Author Topic: Diagnostics Advice sought (X-Town 300i)  (Read 3178 times)

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Diagnostics Advice sought (X-Town 300i)
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2023, 07:32:47 PM »
@Neil955i, good to see nothing more happened. I've seen several such razed vent- blades recently, and ....?
Nothing serious.
Just in case you don't get the spares from your dealer:
-you and your scoot can live without this inner alu piece which is mounted on your CVT casing, air casing only.
-if you don't get it, leave it like it is or take it off

-in case, your CVT fan is not available forever give me the measures OD/ID/widh and I might find one for you.

After looking at your demaged CVT face once again , it's not beond repair, if your dealer won't deliver.
Drill out this two holes carefully with a 6mm drill
( few mm in only), clean out all alu shavings, smoothen this fins edges with a file.
Leftover fins will still be able to produce enough airdraft to cool your clutch.

Yes, LOCTITE blue and 90 nm does the trick.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:47:27 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 08:25:45 PM »
Yep - after looking at your pics...my first thought as well.

If this was a road-side repair. Snug up that new nut - and motor on! Unless you were desert riding - the cooling lost from your newly shaved "flying-wheel" won't hurt a thing.

"Blue-tight"...i use a little. One nice thing about having an impact wrench  to loosen things....no worries about flippin' the scooter over when trying to break those "blued" nuts loose! It's either going to strip the shaft....or come loose!

Glad it was no more than as expected - perhaps the only thing serious was the scary noises it was making!
There are a few reasons why I don't run length-of-life contests on my belts......as some do.
Paying visits to the nuts in there is one.

Good job!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2023, 05:03:45 AM »
Aye, a new piece would be nice if money and availability are acceptable. Dressing burrs if not and if inner surfaces nominal. Blue threadlock definitely!

Ach! Dealers and their techs! I shant vent!

Back together and the test ride report!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2023, 08:12:57 AM »
Thanks Ruffus, Tom & Karl. The local dealer seems confident that he can get a variator outer for about £40 “next day” so I’m happy to wait a few days and see.  Inner surface of fan seems close to pristine, so I'll bear in mind the suggestion of smoothing off the burrs and reassembling if the wait for parts is going to be too long Karl.  CVT belt seems OK - no black debris or stress fractures-and no flat spots on rollers, so I’m tempted to wait until 15K miles before going back in there to replace. 

Whilst I’d rather it hadn’t happened, it has been a useful learning opportunity for me and stripping the CVT no longer holds that fear of the unknown for me!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 11:22:18 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2023, 10:36:39 AM »
Neil, one more thing came in my mind.
As I said, I saw several outer plates off lately.

Some were simply "unscrewed" because of torque or lack of "stoplock", others were off because of wobbling crankshaft. To check this exentricity precisely you would need a micrometer tool which is out of cost range for onetime use.

Pls watch with a lamp and maybe a magnifier this oilseal which hugs your crankshaft towards CVT:
-are there (even minimal) traces of oil?
-if YES, change this oilseal too
-size is written on it (i.g. 14-28-6/7)
-NO oil smear, GOOD
-YES oils smear? see above

Then check excentrity of your crankshaft:
(Should not be more than 0.02mm)
You cannot see this minimal wobble, but you can feel it if you hold a pencil with its flat side on your crankshaft.
(scoot on center stand, garage open, CVT all off, motor running on idle, gloves donned)
Pls see pic how to place the pencil.

IF there is a feelable wobble (like a camshaft), get a new oilseal for peace of mind.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2023, 11:16:29 AM »
Thanks Ruffus, my eldest son who is a mechanic has looked at this and can feel absolutely no play in the shaft, but I will check for any oil smear as you suggest!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2023, 11:48:20 PM »
Thanks Ruffus, Tom & Karl. The local dealer seems confident that he can get a variator outer for about £40 “next day” so I’m happy to wait a few days and see.  Inner surface of fan seems close to pristine, so I'll bear in mind the suggestion of smoothing off the burrs and reassembling if the wait for parts is going to be too long Karl.  CVT belt seems OK - no black debris or stress fractures-and no flat spots on rollers, so I’m tempted to wait until 15K miles before going back in there to replace. 

Whilst I’d rather it hadn’t happened, it has been a useful learning opportunity for me and stripping the CVT no longer holds that fear of the unknown for me!
Meant to comment on this earlier Neil.
Yep - I too was a little nervous the first time opening up my scooter's CVT system :)
I'm a pretty good carpenter - and a bit of an a/c VW mechanic - but CVT's and scooters!? Lots could go wrong!

Fortunately - working on VWs taught me to be careful tightening things into alloys!

Things seemed easy enough in the manual, but there is Murphy's Law. ....then the belt cover stuck fast like it was welded on my LIKE200i, etc.
There were two 'pry-points' - but I had to figure safe ways to make use of them.
"Don't get the belt cover bolts mixed up - they're different lengths!"
Figured out from youtube that the lower skirt panel releases with a slid to the rear - don't pull!
And, as always - pay attention to how things were fitted - sequence of the washers - faced which way?!
I took photos!

I had to go thru this 4 times! (LIKE, Forza, Burgman, Liberty)
After my 3rd - the Burgman - I made as certain as I could, by studying manuals (official LIBERTY/ Piaggio manual download, $7.99) - that the Liberty was not going to be my undoing!

The LIBERTY's surprises??? .....torqx fasteners were all shot in there by very angry men !! TIGHT! so tight, some stripped.
Other than that....no worries.

You are probably like me, I just didn't want to screw up a perfectly good little machine!
I can wrench a little - still a crap dancer!

I tell ya - the Italians have a special way of writing English instructions for their Vietnamese made scooters!!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2023, 10:24:11 AM »
Thanks for this Stig, another useful set of things to remember!  Some thoughts on what pou say, hopefully in red below:

Meant to comment on this earlier Neil.
Yep - I too was a little nervous the first time opening up my scooter's CVT system :)
I'm a pretty good carpenter - and a bit of an a/c VW mechanic - but CVT's and scooters!? Lots could go wrong!

Fortunately - working on VWs taught me to be careful tightening things into alloys!  Tell me, I welll recall the pannier stays on my FJ1200 which bolted into alloy frame members!

Things seemed easy enough in the manual, but there is Murphy's Law. ....then the belt cover stuck fast like it was welded on my LIKE200i, etc.  Fortunately mine came free relatively easily after a tap with a wooden mallet.
There were two 'pry-points' - but I had to figure safe ways to make use of them.
"Don't get the belt cover bolts mixed up - they're different lengths!"  I'll double check, but I think the 9 of mine are all uniform lengths.
Figured out from youtube that the lower skirt panel releases with a slid to the rear - don't pull!  No body panels in my way, yay!
And, as always - pay attention to how things were fitted - sequence of the washers - faced which way?!
I took photos!

I had to go thru this 4 times! (LIKE, Forza, Burgman, Liberty)
After my 3rd - the Burgman - I made as certain as I could, by studying manuals (official LIBERTY/ Piaggio manual download, $7.99) - that the Liberty was not going to be my undoing!

The LIBERTY's surprises??? .....torqx fasteners were all shot in there by very angry men !! TIGHT! so tight, some stripped.
Other than that....no worries.

You are probably like me, I just didn't want to screw up a perfectly good little machine!
I can wrench a little - still a crap dancer!

I tell ya - the Italians have a special way of writing English instructions for their Vietnamese made scooters!!  Yep, thank goodness for YouTube videos on how to...

Stig
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2023, 05:51:20 PM »
Update:  Well I've dressed and drilled the variator fan just in case I have to reinstall it, but I spent a while on the phone to my parts guy this morning.  All except the filter element* ordered and should be in tomorrow.  The element is a non-standard part apparently?  Really?  On a scoot bought from Kymco UK?  Can anyone explain that?  (Or even better supply me with a Kymco part number that he may recognise!)

* On my CVT this sits (sat?) on the inside of the CVT cover opposite the variator fan but was utterly destroyed by the fan blade.  It's held in place by 3 M5 x 12mm allen bolts
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2023, 08:15:52 PM »
If you are referring to the foam filter element that fits in the plastic cage over the inlet to the CVT case, mine on the Downtown came apart with cleaning, and I had a sheet of foam about 1/2 in thick and I stretched it between the plastic cage and fastened it down. I did not oil it and it filters everything but the real fine particles. Many scooter CVT inlet have no filter. But some filterof the intake is best.

Art 

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2023, 08:48:35 PM »
@NorWeWa, no I guess he refers to this metal part with three bolts on his pic

@Neil955i, like I wrote earlier, if your dealer doesn't get this "filterelement" or wants gold for it, just leave it as it is or take it out. Has no function except keeping bigger trash from hitting your CVT.

I've seen such parts on import vehicles, here in
 Italy it's not standard.

There are several different CVT covers, of which one has those threads to put this grating, another which has appliances (but no opening) for kickstarter.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:03:13 PM by Ruffus »

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2023, 10:19:37 PM »
https://kymco.at/pub/media/Download/Kymco/SMXTown300ABD2EN.pdf   From the picture of the CVT cover it looks like the filter is not there. The filter is shown in section 3-8 page 47 of the manual. 

Art 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:21:39 PM by NorWeWa »

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2023, 08:29:07 AM »
https://kymco.at/pub/media/Download/Kymco/SMXTown300ABD2EN.pdf   From the picture of the CVT cover it looks like the filter is not there. The filter is shown in section 3-8 page 47 of the manual. 

Art

Brilliant Art, that’s the little beggar I’m after!  All I need now is a part number.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2023, 08:30:39 AM »
@NorWeWa, no I guess he refers to this metal part with three bolts on his pic

@Neil955i, like I wrote earlier, if your dealer doesn't get this "filterelement" or wants gold for it, just leave it as it is or take it out. Has no function except keeping bigger trash from hitting your CVT.

I've seen such parts on import vehicles, here in
 Italy it's not standard.

There are several different CVT covers, of which one has those threads to put this grating, another which has appliances (but no opening) for kickstarter.

Worse case scenario Ruffus, yes I’ll leave it out. Would prefer to get one if I can though.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2023, 03:44:45 PM »

.25" mesh and window screen....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()