Author Topic: Windscreen buffeting?  (Read 1858 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Windscreen buffeting?
« on: September 22, 2013, 10:51:39 PM »
My Mrs. thinks I should get a windscreen for my LIKE.
It will keep me warmer, etc. as I ride to work in the dark this winter in Ohio.
Well, I'm not crazy about the old geek-look of the blasted things -
I'll look like a middle-aged Englishman on a '60's Vespa going for meat pies at the local pub, or some darned thing.....Rather than my current look of a seriously middle-aged American on a flaming blue & white Kymco LX with sparkling chrome crash bars going for donuts and coffee at Tim's.

See the difference?
On scooters, self image is important.

Also, I frquently encounter high, gusting winds when crossing the dam at the reservoir - and I do not like the sensation I get as I'm buffeted around on my scooter. Each time this happens I think what this would be like if I did have a wind-screen on my scooter. I sure wouldn't want any more buffeting than I'm already getting.
So, is side wind buffeting an issue with wind-screens on a LIKE 200i?
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

McG

• View Profile
Re: Windscreen buffeting?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 01:15:18 AM »
I'd be curious to hear some answers to this, too.  I'll be plowing ahead into the Illinois winter on my scoot and, while I know the windshield tends to cut down a LOT of the frigid wind in the face, I don't fancy having an extra place for wind gusts to grab onto.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »
I can help you guys in regards to this.  I have ridden my Like with and without a full size windshield in varying weather.

As far as side winds go, I have not seen an increase in buffeting, or the wind pulling me around more because of the wind screen.  I have seen a HUGE decrease in buffetting when it comes to head winds. 

Keep this in mind though.  If you have a small windscreen, it won't help very much, or if the windscreen is too low then you'll still get buffetting.  I have adjusted mine to decrease the buffeting as much as possible.  Suprisingly, I had to lower my full size screen. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »
I put a large GIVI on my Like and I love it.  It is quieter...you can hear the blinkers...Helmet with face shield is optional.  The GIVI is probably too high for most riders and I cut mine down 2" from the top and now is perfect.  You also have to trim around the headlight to make it fit better.  Easily done with a grinder.  My wife and I go out and we can have easy conversations even at 30 -40 MPH.  For me it is a no brainer.  The Like is too slow to keep up with highway traffic so I bought a GT 300i yesterday.  I will be putting a windshield on it, too.  I did a little modification to the blinkers so I didn't have to remove them and use the lower blinkers.  Some people don't like windshields but I can't figure out why.  I guess maybe the stigma of not being cool or possibly loss of top speed can make a difference but the windshield on mine for top speed is a wash.  No difference unless I lay down without a windshield, then I gain some top speed but it's too uncomfortable for any distance.  For me, comfort is king.

Croak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:11 AM »
After decades of riding, I've come full circle when it comes to windscreens.  Less is more.  I prefer clean air, and that preference far outweighs any modest increase in weather protection from a barn door in front of me.

Then again, I always wear a good full face helmet and have a huge selection of motorcycle touring gear to choose from...I might feel different if I was trying to commute in the winter in street clothes and a facial reconstruction bucket.
Aprilia Tuono RSV 1000
Kymco Agility City 200i (R16)

Momma bear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 01:01:20 AM »
Never rode with a windscreen so not sure about the buffering.  I would think you could modify it by trimming it out along the edges with chain link and placing some scull emblems over the anchor screws. You're either gonna look tough and most people won't want to bother with you, or you'll look nuts and no one will bother with you. Tough decision.
People300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()