by me!  (Read 2303 times)

Porkie

• View Profile
Xciting 500 first service by me!
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »
I did the first service on my scoot today and it is always a Zen like experience to check things over and do a good job. This is what I found during the service:

The oil drain plug was tightened by a Gorilla. I had to use the breaker bar and hammer trick.

The screen filter was easy to get to and clean but a little messy.

The Oil filter was also put on by a gorilla that wanted no one to ever get it off again. What's up with the 1/32 inch between the filter and the crankcase for almost 270 degrees. None of my stuff worked but a small 'pipe wrench' that finally did the job.

The final drive 'fill hole' couldn't be any smaller if it was planned that way. I used a small clear gas line as an extension from the gear oil bottle. When I removed the fill hole plug nothing flowed out and a allen wrench used as a 'dip stick' came out dry as could be.

The forward exhaust heat guard was missing a 'bolt' and just flopping around. The bolt was stuck in the guard thankfully so I assembled the thing and tightened it down good.

Nothing else on the scoot was loose aside from a few little Phillips head screws.

I used a K & N 147 oil filter so from now on getting the filter off or on is a snap.

I'm a believer in 'Shell Rotella T' and I used 15W-40.

The final drive was just topped off a little with Valvoline motorcycle gear lube.

Observation: The thing is built like a TANK.

This 500 is my 76th scooter/ motorcycle and I've always took care of my own rides.

This was a fun morning and now I know more about my new toy!

Sam:)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:19:00 PM by Porkie »
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
Re: Xciting 500 first service by me!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »
Nice, servicing yourself is always nice. I take mine in usually for the sake of my extended warranty though. Lucky for me less than a mile away there is a shop that is approved to work on kymco's and theu are very reasonable compared to the dealer ;)  if it werent for them being so close I would do it myself.
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:52:57 AM »
Good 4 u,  do it your self is the best way to go. You now know your bike better than anyone. 8) 8) 8) 8)

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
76? Holy crap! :) ;) :D ;D :-*

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
Once a person tests positive for the tenacious and non-benign motorcycle/ scooter disease and there being no cure, the addiction must be fed periodically to appease the Soul and the only way to do so is buying a new ride!

I would be rich today if it wasn't for this illness:)

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
I did the first service on my scoot today and it is always a Zen like experience to check things over and do a good job. This is what I found during the service:

This was a fun morning and now I know more about my new toy!

Sam, Does your manual specify filling the gear oil with a certain amount - or "fill to the hole" ?
My LIKE gives 2 amount figures - .181 liter  for drain and re-fill ; .210 liter for filling after a rebuild.
When drained and re-filled with the proper amount - the oil level is below the fill hole by a small distance.
I understand that a lot of LIKE owners fill to the hole..full stop.
I think some sort of chemical reaction takes place after the KYMCO factory men shoot those drain plugs and screws and bolts in our scooters. Surely they have the torque settings safed on their guns - the salt air must weld things up in transit.
I hit the back of my R hand & it swelled like a small soccer ball when that drain plug finally let go the first time. I was beginning to wonder if Righty Tighty was still in effect across the International Date Line.
The fill hole is a treat - trying to get 3/4's of a cup in there - spilling some - wondering about that, etc. My Honda gear oil bottle is a wonderful example of idiocy: nicely marked on the outer bottle in ounces and ml.....as though anyone could see the level thru the SOLID BLACK PLASTIC~!
Snowed again last night - and almost as bad - it has been so cold for months that I cannot even fiddle with my scoot in the garage!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
Stig, I'm not sure about the actual amount and I didn't drain it so soon after buying it but 'normally,' on all shaft drive bikes that I've ever owned, the oil is level with the fill hole or just a 'tad' less. Really, how would a person know if the level was correct, say if the scooter was used?

We are on a cold trend this week. it was 25 this morning and a week ago it was 60! Crazy!

Well at least the scooter will be ready to go now.

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
Stig, I'm not sure about the actual amount and I didn't drain it so soon after buying it but 'normally,' on all shaft drive bikes that I've ever owned, the oil is level with the fill hole or just a 'tad' less. Really, how would a person know if the level was correct, say if the scooter was used?

We are on a cold trend this week. it was 25 this morning and a week ago it was 60! Crazy!

Well at least the scooter will be ready to go now.

Yes, good point about used scooters.
The first thing I would do with the purchase of a used scoot is check the valves, and dump both oils!
Kymco likes to keep me guessing - the specs. manuals give 50% of the specs for 50cc LIKEs and the other for the 200i.
They give me figures for my carb and always report that my scoot has both electric and kick start.....while it is an EFI equipped scooter which cannot have kick starters, & show me where to attach the water lines on my aircooled scoot and how to check my side stand start-interrupter (which of course it does not have)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »
Asian owner's manual's have always been a source of amusement with their descriptions and wording. One of my favorites was for a 1965 Yamaha YDS3 250cc streetbike, 2 stroke and the welcoming statement included this:

"This motorcycle too powerful for human kind." Very profound:) :)

There are people I've known that make good livings as technical writers and proof readers so that stupidity doesn't get published like it does in lots of instructions.

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:02 AM »
76?   can that qualify for the world record?

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
No, Jay Leno out did me by a few (Hundred) and he's younger too, so he may have many more.

There was a guy on a Goldwing forum that I belong to that was on his 92 bike!

I just like something new and bright and shiny and I love that 'new bike' smell.

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 01:35:49 AM »
No, Jay Leno out did me by a few (Hundred) and he's younger too, so he may have many more.

There was a guy on a Goldwing forum that I belong to that was on his 92 bike!

I just like something new and bright and shiny and I love that 'new bike' smell.

Still trying to find a good translation for "Blot" ----'cause my Kymco has a zillion of them - even the OEM Kymco accessories came with a bunch of them hidden somewhere in the parts bag! I'm keeping all the Blot bags under the seat so I don't get stranded out in the boonies.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()