Scooters - Big Bore > Xciting 700i

An interesting issue.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Forbes1964:
Sounds like it may be an additional problem , especially since it usually starts later even with a low battery. But I agree that replacing the battery may be a good starting point. Then perhaps a relay or something may be sticking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT:
I can vouch for actual testing on the DT300i but anything less than 10.5 volts while cranking is suspect and 9.5 or less is a no start. It will turn over but not fire. Kymco ECU very similar on several models we have had so the conclusion is that 9.5 volts for most all models.

Ernst:
I have my eye on it.
Today I had to "give it some gas" to get it to start after it was parked at the store.
I agree that there may be more than one issue.
I can't see how the RPM gauge zooms to 5000 trying to crank at times except for some electrical issue.
I'll have money for a new battery shortly.

Ernst:
I now have a new battery here.
It is on charger right now.
I bought a "jump start" unit and when I anticipated the scooter wouldn't start easy I used it.  Also used it when unexpectedly I needed to use it.
 Today I was riding to the local Walmart when the scooter lost power as if it ran out of gas.
I stopped and jumped it. It started and ran a short time and once again stopped running like it was out of gas.
There is half a tank.
I called for a tow.
Like before after it sat for 30 to 40 minutes it started up. Now it seems to run for a little while and then dies like it is out of gas.

My plan  here is to change oil and filter, order and change fuel filter and also swap in the new battery.
The things that come to mind are low oil pressure, blocked fuel flow and worn out battery.

Any other suggestions?  I thought to ask.

EDIT:

I have changed the battery. It is the Banshee 14BS
That is the same size as the 12AH OEM but 2 more Amp Hours.
Perky thing.
 Don't think you can get anything bigger in the battery hole because you can't.
I had to shoehorn it into the battery hole. The trick was a tuna can lid to lift up the plastic lip.

Okay I see that the scooter runs until the gas flow stops. It started this today. It will travel about 1/4 mile.
The CELP (check engine) light comes on and the manual says this is a Fuel injection system issue.
That would explain the original issue of why it sometimes doesn't start and now explains why it shuts the fuel off after a few minutes running and lights up the check engine light. It will start after 30 - 40 minutes after that.

I welcome input but think this scooter needs to have some shop time.

Ernst:
It's going into the shop. The Shop is 100 miles away. I am all alone with my Kymco in the Central Valley California. It appears that it may be the fuel pump/ fuel injection system.
 Things are very backed up for the one Dealership I know can do the right job.  I trust that Man. I am in queue. It Goes in on October 8th and I get it back who knows when if parts are needed to be ordered
It's a 100 mile Tow and thankfully AAA is there to help. Seriously AAA is a hella value. I joined today. I also have 100 mile towing on my Progressive insurance but when ya think about it $120 vrs $800 cash out of pocket... AAA wins,

So the problem with it not starting at times has something to do with fuel pressure and the pump maybe? The ethanol in the gas could have caused some problems.  I just do not know.  I would think with less then 3k miles on it this wouldn't happen.

It is over my head when it needs a computer readout. I guess I'll have an update closer to November.
Maybe this will help someone else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version