Author Topic: Excessive shaking  (Read 3286 times)

ST/SV

• View Profile
Excessive shaking
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:30:54 AM »
Just curious, since I don't know anyone else with a People 300 I thought I would post up. When I first crank it up while on the center stand I've noticed it shaking quite a bit, starting to remind me of a Harley. All the plastics are shaking, especially on the front end and now seems to be making more rattling noises the more I ride it. Once you take off things smooth out. I've got about 750 miles on it now but the shaking, rattling seems to be getting worse. Is this a common trait of the People 300 or is something wrong with mine.

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Excessive shaking
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:56:01 AM »
Try inspecting/tightening the motor mounts.

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:29:40 AM »
Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but I would appreciate your keeping us updated. I am seriously considering trading my Like 200 for a People 300 in the near future. Thanks. I hope it's nothing serious for you.
Peace and Ride Safe
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

Momma bear

• View Profile
Excessive shaking
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »
I have about 350 miles on mine and have noticed the same thing with the front fender.  I assume it has something to do with the larger engine and the fact that it's just a plastic fender. The fender itself isn't loose. Will keep an eye on it and talk to the dealer at my first oil change at 600 miles.
Ride safe
People300i

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
it is normal
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
with larger cc engines.
I had the same concern when I tried out my GT.
Now, I don`t give it a second thought.
Don`t worry about it. Just ride the s*** out of it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:48:58 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »
ST, I have over 30k miles on my GT. She has never been the most civilized bike at idle or at initial launch but as soon as she gets underway she is smooth. As Boo said 300cc is getting up there in size and with a single cylinder it will never be smooth as glass. Hopefully you have clear roads to ride as we on the east coast will have to wait a bit for that snow stuff to melt 8)

MassScoot

• View Profile
Re: it is normal
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:52:36 PM »
with larger cc engines.
I had the same concern when I tried out my GT.
Now, I don`t give it a second thought.
Don`t worry about it. Just ride the s*** out of it.

Boo nails it! I have a tad over 5K on my 2012 GT300i & yes, it shakes a tad @ idle. No worries @ all. I "always" put all of my scooters on the center-stand as well. Once you start cruising, all is well. Wonderful & dependable scooter. Worth every dollar! Tons of power I would like to add.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 02:09:37 AM »
Mine is vibey at idle too, always has been. It undoubtfully has a counterbalancer, but must be designed to smooth things out at speed rather than idle. At speed mine is smooth as glass.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:31:59 AM by alphaBETAdog »
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 04:45:51 AM »
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. I have a SYM HD125 and a Yamaha Zuma 50 2 stroke also and they are smoother at idle but definately don't have what the GT has once you take off. I have 3 motorcycles also but the GT is my go to machine most of the time riding around Houston.

Scootaloot no problem with the roads down here except traffic.  ::)

Boo I'll just keep riding the s*** out of it and stop thinking about it.  ;)

alphaBETAdog mine is smooth as glass also once rolling, it is just that idle thing

Blackbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »
Mine does the same.  Shakes at Idle, then smooths out when I get on the road.  It'll lightly shake the Windshield at idle at lights or stops, but not like it does at First Start.

I have, however, noticed something odd.  At times..... I'll get a little Front-Wheel Side-To-Side action, like I'm riding on rutted roads.  Our roads here are somewhat crappy, and when I see some wavy lines up ahead, I just hold on a little tighter.

I usually run my Tire Pressure at about 25/29 F/R on my Stock Tires, but maybe I need to Add/Decrease some???  I'm getting even wear, but wondering why it gets a little sloppy sometimes.

Thanks for any info!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves"!

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
I have, however, noticed something odd.  At times..... I'll get a little Front-Wheel Side-To-Side action, like I'm riding on rutted roads.  Our roads here are somewhat crappy, and when I see some wavy lines up ahead, I just hold on a little tighter.

I usually run my Tire Pressure at about 25/29 F/R on my Stock Tires, but maybe I need to Add/Decrease some???  I'm getting even wear, but wondering why it gets a little sloppy sometimes.

Put it up on the centerstand and grab ahold of the front wheel and see if you can get any movement from side to side. It should be snug and no perceivable slop at all. If there is some it could be premature bearing wear or as simple as the axle isn't set right. If you don't find anything in the front wheel try the same with the rear.
Also, make sure that the tires where mounted on the rim in the right direction. There is a direction arrow on the sidewall. This can cause some strange handling issues.  Good luck.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Blackbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 01:52:01 AM »
Put it up on the centerstand and grab ahold of the front wheel and see if you can get any movement from side to side. It should be snug and no perceivable slop at all. If there is some it could be premature bearing wear or as simple as the axle isn't set right. If you don't find anything in the front wheel try the same with the rear.
Also, make sure that the tires where mounted on the rim in the right direction. There is a direction arrow on the sidewall. This can cause some strange handling issues.  Good luck.

Thanks for the info!  It's greatly appreciated!

No... no slop or unexpected movement on the Front or Rear Wheels.  Everything's nice and tight.  Checked both arrows, and they're pointing in the right direction.  I've got the Original Stock Maxxi's on there, but have been thinking about going with the Michelin City Grips.  I didn't notice anything like this on my Zuma 125, and have only experienced this on my GTi.  Strange!  Then again, it could be our Roads.  We have a LOT of Trucker Traffic through here, and they can certainly Rut a Road pretty quick.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 03:06:53 AM »
Blackbeard, The CityGrips are great tires. For stock the Maxis aren't bad. I run a couple more pounds in each tire and have noticed handling changes with small pressure changes. Pressures fall off fast in cold climates and I don't check as often as I should so it's not unusual to be low by a bunch. Are you carrying anything heavy in top case as that can cause front end twitch. I ride a stretch of road that looks ok but always unsettles the bike and now I just let it go with the flow. This scoot is much more stable than my old BV250. She had lots of wobble on deceleration.

Blackbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
Blackbeard, The CityGrips are great tires. For stock the Maxis aren't bad. I run a couple more pounds in each tire and have noticed handling changes with small pressure changes. Pressures fall off fast in cold climates and I don't check as often as I should so it's not unusual to be low by a bunch. Are you carrying anything heavy in top case as that can cause front end twitch. I ride a stretch of road that looks ok but always unsettles the bike and now I just let it go with the flow. This scoot is much more stable than my old BV250. She had lots of wobble on deceleration.

If ANYONE would know about Tires..... it would certainly be YOU!  30K Miles!  WOW!  MAJOR KUDOS AND CONGRATS on that!  OUTSTANDING!!!

Nothing heavy in the Top Case (I switched to a Givi E370 after I bought it, and stored the Kymco Trunk...), just my Mesh Jacket Liner, when it gets a little too cool to ride.  I have a Biker's Friend Bag on the back of my Seat, but it only has Frogg Toggs in there at the moment.  I try and keep most of any weight I carry, Centered and Low, so as not to throw my Scoot off-balance.  I'm currently running my Tire Pressure at 25/30, and think I'll drop it to 23/28 for a bit, and see how it handles.

Thanks for the Tips!  Much Appreciated!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

Scootaloot: I agree the standard provided Maxxis tires are pretty damn good for being nylon. I'm going to keep them for another couple of years. Then I'll upgrade to Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop etc. The Maxxis are not "junk" tires. I think they are the best nylons out there.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()