Author Topic: New Like 50 2t + Newbie Rider = good juju (life, breaking in a new engine, etc.)  (Read 26518 times)

Like50ninja

• View Profile
I own a like 50 2t too and I just want to say I love it as well
I have had mine for a little over a year and had a lot of the same troubles upgrading it
I live in Raleigh and there are not any reliable mechanics in this city for scooters that I have found
This was my first scoot and I made all of the installs myself and started with a new exhaust but because I've
Never done anything with a 2 stroke I had no idea that I needed to rejet so I baked my exhaust and scratched up my piston and cylinder. After buying a new pipe and installing a malossi 70cc kit, and an arreche 18mm carb and 7g dr pulley weights with a 90 main jet and my air box derestricted and the rubber hose still attached it runs almost perfect. The only issues I have are it stalls when i stop at lights and when I engage the throttle sometimes it feels like it takes a second before it accelerates, but it only happens every once in a while. Also when I hit 47mph it feels like I just loose all horsepower and my scoot won't accelerate any higher and then if u leave it full throttle at 47mph for to long it feels like it has a small back fire. I get really crappy gas mileage now as well. Any thought on how I might resolve these issues? I just bought a malossi variator wheel, delta clutch and bell, and kevlar belt but havnt had a chance to install yet, trying to read up and figure what all the different color springs mean. Did u ever install the CDI, cause i still have the stock CDI and I was thinking that might be why it tops out. Any help would be greatly appreciated

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
You sound like you have a few easy issues... The small bog off idle should be in the idle mix screw. Do you know how to adjust it for the best mix? How many turns out is it right now, and which side of the carb is it on? The air box side or the intake side?. I think you are right about the rev limiter too. There are some threads here on de restricting yours instead of buying a new one. Try the search feature to find people 2t de restriction. or cdi de rest. people. post back and we'll get it right
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Zombie's the man, for sure. I do know that regarding the stck cdi, it is an 8-pin, so some wire cutting and splicing may be involved. The stock carbs on these are functional, at best. As far as springs go, Zombie put it in layman's terms further back in the thread "The 1000 works well on a "stock" setup. The 1500 on a mild tuned setup, and the 2000 for a high out-put engine."
Do keep us posted, please, as to the progress.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Hey Wass... :-*
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
What is up, sir?! Still taking it easy with the scoot.  Ordered a set of K58s from Josh. He's the coolest (and very fair in pricing.) I still haven't put the stiffer contra on (what with the new bits, I want to wait until break-in is complete before messing with the mix again), but I do have the Gates kevlar on (it was installed just prior to melt-down). I'm not entirely convinced that the stock belt doesn't run better. When I get the new tires installed, I'm going to switch back to the kymco belt for comparison and after 1000k are on the new piston/cylinder set-up, will move forward. I hope all is well in your world. Did you ever pick up a new daily scoot?
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
You've got a great grasp on tuning yours. The Gates may well be shorter/thinner than Oem. It's soooooo hard to find the right belt. Maybe the next size up will out perform both of the belts you have. I have 4 NEW belts that just don't work right so the spares are here...
 I did get the cash Ive been waiting on, and have called three dealers to go pick one up this week. SR 50 R Factory. I have 3 prices that are identical, and I will walk in with cash to see who bites. I would prefer to have THEM send the cpu/fuel controller to HGT for remapping to cover warranty issues. 
The rest is gonna be like Xmas here. ZX parts from all over the globe, and HGT's parts from Good old USA! I'm already digging it.

Like50ninja

• View Profile
I have 2 screws, one that controls the needle and then another one on the left near the intake. Not sure what the second screw adjusts. I know when i rejetted after installing the kit and exhaust I tried everything and wound up on 90. 85 was running lean, but 90 seems to be running rich. Also when I adjust the needle screw until it stops bogging when idling it runs like sh**. I'm thinking my reed petals might be messed up which i think could cause problems. I cant seem to find reed petals that fit or a new reed valve assembly. The carbon fiber reeds that came with the 70cc kit where to small. Also I installed the variator last week and now my top speed can reach 50. Didnt have the right tools to change the clutch and clutch bell though. Planning on getting the tools and installing them soon. I also wanted to try and install an new air filter any idea how big my jet would need to be. When I first installed the carb I put on a new air filter and nothing between 90 and 110 seemed to be right. Thanks zombie for the response and any other help u might provide

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
The small screw near the intake is the idle mix screw. In your case (near the manifold) it is a fuel control screw. How many turns out from snug is the screw when it idles best?

Like50ninja

• View Profile
It idles well at 6 turns from snug. That seems like a lot??

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
That is showing your Idle jet is too small. You have to remove yours, and read the size stamped on it. You will most likely need to go up 2 sizes. (if yours is a 38 then go to a 42). Once you get that corrected your Main jet will be easier to tune.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Ps   The correct idle jet will need between 1 1/2 - 3 turns out on the mix screw

Like50ninja

• View Profile
Damn ok that's cool, I have a 90 jet and the jets increase in increments of 5 so I'll try it with a 100 jet
If my jet is bigger won't that cause my engine to run even more rich. I even took my scooter to a shop and asked them to jet it properly paid them 135 and now I'm finding out they didn't do it right what dicks! Also I take it since my jets are not right that could be what's causing the issue with the high end loss of acceleration and small back fire?
Thanks again for all the assistance

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
I am talking about the pilot jet Not the main. The pilot is Much smaller. That is the one that controls idle thru mid range.
Your backfire/loss of power is from the cdi restriction. It prevents any higher rpm's. Find the de restrict thread, and take care of that, and post back with your Pilot jet size.

Like50ninja

• View Profile
I see cool! Thanks I upped the pilot one size when i did all the mods and I think it's a 25. They also increase in increments of 5 so I'll buy a 35 and see how that works
And I'll find that de restricting thread for my CDI
Thanks again for your help

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
No problem at all. Your 25 pilot wont run a toaster so that is you biggest issue right now. I'd get a 35-40-45. My bet would be 40.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()