Author Topic: Gear Change Project  (Read 1025 times)

agilebda

• View Profile
Gear Change Project
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:12:51 AM »
Hello guys and Happy Holidays to you all.

I was pondering about installing the Downtown gears in my GTI being that it's a slightly different ratio. Hopefully will gain more speeds. After all, The Downtown is overall a few mph faster that it's sister bike the GTI due to the gear ratio.

What are your thoughts on this?

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Change Project
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
  I would be interested in seeing the results. One other thing to consider. The DT rear tire is a smaller diameter than the GT, so it might not be just the gear ratio that impacts the speed. I believe there is a slight difference in the motor also. I think I would experiment with the cvt first. I put lighter sliders in mine and improved acceleration which is what I wanted. I can still cruise at 70-75 which is fine for me.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
with wind resistance,  wt., of scooter your wt., and power available, you wont see much change,. try bigger tire at the rear, if you can find one, remove wind shield, lay down on scoot, and try for top speed , I did it once and just hit 90 mph, on my down town,. I now can brag it will do 90,. but now it has every thing on and will barely do 85 mph, regular riding I hardly ever go over 65 mph. riding in the country side , 50 to 60 mph,.easy riding is more fun,  and I want to enjoy it till I hit ninety years,. 9 years and three months to go, happy trails to all,  and a happy new year

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
  I would be interested in seeing the results. One other thing to consider. The DT rear tire is a smaller diameter than the GT, so it might not be just the gear ratio that impacts the speed. I believe there is a slight difference in the motor also. I think I would experiment with the cvt first. I put lighter sliders in mine and improved acceleration which is what I wanted. I can still cruise at 70-75 which is fine for me.

Hello Mike. No difference in the motor at all. I asked a local Kymco Mechanic and all is the same except for the transmission ratio. The smaller wheel requires slightly bigger gears. Just slightly.
Lighten up on the rollers, and you should have awesome top end.

Also I just found out that Malossi produces a 400cc kit for the Downtown and the GTI. I was waiting for this to happen.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()