Author Topic: Set up my Grand Vista with touring seat and new tires.  (Read 6653 times)

melodys39

• View Profile
Re: Set up my Grand Vista with touring seat and new tires.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »
Hi

I bought a 2005 Grand Vista in August 2010.  It only had 1588 miles on it!  Since then I have put on the touring seat and some Michelin Pilot Sport SC tires.

The touring seat works great.  My GV came with the standard seat minus the front back rest and recovered in leather.  I thought I liked that because I could sit back further but I found I need the lower back support on longer rides.  The touring seat works great because it is slightly taller and my knees don't seem to be bent as much while riding.  Also, the scooter handles much better when I sit further forward.  I think the seats are designed to keep the rider forward because of this.  The trade-off is that I can only stand flat footed if I tilt my hips forward on the seat.  I have a 30 inch inseam.  This isn't really a problem, though.

I had some issues with the stock tires, mostly in colder weather.  I live in Michigan.  The tires slipped a few times when I didn't think they should have and I never felt comfortable leaning into corners.  I just had the Michelin tires installed so I have only ridden a few times but they handle much better.  It feels like the scooter leans more naturally when I turn at slow speeds.  Also, these tires grip the road well on the highway.  I used to get some side-slip with the original tires when hit by strong, gusty winds.  The new tires track well and I feel like I can take the wind from the side better.

Have fun and ride safe.
Buck40

I just purchased the same Michelin tires, but haven't had them mounted yet. I figure I have about 1000 miles left on the rear tire, and don't know whether to replace both at the same time, or just replace the rear, and then the front when needed.

Any opinions? Thanks
'09 White Grandvista 250 "Dinky"

perkussion

• Genuine Buddy - SYM RV250 - 09 Grand Vista sold!
    • View Profile
Re: Set up my Grand Vista with touring seat and new tires.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
Hi Folks,
  Hi everyone,
I was lucky enough to see a Craigslist ad for a 2009 Grandvista for an excellent price.
It had been stolen and because the dumbass crooks didn't have a key they destroyed several things:
The latch that was attached to the underside of the seat is gone -broken clean off.
The gas filler cap has a big gouge in it when they tried to pry it open -they also broke off the ring that goes around it.
They also dropped it because the left side mirror is broken and the crankcase cover has several cracks and small pieces missing.
The center hook is also missing for some reason. Various scrape marks throughout -some pretty deep.

Going over it carefully I noticed that the crooks must've had it partially taken apart and then tried to put it back together.
There are several non-matching screws and several places where there were no screws at all.

Above is a post from last Winter placed in the 'for sale' section

I have fixed several things on this scoot, replaced panels, put 14 bolts back in various places (!!!) and it looks/rides pretty good now.

However, I still need a seat or the latch that is attached to the underside of the seat that holds & locks it down.
If anyone wants to sell their old GV seat because they have replaced it with the touring seat please let me know.
I would prefer someone close to the pan handle of Florida because shipping on a seat would be really expensive due to it's size.

Regardless, please let me know.

If you know you are never going to use the original seat again, I would even pay a decent amount for just the latch.

Thanks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()