Author Topic: True value of this forum  (Read 5799 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
True value of this forum
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
Many of us have gone on and on about how great this forum is and I am not about to counter that. I want to embellish! I went back to the original post on the DT300i and worked forward while on hold with the IRS the other day and found a couple of factoids about the character of some of the contributors to this forum. First, the general tone is one of wanting to truly help the other guy. Second, there are some really bright folks on here with good solutions and great ideas. Finally, not limiting in any way, there is a generally a calm, if not gracious and humble nature to most of us. For example, Whisper first told us of the initialize procedure for the DT300i. I missed that when I had some idle problems on my new DT. I learned from the service manual received from the dealer as a free download and I learned that from one of you guys on this forum. The crummy idle showed up a few more times and it was corrected by initializing. This has been passed on by others and me more than once to solve other riders problems with this bike. The big point here is we can get some answers here that NO DEALER CAN SUPPLY. My dealer has not heard of one complaint on the DT since most of those riders have heard of this solution ON THIS FORUM.

I have gotten links from you guys over the years for the Yager and the Like. There are "gurus" like Motorandy123 on the Yager, just to mention one. Stig has the cleanest Like and he rides the crap out of his. Vivo has some of the greatest input that we all listen carefully. Deedee, 81 year old Canadian provides inspiration as one of the oldest riders here and still going. These are just a few of a great community I am proud to be associated. Keep on keepin' on!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Philly

• View Profile
Re: True value of this forum
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:24 PM »
+1 on that. There are a lot of helpful people on this forum. We can all learn from each other can't we.

Hope you made out o.k. with the IRS.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:35:39 PM »
 ;D
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
Thanks Crossbolt for your post----
Yep, I go to my 13 yr old daughter to work issues with my android phone ....and I go to this forum for help with my scooter. I get much more than just technical assistance here - I also get encouragement, riding advice, a bit of wisdom and a lot of smiles.
A year ago I came here to educate myself about KYMCO products even before purchasing my LIKE 200i. The info veteran members shared with me was a big reason why I bought this scoot. The members of this forum continue to be a big reason for the enjoyment I get from my scooter. Living in this small town, I have no scooter buddies except for those who I meet with here. I'm OK with that - scootering on this LIKE is a kick in the pants.....and you guys tell me enough lies to satisfy my literary interests.
I have noticed that I meet ladies and gentlemen here. Full stop. I do wonder if that might be a characteristic of most scooter riders?
 Goodness knows there is plenty of rudeness on display on the internet....but not so much here. (again, I speculate that riding a scooter might cure grumpiness)
People share their scootering knowledge and their scootering enjoyment here.
So, I like to come here.
And some video candy of the 2014 Xciting 400i (I like pictures w/my stories)

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 02:53:42 AM »
Thanks Crossbolt... however, the sad thing is that, just like life itself, some have to go (leave)... When I joined this forum, I have zero knowledge of scooters...motorcycles and cars, yes.. but none on scooters... and I owe a lot to many members who are not here anymore... It's a pity because, I also want the new ones to "meet" them... I know they still peek sometimes but I wish they will come back..someday.... 

One great value of this forum is that this is an archive of scooter information and not just a place to ask questions then leave... My suggestion to newbies is the read old posts... you will be surprised on the amount of information and discussions here...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:06:47 AM by Vivo »

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 06:29:20 AM »
Love reading the older (and newer ) posts, as I almost al;ways learn something and I ALWAYS get a smile. Don't always post, but- am here often. And, BIY, I wish the 400 was available here! Might actually upgrade (again) from the DT 300i to the 400 .  :-*
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »
Yeah, and pictures! Some of you are really good at the pictures. Actually, I had a good time with the lady at the IRS 800 number, got some good answers (the ones I wanted to hear) and was generally charmed by this nice person.

I get really nostalgic from time to time hence the post.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »

I get really nostalgic from time to time hence the post.

Karl
Crossbolt....
Read the label on your "Post" raisin bran....you have to increase your fiber gradually....
You go right to 7 bowls of that stuff a day you're gonna have nostalgia and 6 kinds of other issues!
Take it from One Who Knows.
(or call back that IRS lady - if she's a senior she'll tell you the same thing)
Stig (as an old medic, The Stig is always trolling for medical/scooter issues here...No thanks necessary.)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:09:58 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
I could not agree more with the original poster.  :)

Good boards are hard to find and I would rather visit here than something like the adv riders forum (who seem to me are a bunch of asp holes).
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 07:59:42 PM »
Crossbolt,  I agree with you on this forum. Before I purchased my 2012 Agility 125, I checked out this forum. I had readnothing but good things about the Kymco brand. This convinced me these bikes were better than the 2 previous Chinese 50ccs I had owned. I have learned so much from this forum. Everyone Iis helpful on this site.

In the last week I learned how the majority of people in  my current town of Las Vegas, Nevada hates scooter riders. A pickup truck driver killed two sooter riders that were at the traffic light waitng for it to turn green. This on St. Patrick's night. Instead blaming the person in the pickup truck, the majority of people on the local facebook news sites blamed tbe scooter people. A few even said scooters should be banned altogether. These people are morons for suggesting this. 8)
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »
Stig,
As an EMT-Intermediate I will troll those medical posts along with you. Perhaps we could offer some First Responder info to riders who may (hopefully NOT ) encounter the need to use them ?

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 01:26:08 AM »
I could not agree more with the original poster.  :)

Good boards are hard to find and I would rather visit here than something like the adv riders forum (who seem to me are a bunch of asp holes).
ADV has good folks, but the trick is to stay away from the sections that draw jerks in. The regional sections, scooters, and other sections are loaded with excellent info and great people. Just stay outta the basement.. Nothing but people looking for a chance to argue.
I've been on ADV since early 2003 and it's not the same place as it was when I joined over a decade ago.  I now seldom leave the Central Forum on there. :)

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 02:23:56 AM »
Paper-

I've looked at ADVrider and read enough to know I have no interest in that group.

I co-administrate a Facebook Group ( Scooters Unite ) and we have a great bunch of Scooter enthusiasts on there, as well . A few are on this site.

Love it when you can go to a site/forum and feel welcome and get advice, rather than criticism! That's why I read (posting more, now ) a lot here.

Feel free to check out the FB page I mentioned.

All ( who are willing to help others/enthusiasts ) are welcome!

;D

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 02:30:15 AM »
 To repeat CROSSBOLTs sentiments, thank you all. I knew nothing about KYMCO until I started reading   this forum. After my long ride today on my new toy, I washed her up. Afterwards, she wouldn't start. I panicked, thinking I wet something important. Then.... I remembered what I have read so many times here......CHECK THE KILL SWITCH FIRST.. I felt foolish, yet relieved that it had been drilled in by so many posts. Thank you all, as I am having a blast.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 02:49:12 AM »
Paper-

I've looked at ADVrider and read enough to know I have no interest in that group.

The issue with ADV is the same as any forum, you're always going to get a cross section of folks..  Good and bad.. And with ADV, there's 10's of thousands of users. I've personally met some great friends at gatherings through there, but unfortunately I've met people who aren't only jerks online, but in person too..  :-[

And I've been a member of a LOT of forums, and a moderator/administrator of a few, too.. It's tough to balance a forum.. One will have too few people with no info, and the next one will be over populated and have undesirables who do nothing but want to cause issues.

As I've always said, I love a forum that acts like a bunch of people with similar interests, sitting around a campfire. Sharing info, stories, laughing and learning.

This forum has one issue with me because it covers all the models, many of which I don't know anything about at all. I'm riding a 2005 People, but it's only one of 7 bikes I own. I've enjoyed reading older posts on the 2 strokes and there's a lot of really great info in them. And this general discussion section is a great area for just that.  ;D

The offer for the Facebook location is greatly appreciated, but I'm not a Facebook user and I'm not interested in becoming one. Another great part of the internet is freedom and ability to just not go to areas by choice. You're not interested in ADV, and I'm not a Facebook user.  8)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()