Author Topic: ..carburetor 101..school is in..  (Read 4673 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..carburetor 101..school is in..
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »
..OK, I've seen what opening the main jet will do for take-off and overall power...

..what does the "Slow Jet" have an effect on?

..anybody know?   ???

peace

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Mike

• View Profile
Re: ..carburetor 101..school is in..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:00:29 PM »
Pilot jet or slow jet, it affects your bottom end, your low end acceleration and your idle.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »
Pilot jet or slow jet, it affects your bottom end, your low end acceleration and your idle.

..hey mike..welcome to the forum...

..and thanx for that info...

..do you happen to know what the inside diameter of a #85 main jet should be?

peace

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:45:23 AM »
Hey, thanks...i'd need to know what type of carb, i could  try to find out for you.

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:22:16 AM »
I talked to the guy at my local scooter shop which isn't that great of a shop and he said he could not figure out what it stands for and that some brands numbers represent different things than other. Anyhow if you find out what the numbers represent for what we deal with I would love to know also.

Ken
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »
Hey, thanks...i'd need to know what type of carb, i could  try to find out for you.

..OK..It's the stock carb on the Agility 50...

..Stamped K80 on the jet..

..I'll research further and give you some more specifics...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »
I talked to the guy at my local scooter shop which isn't that great of a shop and he said he could not figure out what it stands for and that some brands numbers represent different things than other. Anyhow if you find out what the numbers represent for what we deal with I would love to know also.

Ken

..Yeah, Ken..Imma find out...I can't find a local shop that can get me much of anything...

..I called "ScooterNerds" in a city about 20 miles from my home yesterday, looking for an air filter..

..They said, "Sure!! We have one in stock!"

..went up there to pick it up..."Oh, we don't have any of those"..

..wtf..

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »
Hey, the id is .85 mm or .033"  i have these in stock. just out of curiosity, why would you need the id?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »
Hey, the id is .85 mm or .033"  i have these in stock. just out of curiosity, why would you need the id?

..thanks Mike..

..I cant find anybody local to get me an 85 jet...

..so Imma drill out my stock 80 jet to the 85 spec...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 12:16:35 AM »
I live in Wilmington and I have spoken with the owner of Scooter Nerds several times on the phone.  He doesn't seem to know a whole lot!  He did refer me to another guy who worked as his mechanic for awhile.  Turned out i had already met him before.  Anyway, he is great!  That's about the only useful info I have gotten out of that place!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »
..Yeah, Ken..Imma find out...I can't find a local shop that can get me much of anything...

..I called "ScooterNerds" in a city about 20 miles from my home yesterday, looking for an air filter..

..They said, "Sure!! We have one in stock!"

..went up there to pick it up..."Oh, we don't have any of those"..

..wtf..

...From scooternerds on my personal email this morning...  "People read what people write."

Sorry if this ruffled any feathers at scooter nerds...(I went to a scooternerds in Greensboro..email came from Wilmington)..just stating the plain and simple truth...

..please don't send me any more smart-assed emails...

peace
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:02:06 PM by wordslinger »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »
This may help you out slinger. When you are tuning the idle (slow) jet, the rmp's should drop,and the engine should give that pop-pop-poping sound as the engine is braking. If your jet is too lean the rpm's will stay high with the throttle closed, and you will feel NO braking effect. If the jet is too rich it will sound as if you hit the kill switch, and will stutter when you reapply the throttle. I found a neat trick for opening the jets from a top outboard mechanic. Welders torch tip cleaners. They are accuatly wire files in very exact diameters. You start w/ the one that fits your jet, give it a few swipes to allow the next size up to fit. A good set of these is about $30.00 and w/ them you have every size jet you will ever need. Last week I was opening mine and went too far w/ the idle so I found a sewing needle that was smaller than the jet size, put it in the jet and melted solder into the jet. I pulled out the needle, and started again w/ the files until I got the size I needed. I own 3 scoots right now, and I am ALWAYS fooling with someone else's, so buying boxes of jets for all sorts of bikes don't make sense for me.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »
..yeah zombie, I got me a set of those also...I've never tried the soldering before...that's a good idea, as long as the solder doesn't turn loose over time...I'm finding that as the weather is getting colder, my rpms a WOT seem to be a bit high, while top speed is a bit low..I believe I'm running a little bit toward the lean side...Would you agree?

..then again, my rollers are worn some too, and I guess they're not quite 5.5 grams any more....

..Oh the insanity.....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()