Author Topic: What about a Flat Tire?  (Read 6125 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: What about a Flat Tire?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 04:08:40 AM »
It depends on your tire size. In 12" there are NO run flat tires. Try Bike Bandit for tire advice. They match prices, and free shipping over 99 bucks. There are two Pirelli tires beside the Diablo that have almost NO sidewall. I forget the models but they were developed to avoid catastrophic blow out. You will see them on bike band.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 04:25:38 AM »
Thanks!
Yeah, I've got the XC500 with the 14" rear and 15" front. Tires are made by Kenda and actually, I like them. Just worried about the 170º surface temps in the summer.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 04:42:05 AM »
I had a Major issue with Kendas. They are NOT fuel proof. My petcock leaked onto my rear tire during the night, and the tire swelled like a balloon made of sponge. The first turn I took the entire casing shifted, and almost dumped me off the high side. I forget what model they were but I won't trust them again. Oh... My rear tire was out of round from day one. It had a bad hop to it over 60mph.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 06:47:18 AM »
I had a Major issue with Kendas. They are NOT fuel proof. My petcock leaked onto my rear tire during the night, and the tire swelled like a balloon made of sponge. The first turn I took the entire casing shifted, and almost dumped me off the high side. I forget what model they were but I won't trust them again. Oh... My rear tire was out of round from day one. It had a bad hop to it over 60mph.

so....they're kenda oblong...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »
I think Kenda's handle fine and such, but they just don't last long. My rear tire was completely bald at 7,000M. I use Michelin now, much longer lasting, and don't cost much more. :-*

vex

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
I carry a Stop-n-Go Tire Plugger kit and a Slime air compressor. I've used it on my own (moto) tires a couple of times, and have used it another couple of times for riders stranded along the road. It's really saved my bacon. I also carry AAA RV+ in case I need a tow, but haven't had to use it yet with the two wheelers...

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »
Is your compressor a foot pump type? I have a 12 volt take off of course but I don't believe they are correct amperage to run a pump. Otherwise have to flag down a car to use their cigarette lighter plug...if it has one!

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
Keep a short phillips screw driver under the seat to pop off the plastic battery cover, then you can clamp the pump straight to the battey. Or you can hook leads to the battery and let it hang down above the rear wheel. :-*

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
Fix a Flat will sometimes get your tires seriously out of balance.
Ride On is supposed to be one of the best. Have not used personally.

Below is the best set up for scooters and motorcycles, IMHO.

Go to auto or discount store and buy rope plugs with install handles.   Cheap.

Go to bicycle shop and buy Co 2 inflator and 2 40gram co 2 cartridges.
Very reasonable considering compactness and performance.

This all you need, is compact and by gosh it works good.

Here is a good one in picture below. Grip handle can be removed to install and use larger 40 gram cartridges. Smaller cartridges fit inside grip handle.
Inflator screws on to valve stem so you won`t waste air when filling tire.

I have been riding motorcycles for many years and this is the best tire repair kit I have ever used.
I have a kit on my motorcycle and my wife has one on her motor scooter.

In my kit I also have small needle nose to pull nails, screws, staples, etc., a very small squirt bottle with soapy water in it, and a small piece of white chalk.

It will surprise you how well these co 2 cartridges inflate.

Give one a try.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:45:54 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
+1  ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »
I've used TBF for 20+ years. (tire balance fluid). 2 weeks ago I got two 8oz bottles of Ride on. I used 1/2 a bottle in the front tire of my GY6 scoot. The first 1/4 mile it hopped a bit, then settled in. I used to have a shake at 50mph that is now gone. The tire makes less noise, and is cool to the touch after many miles of riding. You can feel the temp difference in the front/back.
I ran it for a week, and dismounted the tire to find the Ride On is completely vulcanized to the inside of the tread area. You can peel it off but it does stay where it is supposed to. They have one caution... In cold months the sealer can settle back to the bottom of the tire, and 1 mile of riding may be required to get it back in place.
So far I like it better than TBF. It's going in the ZX as well. I have some BAD balance issues between 60-70mph. I'll let you all know how that one works out...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 04:08:09 AM »
On two occasions now I've found that a foot pump and also a 12v pump didn't have enough air flow to seat the tire bead.  Once when I changed my rear tire myself and another time just a couple months ago when I had to plug it.  My neighbor has a nice compressor with which he inflated my tire after we put two plugs in the same nail hole.  I noticed he sort of got the beads up on the lip of the rim before inflating but still you wouldn't hardly be able to do that with the wheel still on the bike. 

The 75cent air pump at the corner gas station worked fine for seating the beads without any trying or trouble though.  I guess it has more flow than my little cheapy one.

So I think the CO2 cartriges would be just the ticket for side of the road emergency inflation.

Still riding fine and smooth on the plugs.  Will be needing another new tire soon anyway.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 05:41:39 AM »
Taking out the valve core helps air flow alot. In some cases you can set the beads just by taking the core out first.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 09:33:13 AM »
As Zombie said! I keep telling everyone, use ride on and forget all your worries. No more tire plugs, no more co 2, no more pumps. And chandler! Two tire plugs in the same hole while riding in 113 degree heat? When every A hole in phoenix drives 80 plus MPH everywhere they go! Please my friend. Get a new tire. I would like to continue reading your post in the future.  ;) :-*

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 05:33:17 AM »
My tires are still new, Sissy. No plugs whatsoever on my bike ;) I may be a fast rider, but not crazy!
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()