Author Topic: Downtown Lean Angles?  (Read 4121 times)

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
Downtown Lean Angles?
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:35:20 AM »
To anyone that has ridden or owns a Downtown, how are the lean angles to you?

I currently own a Yager and it has a nasty habit of scraping the center stand on right-hand turns. I am a new rider (got the Yager in Sept.) and it is a nerve-wracking feeling when I hear that scrape.

I am looking at upgrading to the Downtown but every video I have watched of one either shows someone scraping like crazy or they have scars on the variator cover or center stand. Are these people driving really hard or is this just par for the course on the DT300?

I'm really conflicted over whether to go for the Downtown or something like a Ninja 500 with saddlebags for storage. Also, I am thinking as a third option to wait and see if the People GT 300i makes it ashore. I know it has a better ground clearance with the bigger wheels. I'm not a racer by any means but I want to be able to lean the bike in a turn without worrying about levering the rear wheel off the ground.

Thanks for the help

Whisper

• View Profile
Re: Downtown Lean Angles?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »
I own a Downtown, and have been trying as hard as I can to get it to scrape, but no luck so far.  The rear brake on the handlebar makes it too easy to trailbrake, if needed, to steam through a corner fast.  Also, laying off the throttle before apex lets you get some natural engine braking (which is smooooooooth) - It is like trail braking for n00bs.  Then twist it open as you hit the apex and roll out.  The suspension just settles in nicely through the turns.  I know I have more lean if I need it though, and I hate seeing those chicken strips (>.O)!

On the left side, the centerstand would DEFINITELY scrape first.  The only way to scrape the variator cover is:

- Remove the centerstand.  At that point, I'd have to assume you'd be scraping the bar ends AND the variator.
- lean WAY too far.  This may result in scraping most of the scoot.  And you.

On the right hand side, you'd hit the muffler cover first.  You could prolly gain many degrees by pulling that or going with an aftermarket pipe.

I have no opinion on the People 300GTi.  But I'd strongly caution you on the Kawi 500.

The Kawi Ninja 250 IS A BLAST!  The edge of its envelope is so accessible.  You can feel like Valentino flogging the lil powerplant while not doing 150+.  Great milage.

The 500 is an awkward beast.  Not as fast as the 600, but they cheap out on the hardware, leaving the chassis, suspension and binders very wanting when the engine helps you bite off more than you could chew.

If you want to step up to a bigger bike The Suzuki GSX650F is CHEAP, FAST, and quite nimble.  Less agressive ergonimics are fairly comfy for a sportbike.  

However, I'm currently selling my GSX650F.

The DT300 is just too comfy, the twist and go is too handy, the insurance is too cheap and the milage is too good.  And the speeding tickets won't get me incarcerated.  ;D

Just my 0.02 USD
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:53:08 PM by Whisper »

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
Sweet, that is great to hear.

My local dealer is getting one delivered this week. They are the best ever, I came in the day they ordered it and they called and changed the order for me from Silver to White since that is the color I want. They are also coming in below MSRP since I am a previous customer with my Yager.

All I have to do is throw it on the centerstand and verify that the ergos work for me and I will have a new, sweet ride.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
I think if you adjusted your riding style to shift you body over on the bike during the corner to allow the bike to be more upright while carving the corners.  I know I have one corner in my neighborhood that the tang of the centerstand of my P250 likes to drag.  It's a standard suburban neighborhood and I am going less than 25 but I used to drag that tang all the time.  I now shift my weight to the right and leave the bike more upright, the tang no longer drags. I am going to guess my P250 has similar lean angles to the newer P300GT.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
Techguy has a great point - There are soooooo many cornering techniques.  And hnestly a scoot lets you shift your weight by a ridiculous amount - both side to side, AND by leaning back or crowding the handlebars.  Combine that with throttle and brake control and your cornering speed is probably going to be limited by skill rather than angle.  Remember - it isn't the lean angle (unless it is for show (>.0 ) ), it is how quick you can get through the turn.

Consensus is the silver is faster by 2:1.  This would even things up though... 

I'm 5'7" and the ergos on the DT300i are about perfect.  The wind hits just the top of my helmet, and I can also scoot my butt up and use the ridiculous upper foot positions for reclining and cruising.  Syl is a tall guy - So is the other gent who owns the white one.  If you're tall ask them about the ergos.  However, there is no replacement for sitting on the thing.

I have to warn you.  In person, it is dead sexy.  You'll have a hard time not liking it.

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
I got a call from the dealer, the crate just arrived a bit ago. He said that either tomorrow or Thursday it would be ready to sit on. They don't allow test rides, but as long as I can get it on the center stand I feel like I will have a good enough idea about the ergos to know whether I would like it.

For reference, I am 6'0" but it is mostly torso, I wear 30 inseam pants. I'm REALLY excited, hopefully everything goes well and Thursday I start the process of bringing a new baby home.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
With that inseam, the ergos may be quite comfy for you!  Tell us what you think after slinging a leg over it!

the thing you won't notice on the centerstand that becomes apparent when driving is the weight distribution.  The weight on the DT300i is slung so low.  It makes it ridiculously stable and maneuverable at low speeds.  Lower than the Burgman 650.  Makes the GSX650F seem so very tippy and top heavy in the parking lot.

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:01:00 AM »
I think if you adjusted your riding style to shift you body over on the bike during the corner to allow the bike to be more upright while carving the corners.  I know I have one corner in my neighborhood that the tang of the centerstand of my P250 likes to drag.  It's a standard suburban neighborhood and I am going less than 25 but I used to drag that tang all the time.  I now shift my weight to the right and leave the bike more upright, the tang no longer drags. I am going to guess my P250 has similar lean angles to the newer P300GT.

Took your advice, riding around today I focused on shifting my weight into the corner. It was weird the first couple of tries but after a bit, I have gotten it down on right-hand turns. I can see now what I was doing wrong. The Yager is light enough that I can lean the bike without adjusting body position so even in hard turns my torso was normally still bolt straight, so I was actually leaning the bike waaaay over. I took a couple of turns that were sketchy before and I felt like I had plenty of clearance. Thanks for the tip.

Also, went down to the dealer today. They have the Downtown in, but they have not had a chance to put it together yet. They have opened the crate up so I was able to look at it, and man is it gorgeous. I liked the front end in pics but it is even better looking in person. The seat looks comfy as hell too, for both driver and passenger. I can definitely see the GIVI back rest in my wife's future. The only SLIGHTLY underwhelming part was the underseat, but I planned on getting a top case one way or the other and there is enough room for a helmet or a little bit of work stuff, between the case, the seat and a bungee net, I should have no trouble hauling what needs to be hauled. They said it should be put together on Saturday, I'm really excited now!

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »
I warned you.  It looks good in pics, but just deadly in person.  It is the exact opposite of the Yamaha T-Max!  That thing looks smexy in pics, but in person, it is pretty hard on the eyes.  Especially when your eyes wander over to the sticker price...

The underseat storage isn't bad, it just isn't great.  I can fit a L size Vega full face under there.  However the storage is oddly segmented.  I have rarely fit anything in the front part.  Currently, it holds my bike cover and my rain gear.  At the end of the day, you're going to want a tail case - Which also provides a posh backrest for your passenger.  My wife looooooooooves the passenger seat, and the nice grab rails.

Syl is rolling with a sweet Givi box on back, and I'm throwing a Shad on mine this weekend.  So you'll have some examples to see what fits your fancy.  Until then, a 5USD bungee net, or a tail bag is wonderfully useful.

The other unsung hero of scooterdom is the grocery bag hook in front.  It looks silly.  It seems silly.  But ZOMGZ can you carry a &^%(&#^%-ton of stuff on that bloody hook!  Never underestimate the hook.

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:12 PM »
I've found that increasing the pre-load on the rear damper/spring helps a lot to reduce parts dragging in corners.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550