Author Topic: [what do you prefer]two stroke vs four stroke  (Read 9583 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: [what do you prefer]two stroke vs four stroke
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »
it seems that all you bike / scooter boys do have a thing for 2 stroke

Hahaha! Wait 'til i tell blue...I'm not a scooter mom anymore, I'm a scooter boy. ???

:D

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »
HD is Harley Davidson?

I do not think that 2 stroke engines were in the same market niche as HDs.

Japanese motorcycles killed off HD in 60s/70s, not small 2 stroke engines.

Yes, Harley Davidson.  :D  Of the big 4 Japanese manufacturers, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki were making large 2 stroke street bikes in increasing numbers in early 70's and they were selling well.  Those, plus Hondas, were the final threat which would have killed Harley.

In general, yes, 2 strokes do not last as long as 4 strokes.  But that is true mostly for smaller engines or cheaply manufactured ones.  Even so, Harley Davidson's were so antiquated and of such poor quality by the 70's you could expect them to turn into junk at same rate as any Japanese bike, 2 or 4 stroke.   Not to mention their performance and handling was dismal in comparison.

We really don't know how the comparison between large multi cylinder 2 versus 4 stroke would be like today --if 2 stroke had been continually improved by market forces over the last 30 years as 4 stroke has. 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »
Yes, Harley Davidson.  :D  Of the big 4 Japanese manufacturers, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki were making large 2 stroke street bikes in increasing numbers in early 70's and they were selling well.  Those, plus Hondas, were the final threat which would have killed Harley.

In general, yes, 2 strokes do not last as long as 4 strokes.  But that is true mostly for smaller engines or cheaply manufactured ones.  Even so, Harley Davidson's were so antiquated and of such poor quality by the 70's you could expect them to turn into junk at same rate as any Japanese bike, 2 or 4 stroke.   Not to mention their performance and handling was dismal in comparison.

We really don't know how the comparison between large multi cylinder 2 versus 4 stroke would be like today --if 2 stroke had been continually improved by market forces over the last 30 years as 4 stroke has. 

6-7 years ago many car manufacturers claimed that the future is in high tech 2 stroke engines.
However, nobody has followed up on those claims and instead they have developed efficient and powerful small displacement turbo gasoline engines (1400 cc, 170 hp - VW, Alfa Romeo...)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 02:40:11 AM »
 ;D See, politics in action!  ;D

K125BW

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 06:17:59 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to both Kymco as well as this forum. I've recently purchased a 2001 B&W125cc. I was wondering, what should I look at, mechanically, to make sure everythings working as it should be. Dont get me wrong, she goes, very well, but as it is 2nd hand, I'm just wondering what I should look at/have checked out for some "peace-of-mind"?

Please let me know?
Thanks

grantourismo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 11:07:09 AM »

In general, yes, 2 strokes do not last as long as 4 strokes. 

my daddy's 18 year old 2 stroke still goes ...

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
Hi, K125BW, I realize there isn't an actual BW125 section, but you may post your question under the Bet & Win 150 section stating that yours is a 125 if you like. "Peace-of-mind" is a good thing.  :)

Congratulations on your new scoot!

And welcome to the forum!!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »
Ships and trains also use 2 stroke engines.

Do you happen to know what airplanes use, axy? :)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Bigger airplanes use a gas engine (no "strokes", only rotating parts and constant flame).
Smaller planes usually 4 stroke, very small planes (ultra light or uncrewed) often 2 stroke.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »
Thank you, ts1. I was wondering about that.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 03:24:22 AM »
Weed eaters, motorized hedge trimmers = 2 stroke.  Model airplanes too.  Those have something called a "glow plug" instead of spark plug.  It's on all the time -- no need for timing at all.  ;D  Small ones will fit easily in your pocket.  Fuel tank the size of an aspirin bottle.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 03:39:47 AM »
Hoolander...who gonna ride something that small? Speedy Gonzalez?? :D

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 03:53:53 AM »
Har har!  ;D  Oh yea and chain saws of course!  And those little engines you can bolt to your bicycle. 

Kid stuff aside for a moment though.  If you want to see probably the most awsome two stroke bike ever made, do a search for Kenny Robert's Yamaha OW-31.  There were a few versions, one for road race, one for flat track.  I had the pleasure of witnessing Mr. Roberts win the Daytona 200 on this bike.  Left all other riders looking like snails.  Four cylinder, water cooled, I don't remember the displacement -- perhaps around 1000 or 1200cc.  Edit: ok I'm reading it's a 750.

Rules changes left it out of the running after a couple years.  I believe it would still beat anything on the racetrack today. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:17:25 AM by Hoolander2 »

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 04:06:46 AM »
Wow...that must have been something to see. They have a pic of it on Google Images. That's really cool! 8)

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 04:27:02 AM »
Whoa! Where'd you find that second one? Check out that bike! If his feet were behind him instead of under him he would laying down. That's just awesome. I love the way that windshield curves like that. And I think he's got that front tire off the ground too. That's only a 750? I bet you had a great time at the track that day!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()