Author Topic: Ethanol Treatment?  (Read 2589 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Ethanol Treatment?
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »
OK, my manual for the LIKE 200i says not to use any ethanol laced fuel.
There are a couple of marinas (now closed for winter) about 65 miles away that sell ethanol free gas. And I suspect that this is the case for most of the USA....no one can find ethanol free gas. So, this is a pretty stupid statement from Kymco USA.
Full stop.
So, while I wait for a reply from Kymco HQ to see what they advise  - what is the best ethanol treatment/additive to use? And just how is the ethanol 'treated' by these additives?
What are we using to 'treat' the ethanol? > Techron, Stabil, GumOut, SeaFoam, Mountain Dew, etc. ??
I've searched this topic - and am getting all kinds of answers.
I've learned to trust some of you guys. :)
{riding to work today, changed the trans. oil on my lunch break}
Stig
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:29:33 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Re: Ethanol Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
My dealer recommends ( and only uses ) K100 treatment. I do understand that our ratings (U.S. ) are different than overseas (at least for octane rating...our regular octane is the same as their high test, as I've read ..true?? ) .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:29:34 AM »
Testing ethanol videos.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 03:07:11 AM »
Stig, I don't use any fuel additives... I have been using 10% ethanol fuel ever since and with no problems... just use your scoot everyday.... What ethanol treatment treats is "Scooterista Paranoia"...

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:53:00 AM »
Stig, I don't use any fuel additives... I have been using 10% ethanol fuel ever since and with no problems... just use your scoot everyday.... What ethanol treatment treats is "Scooterista Paranoia"...

My local Simplicity/Honda/Yamaha dealer has seen a rash of fuel related problems and advises against ethanol in any small engine.  They rebuilt my lawnmower carb to the tune of 150.00 this spring.

There are two stations near me that sell "recreational" ethanol free gasoline, Shell and Kwik Trip.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
In the mid-south, many Valero gas stations carry ethanol-free premium gasoline.
http://www.valero.com/stores/storelocator/pages/home.aspx

Or use this web site to find ethanol-free gas in your area:  http://pure-gas.org/

scoot safely and Happy New Year
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:31:12 AM »
Many small airports sell ethanol free, as well.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 05:21:39 AM »
Guess I must be living a "good life" here in a small (pop 1630) town in the Willamette Valley about 100 miles south of Portland, OR. 50% of our gas stations (1 out of the 2 in town) sell non-ethanol premium. I can fill up my Like for well under 5 bucks and ride carefree.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »
Hello Don, You are right I also live in the Willamette Valley and I have three places where I can get non- ethanol. I have been using a fuel treatment this winter to keep the gas fresh but when riding all the time just pure gas and no issues at all.  ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 04:24:04 PM »
I have been using a fuel treatment this winter to keep the gas fresh but when riding all the time just pure gas and no issues at all.  ;)
Exactly the same for my riding habits - we've had no problems at all with our 2 scooters doing this.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:40:53 PM »
So big blue and GLV55 - My dealer in Albany OR and a lot of the farmers around here (we are the "Grass seed capital of the world") have told me that ethanol is a nono because it will clog injectors and cause rubber and plastic tubing to decompose. Would like to know for sure so I can do more than a 100 mile round trip without the little container of additive I carry under the seat. How long/far have you ridden with ethanol fuel? Many thanks!

And hey big blue..let me know if you're down this way (45 mins. south of you) and we'll take a scoot tour of the lower valley - or I can come up there, too. I know how to do it without using I-5. And the same for anyone else in the area.

And STIG - my dealer recommends Safeguard by Lucas Oil Products. Good for E-10, E-15, and E-85. About $8 for a 16 oz bottle that will treat about 80 gals.
Peace and ride safe.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:51:07 PM by donandrews »
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 12:08:09 AM »
Hi again Don, I have been using STP engine treatment (similar to Seafoam). My dealer is also Albany Powersports and I always enjoy "chewing the fat" with Barry when I stop in. I have used ethanol premium when I was away from a place where I could not get the good stuff. I would then go back to the no-ethanol on the next fill-up. The only way I have found to avoid the I-5 trip is on the back roads through Jefferson or on 99. I worked for about 14 years with a guy from Brownsville.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 12:39:29 AM »
Hello big blue. Jefferson is a nice ride to the lower valley. I have also ridden to Salem by crossing the Buena Vista ferry north of Albany and coming into Salem on Liberty/Commercial. There is an intersection just east of the ferry that will also take you across I-5 to Jefferson - another nice ride.

Was in to see Barry a couple of days ago. He's trying to sell me a People 300gti. Told him I would have to at least sit on in it first before shelling out over five grand. The gold one is a gorgeous scoot, thought. He reluctant to order one without it being sold first. Maybe if I tell him you'll buy it if I don't?

Would be interesting to see if we have a mutual acquaintance here. My e-mail address is dwa@peak if you want to tell me his name, but don't want to post it here.

Nice to connect with you. Any other forum members in the area?
Peace and ride safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
Hey don, I always use 91 octane ethanol free gas, so I don't usually have to use treatment for about 95% of the year. When the weather turns cold and it may be weeks before I can take a ride, I use ethanol treatment in that 91 octane e-free gas for extra insurance against possible gumming. Got to take the scoot out for a quick run last week, after 3 weeks of snowy roads, and she started up on the first push of the starter, idled smoothly, and ran flawlessly.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »
I run E10 87 octane year round with no problems. However, my bikes do not sit in storage.

Ethanol or not, I like to use fuel stabilizer in my gas if I am storing a bike for someone else.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()