Author Topic: derestriction options  (Read 3619 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: derestriction options
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »
Im not goin to mess with my belt right now ive almost got my agility set up just right for what I want. Harder fly springs in the next few weeks and I think im there  :)

Anyway my belt still looks good, may upgrade eventually to a kevlar belt with exact same dimesions as the one I have.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 07:54:13 AM »
i tried kevlar once in a chinese scooter... won't be doing that again.. it held up nicely for about 4000km didn't lose performance at all then one day it went pop on my way to work i had to take my clutch assembly completely apart to get the little pieces of kevlar cotton crap out it looked like black and gray cotton candy in there..
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 08:02:47 AM »
Wont be going with kevlar then :o

Got other things on my mind now anyway, came off this morning taking a bend in the wet. Smashed footplate at the rear footrest, smashed mirror, few scrapes on front, sprained wrist and left some knee-skin on the road. Not happy. Bummer.

Time to hit ebay and look for a new footplate and mirror :'(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »
By now I've heard so many of these stories about kevlar belts. It seems like an nice idea but in practice it obviously doesn't work.

@streido : it always sucks when you hit the physical limits of what your tyres will take. Good you're still here to tell..

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
Thanks mono, my knee now looks like I got 3 kneecaps all swollen up. Think i'll need to ride home with my sore leg out straight, will look just like a Harley rider, lol,  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »
i tried kevlar once in a chinese scooter... won't be doing that again.. it held up nicely for about 4000km didn't lose performance at all then one day it went pop on my way to work i had to take my clutch assembly completely apart to get the little pieces of kevlar cotton crap out it looked like black and gray cotton candy in there..

I've heard this is only a problem on the Chinese scoots?  Even though most use the same gy6 engines as our AG 50's, the build quality and exact tolerances are not up to par on them.  Can anyone confirm?

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »
Even when this would be the case, the fact that the plain rubber belts don't shred immediately in chinese scoots and the kevlar ones often seem to do, means that kevlar belts are simply less reliable.

As far as I know there is no reason to use kevlar belts other than marketing hype.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:04:39 PM by mono »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
Reading this reminded me of a discussion earlier, this may be of interest, wordslinger also links to another thread on the subject.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=991.0
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »
what if you cut the boss down and then go with a thiner belt. but I would rather have a wider and stronger belt.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
@blue : cutting the boss down and using a thinner belt have the opposite effect, you're sure that's exactly what you meant to do at the same time ?

Most tuning parts for all mopeds and scoot that I owned in my life turned out to be of an inferior quality compared to the original parts.

My current aim is to use as little tuning parts as possible, only change the parts that really make a large difference and ignore all possibilities which don't add much power but involve using non-kymco parts or modifying Kymco parts...

I once fitted a sh**ty Malossi Torquedrive which rattled and leaked grease all over the place and didn't make enough difference to justify the annoyances, I tried cutting the CDI which made the engine run very rough but did not add the kick I was hoping for, and I have tried lots of small modifications to things like intake manifold and exhaust without noticable effect...

Tinkering and playing around can be fun but I will stick with the things that are proven to make a real difference (at least I guess  I will...  ;D ) My Agility now only has a 72cc big bore kit, a NCY T2 camshaft and a NCY Overdrive 2 variator and I'm quite happy with it.

hungryrussian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »
how did that camshaft work out for you? i've been considering getting one but i hadn't talked to anyone who had one.. install is no problem i'm quite handy and i've been into this motor quite a few times just wondering about results
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »
The NCY T2 camshaft adds some power to a big bore kit at medium and higher rpms, the difference is not as spectacular as changing the cylinder from 50cc to 72cc, but it's certainly noticable. (it is said to have little effect when used with a 50cc cylinder, but I didn't try that myself.)

I won't go back to the original one, even though the engine became a little less powerful at lower rpms and variator adjustment is somewhat more critical because of that, the gain at mid and high rpms makes it worthwile for me.

The T2's timing and lift are not as extreme as with some high-rpm racing camshafts though, it's still fairly mild tempered, smooth running and useful for normal driving compared to those. (I wouldn't choose a true racing camshaft for road use, people that need those would be better off buying a two-stroke bike IMHO anyway...)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:29:41 PM by mono »

hungryrussian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
the gain at mid and high rpms makes it worthwile for me.

well that is exactly where i need that gain in power i have my cvt set up with a fairly light weight so i rev fairly high from stop all the way to full speed it stays very even around what sounds sorta like 4000 rpm till i hit 45mph then it starts to rev higher

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()