Author Topic: For Safety - where do you carry cell phone?  (Read 3031 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: For Safety - where do you carry cell phone?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »
I carry my mobile phone usually in the glovebox, but underseat is another option I use. Many years ago I started this practice of not carrying my phone in my person when a friend who was an EMT at the time said he had seen too many injuries caused by riders carrying cell phones on their person. He described one accident whereby the battery was punctured and the rider was burned when the battery caught fire. More times then not it's the debris created from the phones impact that inflicts the injuries vs. harm by burning batteries.

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 02:08:16 AM »
Thank you for your response....respectfully - I tend to listen more to the riding advice of those riders who have not "crashed many times".
But I am no expert on riding or crashes.
Stig
LOL...good point, I meant to convey his view if something happens the glass from the phone, keys or pen may cause additional harm to the body

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 02:20:22 AM »
I carry my mobile phone usually in the glovebox, but underseat is another option I use. Many years ago I started this practice of not carrying my phone in my person when a friend who was an EMT at the time said he had seen too many injuries caused by riders carrying cell phones on their person. He described one accident whereby the battery was punctured and the rider was burned when the battery caught fire. More times then not it's the debris created from the phones impact that inflicts the injuries vs. harm by burning batteries.
I was just thinking, if I had carried the phone under the seat, I may not have been able to open the seat due to the position of the scooter. I doubt if I would have been able to turn the key to the seat release position and pull the seat up while it was on its side. I guess there are good and bad points for each place. Hopefully none of you will have to find out if your phone was in an optimum place to be used in an emergency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 02:53:50 AM »
I usually carry my phone in my left pocket of my jacket and my wallet is in the left front pocket of my pants.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 04:05:08 AM »
I carry my smart phone in my right pants pocket. However, I try to put it in my trunk. The reason for is due to the science that has come out
about the link between smart phones and low sperm counts. You want the phone as far as way as possible form your privates.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

gn2

• View Profile

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »
So if you must have an accident, make sure it happens in an area with a good cell phone signal. Lol.
   For sure.im a little old fashion and like going places were you have no cell service.Some of my friends go off the grid for months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »
I carry my track phone in the right chest pocket of my riding jacket. I understand the potential for injuries when riding, but if I’m in a crash I may not be able to get back to my scooter to retrieve my phone wherever it may be. Since it’s a track phone it’s pretty small, I make sure the glass/screen side is facing out, and not in towards me.

- Wolf

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 04:37:41 PM »
I normally wear kevlar reinforced cargo pants when riding. I put my phone in the right lower front pocket and my reading glasses in the left one. Now with all this talk about broken glass and burning batteries, i will have to rethink this. As Stig said, you can not access the glove box or pet carrier on the Like without a key. If the phone is broken in the crasb and injures you, the phone is no good and the debate is over. If you cannot access the phone in the bike, same problem. Ahhh. Carry 2 phones i guess.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:39:44 PM by LidoCA »
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 07:48:34 PM »
You could travel with one of these and not bother yourself as to where to carry your mobile phone.  ;)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 05:39:30 AM »
for my safety, I see no need

RandyO
IBA#9560

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 11:00:55 PM »
I think I'll just get one of those Life Alert button things. "Help, I have fallen on my scooter and I can't get up!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:02:35 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
I always put my smartphone under the seat. However, I ALWAYS have a cheap phone in my jacket pocket in a ziplock bag along with my drivers licence, Insurance details and A slip of paper with next of kin or ICE (in case of emergency) contact details. I also have a green dot on the chin of my helmet which tells any emergency service personnel that there is a card inside the lining of my helmet with ICE details and any details of allergies/medical issues written on it should I be unable to speak for whatever reason.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 03:01:17 AM »
I think I'll just get one of those Life Alert button things. "Help, I have fallen on my scooter and I can't get up!

sounds like a good plan to me. 😅😅
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »

sounds like a good plan to me. 😅😅
Stop that!
Good morning Mr Forbes.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()