Author Topic: Cold weather/touring windshield Grand Vista Grandvista WindStrom screen  (Read 4349 times)

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
I just wanted to let you guys know that a friend of mine is making based on the comparison-test winning "WindStrom" windshields for Suzuki V-Strom's http://www.windstrom.com, a special adapted windshield kit for the KYMCO Grand Vista.  Price is $160 + shipping (price subject to change over the years) to destination, which is about $15-25 depending where in the US.

The unique thing is, it is a detachable touring shield that rides on the stock shield as a carrier.  The idea behind it is, that if you know you will  have bad/cold weather, or a longer trip planned where it can rain, you put it on; and if it is hot weather again, or you want more air, or just the original look of the Grand Vista, then you take it off in a "minute".

There are clear and bronze tinted windshields. The windshield itself is about 5+ inches taller, and over-all about 6 inches wider than the stock one. It woks best for riders up to 6 ft 1-2inches.  Over that size it requires a taller windshield that is a special order and also much more expensive.

See some basic photos attached

If you are interested please "personal Message" (PM) me, or even faster call/text me: seven-zero-four-nine-six five-nine five-nine-two

from right side

from left side

from driver's side

Comparison clear vs. tint with sunlight from the back  (FYI: the tint is in nature a sort of bronze-smoke color; the sun-set did over exaggerate the colors into red.)

Comparison clear vs. tint from the driver's side

Grand Vista with tinted screen at night.  Not the best picture but shows the cool look of the tinted windshield.

FYI:  The WindStrom windshield kit for the G/V has been designed to look over the top of the screen.  The tint does therefore not affect night visibility, unless you have weak eyes to start with; then the clear windshield should be the choice to start with.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:41:57 PM by windwheeler »

richard1958

• View Profile
Re: New cost effective touring/cold weather windshield for Grand Vista
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:39:24 PM »
Thanks for the post.  You mentioned touring.  Do Kymco Grandvista riders ever go very far from home?  I've reasoned to myself that there aren't many Kymco repair facilities out there so I never go any further than my Automobile Club towing service allows (so as to have it brought home).  What are some of the experienced riders opinions?   Is it the case that I could get say a bad belt replaced at a different make dealorship?  I figure tires I could get, I'm worried about Kymco parts and expertice.  Are batteries available for my Grandvista 250 at other motorcycle/motorscooter dealorships?  Thanks. 

Rich Irvine

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
That looks good. I may want to get one someday as I ride when it's cold, but not much if there's snow and ice.

I took a three day trip this summer with a buddy who rode his Harley Ultraglide. We made quite a pair. I think the total distance was 500 miles. I did have a strange noise in the middle of the trip and stopped by a Honda dealer who took a look at the belt and said it looked good. When I called them before stopping by they said Kym - what? But they checked it out for me. He said they could order parts and hopefully get them the next day, but fortunately that wasn't necessary.

I did take it to my local KYMCO dealer when I got home and they said everything is ok.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

Doug9678

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:41:31 PM »
Thanks for the post.  You mentioned touring.  Do Kymco Grandvista riders ever go very far from home?  I've reasoned to myself that there aren't many Kymco repair facilities out there so I never go any further than my Automobile Club towing service allows (so as to have it brought home).  What are some of the experienced riders opinions?   Is it the case that I could get say a bad belt replaced at a different make dealorship?  I figure tires I could get, I'm worried about Kymco parts and expertice.  Are batteries available for my Grandvista 250 at other motorcycle/motorscooter dealorships?  Thanks. 

Rich Irvine

I have had mine 3 years (4500 miles)  most of my trips are 6 miles just around town - have gone 75 miles a few times
2009 GrandVista 249cc
Amsoil 10w-40
Iridium Plug

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »
Cold weather, bad weather, a better windshield helps.  I will hop on the GV and ride 35 miles right now, and in the morning I'll come back at 50F temperature and damp air.  You bet I will put the taller screen on right now in 2 minutes before I leave...  THAT's why this one is great for quick on-off, so to speak a "convertible screen", 2 in 1.

PS: just arrived at destination and this stretch was a joy to ride in a bit colder weather. One other thing is the benefit of reduced noise.  I ride quite fast on longer distances, usually e.g 64mph GPS (73 mph indicated) on the 55 mph Highway.  With the original screen it is very noisy.  Also, with this WindStrom screen no loss on  higher speed performance, which I had with the GIVI that I could feel like a wind-brake especially with some head wind.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:20:35 AM by windwheeler »

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:39:56 AM »
Wow, your GV is clean!!!  Not a bad price.  I paid ~$180 for the givi and ~$180 for the givi again when I cracked it laying my scoot down in san last Dec.
PaulC

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: Cost effective cold weather/touring windshield Grand Vista WindStrom screen
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:35:26 PM »
Thanks for the post.  You mentioned touring.  Do Kymco Grandvista riders ever go very far from home?  I've reasoned to myself that there aren't many Kymco repair facilities out there so I never go any further than my Automobile Club towing service allows (so as to have it brought home).  What are some of the experienced riders opinions?   Is it the case that I could get say a bad belt replaced at a different make dealorship?  I figure tires I could get, I'm worried about Kymco parts and expertice.  Are batteries available for my Grandvista 250 at other motorcycle/motorscooter dealorships?

You need to trust your KYMCO, its not the Chinese bad quality that will let you down and get stranded. KYMCO's run and run. Do your regular scheduled service as suggested by Kymco and 99% you'll have no problem. 

Ref: Batteries: put a battery tender on it if you don't use it often, or you will create a problem there. New batteries are easy to get, gel cell/AGM batteries are more expensive but require much less maintenance, more reliable, and last longer.

FYI: I have bought my first 05 Grand Vista about a year ago in August, the second one an 08 G/V in March of this year , and together on both I put about  7000 miles on in one year...  the first one had a minor cooling leak that I caught in time, otherwise NO PROBLEM and I rode them also longer distances including 75 miles up the mountain, or 90 miles distance at true 70 mph average speed on the interstate, and no problem.   

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Cost effective cold weather/touring windshield Grand Vista WindStrom screen
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 03:01:35 AM »
Just wanted to mention, I have posted new larger pictures of the tinted and clear WindStrom winshields in the top post at the beginning of this thread.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:12:02 AM by windwheeler »

Boudroux

• View Profile
Regarding trusting the GV for long distance. Last summer I rode my Grandvista from Portland Maine to Key West Florida. Loved the ride, loved Key West... I'm still here and so is my GV!

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
WOW, that's about 1800 miles one way...    Yes, no doubt, the G/V will run and run...  just eats up tires if used in the "twisties" because of the little wheel it has...  I have put to date about  10,000 miles on two used G/V's.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:15:10 PM by windwheeler »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()