Author Topic: 2016 K-Pipe 125 Owner  (Read 31222 times)

woodsrat

• View Profile
Re: 2016 K-Pipe 125 Owner
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:02 AM »
I  forgot to mention I got the stock carb out and found that the mixture screw cap is glued on with the equivalent of silicone seal.  Unfortunately the screw isn't a normal slotted one but what appears to be a 3/4 moon shape.  By liberally spraying the screw with carb cleaner to remove the sealant I was able to get it out with a small flat screwdriver and needlenose pliers.  Once out you can remove any remaining sealant with carb cleaner.

I was going to cut a slot in the mixture screw but after the results with the Mikuni currently on it I screwed it back in and put the stock carb/manifold into the "K-Pipe parts removed" box.  If you're going to retain the stock carb remove the cap and slot the mixture screw so it can be quickly and easily adjusted.

We got lucky here.  Sometimes these caps are a real bitch to get off the carbs.

Now if we could find a conventional slide/needle assemble that can be adjusted we could probably figure out some improvements without replacing the carb with the Mikuni setup and retain the air box to boot.

doublej

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
Might find something at www.dratv.com
Worth a look anyway.

Buckybuck

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
Great to see some activity here again :)

Two questions. I looked in the Quote Owner's Manual Unquote and couldn't find the answers.

1. What is the purpose of that little light bulb that's to the upper right of the low-beam headlight? It doesn't come on on my K-Pipe. My assumption is that maybe it's a running light for possibly the rest of the world that doesn't require an always-on low beam. But I'm just guessing.

2. Are there supposed to be three settings on the odometer? Mine has three settings that it transitions between when you press the left button for a few seconds--accumulated mileage, trip meter, and whatever that third numeric reading is. Whatever it's supposed to be, there's no ODO or Trip legend that displays below it like what displays when at the other two positions, and it's resettable. The "Owner's Manual" claims the odometer has a blinking oil change indicator function. Is that what this is supposed to be used for? I guess it could be used as a Trip Meter B, just like a real touring bike.

MJR

• View Profile
Re: 2016 K
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2017, 04:25:52 PM »
Great to see some activity here again :)

Two questions. I looked in the Quote Owner's Manual Unquote and couldn't find the answers.

1. What is the purpose of that little light bulb that's to the upper right of the low-beam headlight? It doesn't come on on my K-Pipe. My assumption is that maybe it's a running light for possibly the rest of the world that doesn't require an always-on low beam. But I'm just guessing.

2. Are there supposed to be three settings on the odometer? Mine has three settings that it transitions between when you press the left button for a few seconds--accumulated mileage, trip meter, and whatever that third numeric reading is. Whatever it's supposed to be, there's no ODO or Trip legend that displays below it like what displays when at the other two positions, and it's resettable. The "Owner's Manual" claims the odometer has a blinking oil change indicator function. Is that what this is supposed to be used for? I guess it could be used as a Trip Meter B, just like a real touring bike.

Yes on the lights because in other countries they have a light switch with Off, Park, Headlights on the right handle bar. Same with my MyRoad 700i and Aprilia Atlantic 500 where the opening is just covered here.

If it's like my MyRoad 700i there is a resettable maintenance odometer.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:35:29 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

ronigj

• View Profile
    • Super 8 Philippines Motorcycle, Club Inc.
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 12:32:15 AM »
Yes on the lights because in other countries they have a light switch with Off, Park, Headlights on the right handle bar. Same with my MyRoad 700i and Aprilia Atlantic 500 where the opening is just covered here.

If it's like my MyRoad 700i there is a resettable maintenance odometer.
What model year of your MyRoad 700 thus KYMCO still manufacture MyRoad 700? can i see pict. Thanks!

Sent from my Skyfire2

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2017, 04:33:51 AM »
What model year of your MyRoad 700 thus KYMCO still manufacture MyRoad 700? can i see pict. Thanks!

2014 and as far as I know Kymco stopped making them with 2015 being the last year.

'14 White MyRoad 700i

ronigj

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2017, 06:27:33 AM »
2014 and as far as I know Kymco stopped making them with 2015 being the last year.

Wow how the spare parts do have hard time sourcing out, or encounter problem with your MyRoad 700i, now they released the AK 550i.

But do you have K-Pipe 125cc?

Sent from my Skyfire2

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »
Wow how the spare parts do have hard time sourcing out, or encounter problem with your MyRoad 700i, now they released the AK 550i.

But do you have K-Pipe 125cc?

So far I have under 5,000 miles on the bike (just bought it last year) so I've only needed oil and oil filters. Had to have a shock and some seals replaced in the CVT under warranty. I think the parts take about a week to get but time will tell on parts availability.

I'm not a K-pipe owner but i look over other stuff on here, I'm pretty much a maxi scoot guy.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

ronigj

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2017, 03:48:24 PM »
So far I have under 5,000 miles on the bike (just bought it last year) so I've only needed oil and oil filters. Had to have a shock and some seals replaced in the CVT under warranty. I think the parts take about a week to get but time will tell on parts availability.

I'm not a K-pipe owner but i look over other stuff on here, I'm pretty much a maxi scoot guy.
Dreaming to own one like XCting 400i, AK 550i but i am Happy with my scoot Super 8 125cc

I also like KYMCO K-Pipe because of it uniqueness[emoji6][emoji111] 

Everything will be all right

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »
Dreaming to own one like XCting 400i, AK 550i but i am Happy with my scoot Super 8 125cc

I also like KYMCO K-Pipe because of it uniqueness[emoji6][emoji111] 

Nice color scoot. The K-pipe is like a proper sized Grom.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

ronigj

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2017, 04:27:02 PM »
Nice color scoot. The K-pipe is like a proper sized Grom.
Thanks it is almost 8 years my Super 8 125cc .  I like a Green K-pipe.

woodsrat

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
I took the day off and did a 150 mile loop on the K-Pipe down to beautiful Brown County, IN where the roads are hilly and twisty.

The good?  87 miles per gallon even with the  Mikuni carb.  The best I ever got with this carb on the Lifan motors was 80.  Happiness.

The bad?  For one, the seat sucks.  The forward downhill slope has me sitting on my balls and I'm constantly standing up and rearranging everything.  While this seat might fit someone with a shorter inseam (mine's 32") even then the slope will have them constantly pushing backwards against the bars.  I think if I level the the seat about an inch or so this will fix the problem at the price of increasing the seat height.  I'm going to go find a stadium seat pad, cut it to fit and try that as a temporary measure.

I shouldn't call this a bad thing but the motor doesn't have the grunt of my Lifan motors.  Coming out of corners where I could just grab a handful and torque my way out this motor requires me to downshift.  Gearing between my Lifan/Passport and the K-Pipe are about the same if tire sizes are computed into the equation and right now I have the same intake manifold/carb/air cleaner on both so that leaves the fact that the K-Pipe is a full point down on compression as part of the problem.  Without measuring and comparing them I don't know for sure but I suspect there might be a difference in the cam as well.

Could the giant muffler be restricting it?  Maybe.  On the Lifan/Passport I'm running a CRF-70 pipe sans spark arrestor screen and it's got a bark to it that the K-Pipe doesn't have.  I'm hoping that the volume of the K-Pipe muffler makes up for the fact it's not as straight-through as the Honda muffler.  It's wonderfully quiet and doesn't offend anyone.

I may put the pit bike muffler back on, haul it down there and do a bit of testing to see if there's any difference.  The muffler might be more restrictive than I think.  I hate to have that loud thing on there and I don't think I could stand to ride it down there and back so trucking it is the only alternative.  More on this after I give it a try.

*Edit--I went ahead and did another test with the pit bike muffler.  I can see virtually no difference in performance.  It is very light compared to the stock muffler that weighs almost as much as Oprah.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:34:53 AM by woodsrat »

bladeian

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2017, 04:06:52 AM »
Same with me, however I want to mod everything; but I don't want to order parts that I'm unsure will fit/work. One of the things i'm curious of is trying to big bore the engine, that'd be interesting to see but I don't want to guinea pig my bike out.

The main things I will probably do are - Tires, Exhaust, Air Filter, Cafe Race handlebars, new clutch/brake lever, undercowl/undercover for lower engine. Sounds like a lot, but the only thing that would be pricey would be the exhaust and tires. Since there's so little of this specific bike mods i'm hesitant to do much performance mods.

There's so much potential to this bike, I'd love to see what crazy things people come up with in the near future.

OK so first time posting on a forum kinda cool. I have contacted the guys at t-bolt usa to see what they have available iof anything that fits the motor. From what I have read they have a very close motor to the lifan 123.7 has the same square 54mm bore.

On another note my wife and i are looking to buy a set of these in the next month and a half. We are really excited.
;D

lilzip24

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2017, 12:04:14 PM »
I also haven't noticed a difference in performance between the stock can and my Delkavic. The only issue I'm having is a lot of decel popping, but I haven't actually messed with the stock carb yet
2016 Kymco K-Pipe 125
2014 Suzuki DL1000A VStrom
2007 Suzuki VL800C C50

woodsrat

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »
Shop manual inaccuracies?

I was looking at the shop manual last night in the top end rebuild section and was surprised/intrigued to learn that it says the cylinder diameter is 52.4mm, not the 54mm listed in the specifications--including the specs in the front of the manual.  If this is correct the bore and stroke would be 52.4mm x 57mm, not the preferred "square" 54mm x 54mm.

When I got home I measured the cylinder length on my semi-auto Lifan motor and the one on the K-Pipe.  Both measured 78mm and both are marked "124cc".  A 52.4 x 57 motor would be 123cc.

While this sounds like I'm being anal there's a lot of differences between these two motors, the biggest being that the piston pin on the long stroke motor is 13mm whereas the square motors uses a 14mm pin.

If the K-Pipe is indeed a 54 x 54 motor--and based upon the cylinder length and displacement marked on the cylinder casting I suspect it is--it means I can put the piston out of a semi-auto Lifan into the K-Pipe motor which should up it's compression.  If the head is basically identical all that would remain is to swap the cam as well.

It's amazing how two motors with what are supposedly identical displacement can run so differently.  Can a point of compression do this much to change how it runs?  Or is the cam different as well?  As soon as I can confirm that the K-Pipe is indeed a 54 x 54 motor we're going to find out.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()