Author Topic: Kansas Kymco  (Read 939 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas Kymco
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 04:22:09 PM »
Crossbolt my neurologist had a hard time finding what he thought led to the stroke.  I don't do drugs and very light alcohol consumption,  they did another MRI to see if it was a tumor ( wasn't). They think it was just high blood pressure. Just dealing with the cards I have been delt.
My Dad did not do stuff, either except for maybe riding motorcycles! Never even dreamed to imply any such in your case! Randy, on the other hand, seemed to have several warnings which he ignored. My Dad's case may have been a test of his faith. Don't know and will not speculate. Only he could answer that.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 04:42:46 PM »
Having had stroke 10-15 years ago---Mayo Hosp---I know what pain in the butt they can be,, but I survived.  Took me 6 months to put pants on alone, shoes longer.  Now 83 in a few days maybe 98% ok---balance may be problem----first time I tried 2 wheels, dressed up in my Aerostich jacket/pants, motorcycle helmet, gloves, boots  ....and then my bicycle to see if I could  stay upright...I did.   Riding scooter, Honda Silverwing the hardest skill to re-learn----up hill starts turning right/feet up.  Did it.   Past years  traveling(XTown 300i)TN  woods noticed I did not have the real directional control I wanted----I am over 1.4 million mile rider---think you need real precise control to stay alive---therefore, real motorcycle with foot rest, tank to grip, ability to stand on foot pegs good----no goofy handlebars or cruiser foot pegs----My last motorcycle Honda CB300F, worked well for control.  Looking at new bike scooters right now, but dealers seem to be adding too many extra costs to purchase price-----Many years after stroke, my weight is normal/blood pressure normal and...I am still alive!   No Kymco dealers within 100 miles.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 04:49:21 PM »
Adding to my post---as older rider, never ride anything on 2 wheels you cannot pick up alone!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2022, 05:12:06 PM »
Adding to my post---as older rider, never ride anything on 2 wheels you cannot pick up alone!
Good advice, John!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zonker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2022, 09:01:39 PM »
Having had stroke 10-15 years ago---Mayo Hosp---I know what pain in the butt they can be,, but I survived.  Took me 6 months to put pants on alone, shoes longer.  Now 83 in a few days maybe 98% ok---balance may be problem----first time I tried 2 wheels, dressed up in my Aerostich jacket/pants, motorcycle helmet, gloves, boots  ....and then my bicycle to see if I could  stay upright...I did.   Riding scooter, Honda Silverwing the hardest skill to re-learn----up hill starts turning right/feet up.  Did it.   Past years  traveling(XTown 300i)TN  woods noticed I did not have the real directional control I wanted----I am over 1.4 million mile rider---think you need real precise control to stay alive---therefore, real motorcycle with foot rest, tank to grip, ability to stand on foot pegs good----no goofy handlebars or cruiser foot pegs----My last motorcycle Honda CB300F, worked well for control.  Looking at new bike scooters right now, but dealers seem to be adding too many extra costs to purchase price-----Many years after stroke, my weight is normal/blood pressure normal and...I am still alive!   No Kymco dealers within 100 miles.

You've got the right idea. Mental attitude is 90% of staying alive. I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and had a bone marrow transplant 15 months ago.
Life is good. So, I bought a few scooters to tinker around with :)
I'm new to the scooter scene as a 63 year old man.
My mind however is still a teenager and wants to ride a Hayabusa, but my body and reflexes know better than to even try.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2022, 09:43:53 AM »
You've got the right idea. Mental attitude is 90% of staying alive. I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and had a bone marrow transplant 15 months ago.
Life is good. So, I bought a few scooters to tinker around with :)
I'm new to the scooter scene as a 63 year old man.
My mind however is still a teenager and wants to ride a Hayabusa, but my body and reflexes know better than to even try.

63 eh?  You'll be lowering the average age on here then!  Welcome to all us like-minded souls, remember growing old is unavoidable, but growing up is optional!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 03:52:16 PM »
KK,
You've given a darn tough report here....
Details are necessary - but you can imagine the amazing recoveries I saw at military hospitals 5+ decades ago - and they are still happening at our local VA hospitals.
And while you may not have the very fit young bodies that those soldiers had when struck down - you seem to have a key ingredient to the best recovery possible: your positive attitude!
Good for you!

And I could tell you a funny story about how I learned to drive *on a busted up 3/4 ton Army truck with the standard tranny during my final days in Vietnam. The theory was that if you went fast enough you'd be OK if you hit a mine. ("swept & cleared each morning" by the S. Vietnamese soldiers. Sure!)

And as for ages here.....
who was it said,** "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Best wishes to you KK~!

Tom
*I'd only ridden motorcycles....no cars. Well, my crazy grandmother let me drive her 'Wide Track" Pontiac once when I was 11.
** he was 23
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 03:54:35 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 11:38:39 PM »
63 eh?  You'll be lowering the average age on here then!  Welcome to all us like-minded souls, remember growing old is unavoidable, but growing up is optional!
My age as well 63 years young.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 11:50:42 PM »
John that's  encouraging ( which I need ).  Still have 3 500cc FI Kymco's,  1 400cc Yamaha Majesty, 2 650 BMW'S CS'S, 1 650 BMW GS in the shed. Still have a project 200 in the garage in peices, would like to see Iahawk take that one on.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2022, 09:52:22 PM »
Still have a project 200 in the garage in peices, would like to see Iahawk take that one on.

Kansas Kymco, if I can convince my wife to let me add another scoot (and in this case I'm sure I could) I'd be honored to finish that one up for you!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2022, 12:34:21 PM »

Is this the same John Grinsel appearing next to Andy Goldfine in a recent issue of Rider magazine?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()