Author Topic: leaking oil  (Read 1079 times)

saltybobthepirate

• View Profile
leaking oil
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
Forgive me if this should be posted elsewhere.  My people s is an '09.  I know very little about engine repair or anything else mechanical.  I was told I needed a new stator so a friend (who is a mechanic) and I replaced it.  Then it still wouldn't start (battery was fine) and was told to get a new solenoid.  Replaced that and it still wouldn't run.  Turns out there was a faulty wire connecting the battery. 

I just took it for a ride this morning (first time in about 5 months) and now there is oil all over the ground under my scoot.  It looks like its coming out from the stator cover.  I thought the stator had to do with charging the bike.  Should there be oil inside?

Thanks in advance!

big blue

• View Profile
Re: leaking oil
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:39 PM »
Hello salty, The oil filler/dipstick is just behind the stator. Is the cap missing or not screwed in tightly? If it is not oil will spew out  quite quickly.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:52:56 AM »
..gods, I hope the oil dipstick is missing or loose...

..if not, you might have disturbed the shaft seal behind the stator.......

:-X
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:55:00 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
My S 200 had what could be a similar oil leak.  The culprit was the cylinder gasket - the one between the cylinder and the crankcase.  It slid or was pinched out of position.  Not too bad of a repair, but it takes time.  I used a gasket shellac on the new gasket to help prevent a recurrence. 
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()