Author Topic: New 2013 Super 8 Woes  (Read 5293 times)

PeTroL42

• View Profile
New 2013 Super 8 Woes
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:22:31 AM »
Hi all, I'm new around here but wanted to share my experience so far with my 2013 Super 8, which hasn't been that positive.

I picked up my Super 8 from a guy who bought it on impulse but his wife made him sell it as soon as she found out.  I got it with 63 miles and I was able to transfer the warranty.

I had a cheap chinese scooter that sadly went up in flames but instead of buying another cheap china scoot, I decided to spend a little extra to get the Kymco quality but I'm still running into issues.

The main problem is the carb.  When the engine is cold, it bogs down at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle and then at that point, even with full throttle, I can't get the scooter to move.  I have to put the scoot on it's center stand and blip the throttle until the engine gets hot enough to where it doesn't bog anymore.   I think all I needed to do was adjust the Air/Fuel mixture screw but this Kymco carb doesn't have one.  I then decided that I wanted to open up the carb to clean it out but all but one screw stripped out at the head. 

I was so over this situation so I replaced the Kymco carb with a GY6 carb I had laying around.  The swap went well except the Kymco carb has a nipple that comes out of the bottom which is connected to a canister by the gas tank with a rubber hose which is tee'd off and connected to all kinds of other stuff.  My old GY6 carb doesn't have this nipple.  I just plugged that hose up but I think it needs to be open as I'll explain later. 

After the swap, the scooter wouldn't start at first and it seemed like fuel wasn't getting to the carb.  I eventually got it to start by taking the gas cap off and cranking it and the scooter started almost instantly.   

The carb swap fixed the bogging issue totally and I took a 15 mile trip today and the scooter worked fine.  It wasn't until I filled up the gas tank that I ran into problems again.  On my way home from the gas station, my scooter stalled out.  I got it started by taking the gas cap off and cranking it but the scooter stalled out again a short time after.  I thought about that hose that I plugged up and I unplugged it and rode the scooter around for a while and it didn't stall this time.

I wasn't happy about my scooter stalling out with my old GY6 carb which even with the bogging issue, the Kymco carb didn't stall out so I spent some time with a dremel tool and managed to cut some slots into the stripped screws and then use a flat head screwdriver to get the screws out.  I took out both jets and the main jet was fine but it looked like the pilot jet was a little clogged up so I ran a thin needle through it.  But after thinking about it and realizing that the carb doesn't have an Air/Fuel mixture screw, I decided to throw in a bigger pilot jet that I had.  It comes with a #35 pilot jet but I don't know what size the one I put in is since it isn't stamped.  Although, I do think it is a #38.  Btw, the main jet is a #102 if anyone's curious.

I reassembled the carb and got it back into my scooter and took her for a test spin.  I think the pilot jet change might have fixed my bogging issue but it's hard to tell since the scooter wasn't completely cold when I took her for a test spin.  I'll know for sure tomorrow.

My other problem is my front brake disc is warped.  A new one is on order but it's been more than a week and my Kymco dealer still hasn't received it from Kymco yet.  I really want to get this replaced because I think I feel the front brake "grabbing" at my wheel as I ride.  I could really feel the "grabbing" when I'm coasting at a steady speed and I know something is up because I'm only getting 60 MPG even though I'm not ragging on the throttle.  I know I should be getting at least 75 MPG if not more.

I hope I get these problems worked out because I bought a Kymco to ride, not run into one problem after another.  I've had a few other issues but they don't affect how the scooter rides.  I wonder if I would have the same issues if these were built in Taiwan and not mainland China.

DoubleSC

• View Profile
Re: New 2013 Super 8 Woes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:14:48 AM »
I had similar issues on the carb - left it as stock and only adjusted the idle screw and it ran *much* better.

If you still are thinking of working with the stock carb, you can access the idle screw from the top if you very carefully remove the small brass indented plug located here:

Mine came out easily (no drilling required - just pressed slightly on one side of the plug, the other side popped up then i used some needle-nose pliers to pull it out.

DSC

PeTroL42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
Thanks for the tip! 

I might have saved myself a lot of time had I known that the Kymco carb had that Air/Fuel screw.  I just didn't know it was located there since it's in a totally different spot on my GY6 carb.

I'll have to try to get to that screw if the bigger Pilot jet that I installed doesn't fix the bogging issue.

Btw, I don't think my bogging issue has something to do with the idle screw.  I'm pretty positive it's an Air/Fuel mixture thing.

Now only if that brake disc would come in already.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
I have a 2013 Kymco Super 8 myself & I was having similar problem. I took it to my dealer & one of the jets was clogged a tad. He says they come from the factory very lean to keep the EPA rating. He richened-up the carb. a little & now it's perfect. The problem I was having was speeds from 0-15MPH. It felt like it was starving for fuel, then when I got to 20MPH it was fine. Remember to use ethanol fuel treatment in every tank & use SeaFoam every other. I keep my Super 8 down in Florida @ my parents home that I visit like 3-4 times a year. I was sitting for almost 5 months & she turned-over on the 2nd try. Just keep your Super 8 in stock form, don't try & tweak it (as many Chinese scooter people do)

On a side note, my dealer down there told me about the Super 8 & the front disc having issues sometimes. Too bad you didn't buy it from a dealer, as this all would have been under warranty for 2-years. I myself never had a problem with the front disc.

BTW: Here was my original link when I 1st received my Super 8:

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=8052.0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:37:34 PM by MassScoot »
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()