Author Topic: Speeds on Agility 50  (Read 28316 times)

Kymcomom

• View Profile
Speeds on Agility 50
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »
Today my husband purchased a Kymko Agility 50 for our son. We got a great deal on a 2009 with 942 miles! It had not had the 300 mile oil change, however,  and had been sitting up for two years in a garage and would start but not stay on. We took it a kymko dealer who inspected, did the oil change and service, replaced the carb. and made sure all else was good. They did say that at 900 miles the engine wasn't really broken in yet and it would take until 1,200 - 1,500 to be broken in. We were so elated to have gotten such a great deal and can't wait to take it to our son in college. However, when my husband rode it back he could only reach a top speed of 30 mph. He is 6'8" and weighs 290 so I thought perhaps he was on the high end of the weight limit. However, looking in the manual it says max weight is 500 plus pounds. My question is whether the scooter not reaching 40-45 mph is due to my husband's weight or perhaps the motor isn't fully broken in yet...or other reason???? I am concerned that in traffic our son will need to reach 40-45 to keep from getting run over even in the city. Our son weighs about 190 pounds. Should I be concerned there is another problem? Please share your insights. Thanks.

EwanF96

• View Profile
Re: Speeds on Agility 50
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »
Hello,

On a standard Kymco Agility 50cc scooter the top speed you will reach is 30mph. This is due to the restrictions that don't allow it too go any faster. However you can take these off so too speak.

There are many tutorials online, however before you do anything make sure you know what you are doing. This involves cutting the CDI, replacing the drive boss to a smooth lip and going up a jet size. I made the mistake of fiddling when I didn't know exactly what too do and damaged the bike. Also take care in knowing that insurance policy can be breached if you de restrict the bike.

Once the restrictions are taken off it will be able too reach 45 - 48mph.

Hope I helped!

Smithg27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6198.msg62708#msg62708
This is a thread on this forum that explains exactly what needs to be done. I did mine myself. Really wasn't difficult at all. If your husband has any mechanical knowledge he will be able to do it. My 2009 A50 goes around 45-47. I ride it to work everyday in the summer and have no problem with being run off the road.
If you keep searching this forum you can find more threads on cutting the CDI. Here is the video I used to cut mine.
 I could not see the wire when I cut it but I tried to cut it exactly like the video. Once I put it back in I could tell it had worked.
Hope this helps.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »
^^^ as stated derestrict and should be steadily getting around 40 mph with no other modifications. 

If yours is like mine it may indicate approx 45mph on the speedometer, but mine is about 5 mph off as well as others.  Just derestricted I average 38-41 when riding. not super fast but enough that I don't get ran over on the street with a 45mph speed limit.

If you upgrade variator and possibly weights then could easily get 45+.  most decent variators are less than $100.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 07:42:42 PM »
Hello, I doubt very seriously that the figure of "500 pounds" in the manual represents the rider weight.
I'm pretty certain what you are reading is the total weight of scooter and rider.
Nevertheless, your 290 husband and 190 son are likely within the weigth limits of this scooter.
As stated very well, here - make certain you know how to derestrict this scooter. Your dealer would be a good source for info on safely doing this procedure. (he'll do it, or likely recommend someone who has experience doing it) The idea being to improve this scooter's cruising speed - without making it nearly useless.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:05 AM »
he could only reach a top speed of 30 mph

30mph is just about all you can get out of an unrestricted Kymco 4-stroke.  Maybe 35mph with a tailwind and a small, light rider!  But 45mph on a stock 4-stroke Kymco 50cc?  Not in this lifetime!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:45:06 PM by JJJoseph »

reg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 05:46:19 PM »
The only mention of 45mph was with derestricted engines. An indicated 45mph would actually be 40mph which is pretty usual for any 50cc machine without restrictions.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »
40mph which is pretty usual for any 50cc machine without restrictions.

A 2-stroke 50cc Kymco might get to 40mph, but a stock Kymco 50cc 4-stroke won't get anything like 40mph. A showroom-stock restricted 50cc 4-stroke can barely make it to 25mph!

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
JJJoseph sorry but you are incorrect. My agility when it is running is only derestricted by changing the boss and cutting the original cdi.  and I was hitting 40MPH GPS indicated  (Speedo said 45ish).  everything stock, variator, roller weight, belt.  etc. just normal derestriction.

Many have fitted just a new variator and have gotten 45mph on these scooters.  MIne is a 4-stroke and I weigh in at 230lbs.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:29:27 PM by Resolve »

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:48:22 AM »
Many have fitted just a new variator and have gotten 45mph on these scooters.

I've never seen speeds like that - I'll give you maybe 40mph downhill in good weather, but 30mph is more like it on a stock Kymco.  I'm a little suspicious because the variator has no effect on top speed. 

reg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
Any 50cc unrestricted will hit 40mph, even chinese duds. If they didnt then no-one would buy them world wide. Honda 50's etc were capable of 40mph fifty years ago. If you check out the horse power of the machine you will see that 40 is realistic. My a50 hits a gps checked 41mph on level ground with no wind and I weigh 254 pounds.
The variator has an effect on top speed due to its profile. One variator profile might be such that the belt is carried higher up the pulleys therefore a higher gear effect is produced. Another variator with a profile biased towards acceleration would have a profile that favours the belt into a tighter smaller configuration so lowering the gearing. By the way nearly all so-called peformance variators come supplied with a new variator boss that is reduced in length so allowing the variator faces to be closer together and raising the overall gearing.

In my time I have owned Honda c50,c70,c90,s50,ss50, Suzuki a50, ap50, Yamaha fs1e, townmate, Rd50, Mobylette 50, Raliegh 50, Puchmaxi, Piaggio zip50, Velo Solex. I have spent a lot of time on 50's doing a genuine 40MPH!!

If your unrestricted 50 cannot achieve 40mph then there is something wrong with it.

Smithg27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »
Completely agree with reg. When I derestricted my A50 by changing to a smooth drive boss and unrestricted CDI I was reaching about 39-40mph. Then i went to a performance variator that came with a slightly shorter drive boss and I have been reaching about 43 mph GPS verified. And that is on flat ground without much wind. I'm sorry JJJoseph, you are wrong.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »

In my time I have owned Honda c50,c70,c90,s50,ss50, Suzuki a50, ap50, Yamaha fs1e, townmate, Rd50, Mobylette 50, Raliegh 50, Puchmaxi, Piaggio zip50, Velo Solex.

LOL!  If those 50-year old scoots are your experience, then you're seriously behind the times!  A new CARB/EPA certified 50cc "moped" will top out at 25mph.  That's all you get.  And the variator, usually limited by the size of the case, won't make a bit of difference.  But if your 250lb self can get 40mph on one of these, you've experienced a modern miracle!  Properly unrestricted, you can maybe get near 40mph, but I don't believe you'll ever get more than 40mph, even down hill with a tailwind because they're still RPM-limited by the CDI.  If you're getting more than 40mph, you've done something else that you're not telling us about.

reg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »
Well Joey you have brought something new to this forum after all. Childish arrogance and an obvious insecurity.
I notice you show yourself as having a Kymco Sento, so why all the jealous postings on the Agility forum?
I think your constant whinging about Agility top speed betrays a good degree of self pity and self annoyance cos you wish that you had got an Agility instead of your sento.
What happened ? are you regularly overtaken by a local guy on an Agility? is this the source of your anger and envy?
Chill out, let it go and just enjoy going to the local store to pick up your mommas shopping on your toy town trainer scoot.
I am just looking back through the threads to see if you listed the first day that you rode it without stabiliser wheels on the back.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 02:10:40 AM »
Kudos to reg.

JJ move along since you obviously know nothing about the capabilites of the Agility or pretty much any 50cc. 

You continue to deny facts after many have advised otherwise.

The only fact that you seem to have stated is the cdi is RPM limited.   However we have all stated our scooters have been derestricted (unrestricted as you say).  This includes removing the RPM limiter of the cdi. 

But me and my fellow Agility riders will ride our secretly modified modern miracles everyday.

To the original poster.  I apologize this thread has been  threadjacked by stupidity. Please listen to the people who ride these scooters daily and know their abilities.  Your scooter can easily hit 40 MPH on a flat surface when properly derestricted.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()