Author Topic: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - FEB 2011  (Read 31912 times)

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - MAY 2012
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 02:36:59 AM »
-----
26 May 2012:
My wife and kids have been on vacation overseas for the past couple months, so I've been mostly driving the car to work. So the scooter hasn't gotten much riding time lately. But the wife and kids are coming back in a couple weeks, so it was time to start riding the scooter again.

The first thing I did was add a battery tender. The Deltran Battery Tender Junior, a 12V 750mA smart trickle charger/maintainer.
http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

This comes with a detachable cord, so you can have a permanent connection at the battery, and plug/unplug the charger as needed. I connected the battery tender line to the battery, and cut a small notch out of the battery compartment cover so the wire could go through. I leave the charger plugged into the line connected to the battery, and just throw the charger into the Met-In box. If I'm storing the scooter for long periods, I plug in. Easy, simple. Also handy if I ever find the battery is flat when I'm out and about. Just find a wall plug, and go get something to eat while I wait for the battery to charge. That's never happened, but it's nice to know I've got a way to get the scooter started if it ever does happen.

I'll eventually put in a cigarette lighter plug next to the Met-In Box light, and connect through that, but for now, it works. Been so busy with work and with researching and purchasing rental property that I don't have a lot of time right now.

Things I learned:
1) If you let the scooter sit unused for a month or more, the battery WILL be weak. A battery tender is a must in these circumstances.
-----
27 May 2012:
Changed engine oil, engine oil filter, and gear oil.

The engine oil looked surprisingly clean. It was a darker purple than new, but other than that, it looked good. There were NO metal flakes in the pan.

There was a very small amount of metal flakes in the gear oil, but not a lot.

The engine oil filter looked darkened (probably from the oil color staining it) but otherwise clean. The engine oil strainer was clean.

Engine oil - Royal Purple 15W-40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil
Gear Oil - Lucas 75W-90 Synthetic
Oil Filter - HighFlo HF562

Things I learned:
1) On my last oil change, I discussed my suspicions that the Royal Purple 15W-40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil had some sort of additive that dissolves glue. I might have been incorrect, since the glue on the removed filter this time was intact.

Mileage for engine oil, engine oil filter and gear oil changes: 2634.9 miles

Next maintenance (at 3000 miles):
Inspect brake system
Clean/Replace spark plug
Replace air cleaner
Replace fuel filter
Inspect brake levers
Inspect/Replace brake shoes
Inspect shocks
-----
27 May 2012:
My 19th fuel up (the bike came from the dealer with a full tank, so this is actually the 20th tankful).
I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   2636.1 miles
Miles Ridden:   134.6 miles
Fuel:   2.030 gallons
Price/Gal:   $4.179
Total Cost:   $8.48
Fuel Mileage:   66.31 MPG
-----

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - JUN 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 01:41:10 AM »
-----
22 Jun 2012:
My 20th fuel up (the bike came from the dealer with a full tank, so this is actually the 21st tankful).

Mileage:   2790.7 miles
Miles Ridden:   154.6 miles
Fuel:   2.375 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.699
Total Cost:   $8.79
Fuel Mileage:   65.09 MPG
-----
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:30:52 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - JUL 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 04:44:28 AM »
-----
19 Jul 2012:
My 21st fuel up (the bike came from the dealer with a full tank, so this is actually the 22nd tankful).

Mileage:   2944.1 miles
Miles Ridden:   153.4 miles
Fuel:   2.422 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.579
Total Cost:   $8.67
Fuel Mileage:   63.34 MPG
-----
21 Jul 2012:

Ordered 10 oil filters (HiFlo Filtro HF-562, Part #304961, $3.90 each) from DennisKirk.com.

They had 6 in stock, so they should be shipped immediately. The other 4 will be shipped later.

Ordered 2 air filters (Kymco, Part #1721A-KKC3-900, $18.18 each) from StadiumYamaha.com.
Ordered 1 drive belt (Kymco, Part #23100-LEA6-900, $52.99 each) from StadiumYamaha.com.

This is my first order from Stadium Yamaha, so I'll keep you all apprised as to the quality of their service.

After I receive the drive belt, I'll measure it very carefully, and cross-reference to existing aramid-fiber belts and non-aramid-fiber belts, so we know which one to order.
-----
22 Jul 2012:

Ordered 10 fuel filters (Part #33031, $2.46 each) from FleetFilter.com.

These are Wix 33031 / Napa 3031 filters, with a metal canister body and paper filter element. They have a 12 micron filter rating, a burst pressure of 60psi, and 1/4" hose nipples. In reading a bunch of fuel filter recommendations online, it seems most people recommend just getting the cheap plastic see-through fuel filters. But I've also read where they can crack or burst, causing a fire hazard. So I went with the metal canister body. Since I'll be changing it every year or so, it won't matter if I can see the filter element or not.

This is my first order from FleetFilter.com, so I'll keep you all apprised as to the quality of their service.
-----
26 Jul 2012:
Received the oil filters from DennisKirk.com. Got 6 of them, the other 4 are on back-order.
-----
30 Jul 2012:
Received the fuel filters I ordered from FleetFilter.com.
-----
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:08:37 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - AUG 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »
-----
07 Aug 2012:
Received the two air filters and the drive belt from StadiumYamaha.com. Now to go to Home Depot and buy a caliper and angle gauge to measure the belt exactly.

{Edit: Home Depot had a digital caliper gauge for ~$35.00, and I had a Home Depot gift card, so I got it essentially for free.}

{Edit 2: I found that I could mathematically derive the angle from the measurements, so no angle gauge was needed.}
-----
08 Aug 2012:
Recieved the last 4 oil filters from DennisKirk.com.

I hope to get to the 3000 mile service this weekend, but I don't know if I can. Got a first birthday party to attend for my youngest, so we're visiting family all weekend.
-----
10 Aug 2012:
My 22nd fuel up (the bike came from the dealer with a full tank, so this is actually the 23rd tankful).

Mileage:   3097.9 miles
Miles Ridden:   153.8 miles
Fuel:   2.422 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.899
Total Cost:   $9.44
Fuel Mileage:   63.50 MPG
-----
12 Aug 2012:
I finally got around to performing the 3000 mile service, at 3100.1 miles.

I replaced the air cleaner, checked and cleaned the spark plug, installed a fuel filter in the line running from the gas tank, inspected the brake system, brake levers and brake shoes (still not much more than minimal wear on them), and inspected the shocks.

I went to Kragen Auto Parts and bought a package of MasterPro Fuel Injection Hose Clamps (Part #MP131516F), for installing the fuel filter. This package comes with four each of three sizes of hose clamps: 11-12.7mm, 12.7-14.3mm and 14.3-16mm. Turns out, the smallest one (11-12.7mm) works perfectly for this application.

Upon cutting the fuel line to install the fuel filter, I discovered that the OEM fuel line is 5/16", whereas the fuel filter takes a 1/4" fuel line. Not feeling comfortable with how loose the hose was on the fuel filter, even after clamping it, I went back to Kragen Auto Parts and got a Prestone 1/4" x 18" Fuel Injection Hose (Part #FJ0104), and installed it in place of the OEM fuel line, cutting it to the correct length. I had to stretch the end of the hose a bit to get it to slip onto the fuel injector hose fitting, which I did by ramming the hose onto the end of my Leatherman multi-purpose tool pliers. I then wetted the end of my finger with new synthetic oil and put a thin coat of oil on the fuel injector hose fitting, and the new hose slid right on. After clamping the hose down, it's a tight and leak-free fit on all fittings.

The fuel filter fit perfectly in that little space between the fuel tank and the front of the motor, accessible by removing the seat, the Met-In box, and that plastic snap-in piece that covers the area below the front of the seat. So it's relatively easy to get to when it's time to change it, and it's not in the way of anything else. It fit in that area so well, you'd swear it came that way from the factory.

I inspected the brake system, looking for any loose parts, worn or cracked or abraded hoses, etc. All seems to be in order.

I checked the spark plug, it has a nice dark tan color to it, no pitting on the electrodes or bubbling on the ceramic, almost no buildup at all (there was just a bit on the very end of the metal part where the threads are, which came off with a soft, lint-free cloth), so even though this spark plug is one heat range cooler than the OEM plug, it appears to be working well.

I checked the shock absorbers, ensuring all the mounting bolts were torqued to spec, and there was no leakage of the shocks or other damage.

When I first fired up the scooter after doing all the above, it ran for about 10 seconds, then died... air in the fuel filter getting purged out. I restarted the scooter, and it ran fine. The old air cleaner was somewhat dirty, and it had oil in it from the gearbox, so that was probably restricting air flow a bit, which would explain why the scooter had more power and a couple MPH higher top-end speed in after-maintenance testing.

To mitigate the problem of oil in the gearbox migrating to the air filter, I bought one of those MixMizer syringes at WalMart (Walmart No.: 001042459), and will use that to measure the amount of oil I put in the gearbox.

Next maintenance (at 3200 miles):
Replace engine oil and filter
Clean engine oil filter screen
Replace gear oil
Adjust valve clearance
-----
29 Aug 2012:
My 23rd fuel up (the bike came from the dealer with a full tank, so this is actually the 24rd tankful).

Mileage:   3250.5 miles
Miles Ridden:   152.6 miles
Fuel:   2.454 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.999
Total Cost:   $9.81
Fuel Mileage:   62.18 MPG

I'll get to the 3200 mile maintenance this weekend. My oil light came on this morning on the ride to work, so I'm over 600 miles on this oil change. Remember, the engine has to be cold to adjust the valves, so I'll let it sit overnight Friday, and Saturday morning I'll do the maintenance.

Over at my Fuelly.com profile, you'll notice that my fuel mileage has been going down. I'm not sure why. I bought some fuel injector cleaner, and will put it in the next two tankfuls. Hopefully, that'll help.

I still want to get that diagnostic tool that you plug into the data port on the scooter (in the battery box), and fiddle with the settings to lower the idle speed a couple hundred RPM, and lean the mix just a tiny bit.
-----
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:39:36 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - SEP 2012
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 03:33:29 AM »
-----
02 Sep 2012:
I performed the 3200 mile service today, which consisted of replacing the engine oil, checking the engine oil filter screen, changing the engine oil filter, replacing the gear oil, and adjusting valve clearance.

The engine oil looked dark (but it's already dark purple when new), but showed no metal flakes in it under inspection with a bright light.

The oil filter screen was clean, and the oil filter was dirty but not especially so, considering it'd been in service for 600 miles.

The gear oil looked like new, but it had a small amount of very tiny metal flakes in it. I used the MixMizer giant syringe I'd bought previously to measure the amount of oil I put back into the gearcase. Since I think .18 liters is too little, I put in .25 liters. We'll see if that causes any oil to migrate to the air filter housing.

The valves were dead on, exactly where they should be, so nothing to report there. Looks like the valves have fully seated.

Mileage for engine oil, engine oil filter and gear oil changes: 3276.3 miles

Next scheduled maintenance (at 3500 miles):
Inspect radiator core
Inspect radiator cap

I'm going to use the special camera we've got at work for inspecting boiler tubes to look inside the radiator, and I hope to purchase a radiator cap tester before 3500 miles, if I can find one.
-----
04 Sep 2012:
Renewed the insurance for the scooter. For some reason, Geico reduced our payment from $97.00/yr to $78.80/yr, possibly because I'm a government employee, and GEICO is the Government Employee Insurance Company (or at least, that's what they started out as), and still give good discounts to government employees. Insurance is valid from 01 Oct 2012 to 01 Oct 2013.
-----
21 Sep 2012:
My 24th fuel up (the bike came from the dealer with a full tank, so this is actually the 25th tankful).

Mileage:   3411.0 miles
Miles Ridden:   160.5 miles
Fuel:   2.463 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.999
Total Cost:   $9.85
Fuel Mileage:   65.16 MPG

I added one-third of a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner (enough to treat 11 gallons, so it's about 3.5 times stronger than necessary) to the tank. Hopefully, that'll clean the fuel injector and get the fuel mileage back up a bit.
-----
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:52:35 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - OCT 2012
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
-----
08 Oct 2012:
I performed the 3500 mile service today (at 3515.7 miles), which consisted of inspecting the cooling system. To do so, I had to remove the front fairing on the scooter. Here is how I did so:

1) Remove 3 hex-head screws on the front of the visor garnish (the black plastic shallow v-shaped strip below the visor, above the headlight) (need 5 mm hex-head wrench)

2) Remove the visor garnish

3) Remove the 2 phillips-head screws at the bottom of the visor (#2 phillips-head screwdriver required)

4) Remove the 2 phillips-head screws from the inner visor cover (one at each side of the instrument panel) (#2 phillips-head screwdriver required)

5) Remove the visor

6) Remove the 3 black plastic fasteners (one on each side of, and one in the center of the inner visor cover) (use the 5mm hex wrench to push the inner post of the fastener in, while pulling out gently on the visor inner cover)

7) Remove two phillip-head screws at the bottom of the visor inner cover, one on each side. (#2 phillips-head screwdriver required)

8) Remove the visor inner cover

9) Pull the center posts of those three black plastic fasteners out a bit, so when you're putting it all back together, it goes together easily.

10) Remove the two nuts just above the headlight (10 mm socket required)

11) Remove the two phillips-head screws in the extreme upper corners of the fairing (looking at the bike from the front, they'd be above the headlight, on each side of the instrument panel (which you can now see from the front, now that the visor inner cover is removed. (#2 phillips-head screwdriver required) (NOTE: these were really tight on my bike... push hard on the screwdriver so it doesn't slip and mess up the screw head)

12) Remove 10 phillips-head screws along the backside of the front fairing (sit on the seat, look along the edge of the front fairing, it's the top 5 screws on the left and right) (#2 phillips-head screwdriver required)

13) Remove 2 phillips-head screws at the bottom of the front fairing, in the wheelwell (one on each side) (#2 phillips-head screwdriver required)

14) Lift up slightly on the bottom of the front fairing, wiggling it back and forth slightly to work it off the two screw posts just above the headlight. Remove the front fairing, but hold onto it! Put down a few thick clothes on the front fender (so you don't scratch the fender), and balance it on there while you do the next step.

15) Unplug the headlight/running lights/turn signals wiring

16) Remove the front fairing

Once that was accomplished, I inspected the radiator and radiator cap (although I wasn't able to purchase a radiator cap tester in time for the maintenance). I used a special camera from work that's used for inspecting boiler tubes to look inside the radiator... if you don't have something like this, you'd have to drain the coolant, undo the fill-neck connection to the radiator, and use a small mirror and bright light to look in. It's a tight bend from the filler neck to the radiator, but fortunately the camera has a long, thin optic cable that can be put into places like this. It's got a bright light on it, as well, allowing me to see the inside of the radiator even though it was filled with coolant. I didn't have much distance that I could see, but by moving the optic fiber close to the walls and inlet ports, I was able to see them clearly. Never having seen the inside of one of these radiators when it was brand new, I have no frame of reference, but the walls of the radiator were clean, the passage inlets didn't look to be blocked, it looked new.

I cleaned the inner and outer seating surfaces of the filler neck and the radiator cap, checked all the hose connections to be sure they were tight and leak-free, and looked at the coolant pump weep-hole to be sure the mechanical seal was intact. The components under the fairing were clean, so I decided against cleaning everything while I had the fairing off.

Now that I know how to get the front fairing plastic off, I'll be looking about for a 12V power plug to put next to the ignition switch (like DaveABQ has done here: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7178.msg79554#msg79554). That'll let me plug in the battery tender more easily, as well as allowing for easy jump-starts should I ever find the battery dead while I'm out and about.

Next maintenance item (at 3600 miles):
Inspect brake system
Inspect / Fill / Replace battery
-----
12 Oct 2012:
My 25th fuel up (the bike came from the dealer with a full tank, so this is actually the 26th tankful).

Mileage:   3561.7 miles
Miles Ridden:   150.7 miles
Fuel:   2.370 gallons
Price/Gal:   $4.499
Total Cost:   $10.66
Fuel Mileage:   63.59 MPG

I added one-third of a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner (enough to treat 11 gallons, so it's about 3.5 times stronger than necessary) to the tank. Hopefully, that'll clean the fuel injector and get the fuel mileage back up a bit.
-----
31 Oct 2012:
My 26th fuel up (the bike came from the dealer with a full tank, so this is actually the 27th tankful).

Mileage:   3722.9 miles
Miles Ridden:   161.2 miles
Fuel:   2.418 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.849
Total Cost:   $9.31
Fuel Mileage:   66.67 MPG

-----
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:26:12 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - NOV 2012
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 03:37:56 AM »
-----
05 Nov 2012:
I finally got around to performing the 3600 mile service today... a combination of working too hard, not having the energy to do it, and being occupied with the wife and kids.

Anyway, the maintenance items for today consisted of checking the battery fluid level, and checking the braking system.

I pried off the top sealing strip from the battery. Only two of the cells had liquid above the tops of the cell plates. I went to Walgreens down the block and bought a gallon of distilled water, and very carefully added just enough water to each cell so that when I tipped the battery back and forth, I could see a bit of liquid sloshing across the tops of the plates. The little sealing strip that goes along the top of the battery has these little cups, and I used one of those to pour the water into, then dump it from there into each cell. It took a long time because the cups on the sealing strip are small, but I didn't want to just pour from the gallon jug for fear of overfilling. I installed the battery back into the scooter, fired it up to be sure it still ran alright and I didn't get any error codes from disconnecting the battery, then plugged in the battery tender to let it charge overnight.

The second item was the braking system. Nothing much to report here, as I go very easy on the brakes. I inspected all the components from the brake levers and reservoirs, to the brake lines, to the brake pads and brake discs. The only problem I found is that a bit of paint around the edge of the left-hand brake fluid reservoir cap has come off, probably because it was exposed to brake fluid... so when I change the brake fluid, I may have to get a new o-ring to be sure that cap seals correctly.

These maintenance items were performed at 3762 miles.

Next maintenance (at 3800 miles):
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace gear oil
-----
12 Nov 2012:
Changed the engine oil, gear oil and oil filter. Same as before, the engine oil was a darker purple but no metal flakes, the oil filter was darkened but no metal flakes, and the gear oil had a slight amount of very tiny silvery metal flakes in it.

I put 0.25 liters of gear oil in using the MixMizer giant syringe, even though we're only supposed to put 0.18 liters. I think that's too little. I didn't have any gear oil pulled into the air cleaner housing since the last oil change at 3276 miles.

These maintenance items were performed at 3798 miles.

Next maintenance items (at 4000 miles):
Inspect suspension
Inspect/Replace tires
Inspect/Replace drive belt & variator
Tighten all nuts and bolts
-----
20 Nov 2012:
My 28th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   3894.9 miles
Miles Ridden:   172.0 miles
Fuel:   2.497 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.699
Total Cost:   $9.24
Fuel Mileage:   68.88 MPG

The increased fuel mileage could be one of two things:
1) On a hot day, I rode aggressively to warm up the tires, then put exactly 37 PSI in each tire. The added pressure reduces rolling resistance.
2) The fuel-injector cleaner did its job.

I bought some SeaFoam, and I'll be adding that to each tankful (1 oz. SeaFoam per gallon of fuel) after this tank. I didn't add anything to this tank, just to be sure all the fuel injector cleaner is burned before I add anything else.
-----
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:53:45 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - DEC 2012
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
-----
15 Dec 2012:
Performed the 4000 mile maintenance item. It consisted of:
  Inspect suspension
  Inspect/Replace tires
  Inspect/Replace drive belt & variator
  Tighten all nuts and bolts

Nothing much to report except I found one bolt on the muffler was a bit loose. I used medium strength threadlocker and tightened it down. The belt is just now starting to show signs of wear, just the slightest amount of scuffing on the beveled edges of the belt, and the sides of the belt 'cogs' (the bumps) where they meet the sheave are now worn down a bit. If no other problems arise with the belt before then, I'll probably replace it at 12,000 miles.

These items were performed at 4052 miles. They were delayed due to everyone in the house getting the flu.
-----
17 Dec 2012:
After work, I noticed my trip odometer at 157 miles, and thought I'd have to fill up soon, but the fuel gage wasn't on the last segment yet, nor was it blinking. Curious as to how far I could ride before it did start blinking, I started riding in a big loop, jumping onto the freeway for a few miles, then backtracking down a side road to the freeway onramp, so that if the bike did run out of gas, at least I'd be within a couple miles of my gas station. So I rode... and rode... and rode... finally, at about 174 miles, the fuel gage started blinking. Of course, I'd just started a new loop so I had to ride to 178.7 miles on the trip odometer to get to the gas station. Still, that's a great deal farther than the 140 to 150 I used to have to fill up at.

My 29th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   4073.6 miles
Miles Ridden:   178.7 miles
Fuel:   2.563 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.349
Total Cost:   $8.58
Fuel Mileage:   69.72 MPG

I added three ounces of SeaFoam to the fuel tank.
-----
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:29:40 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - JAN 2013
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »
-----
05 Jan 2013:
I performed the 4200 mile service today, which consisted of checking the braking system. Still nothing much to report in regards to the braking system, as I tend to ride such that the brakes don't get utilized a lot. I keep a good following distance behind other vehicles, and allow the engine to do most of the braking.

Next maintenance (at 4400 miles):
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Check engine oil filter screen
Replace gear oil
-----
08 Jan 2013:
My 30th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   4251.0 miles
Miles Ridden:   177.4 miles
Fuel:   2.552 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.499
Total Cost:   $8.93
Fuel Mileage:   69.51 MPG

-----
10 Jan 2013:
Someone stole the mirrors off the bike while it was parked in the parking garage at work. I'll have to order replacement mirrors.

{UPDATE}
I ordered new replacement mirrors from Rockridge Scooters, the same place I purchased the scooter from. Total cost with shipping and sales tax: $109.00
-----
25 Jan 2013:
The replacement mirrors arrived from Rockridge Scooters. I'll put them on this weekend, with threadlock to hopefully prevent this sort of thing happening again.
-----
27 Jan 2013:
The new mirrors are mounted, and the new 2014 registration tag is on the license plate.

I used medium strength threadlock compound on the mirror mounting bolts, then tightened the locknuts as tight as I dared. Hopefully, no one will be able to steal them this time.
-----
30 Jan 2013:
My 31st fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   4425.7 miles
Miles Ridden:   174.7 miles
Fuel:   2.597 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.559
Total Cost:   $9.24
Fuel Mileage:   67.27 MPG

I'll do the 4400 mile service this weekend.
-----
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:39:47 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - FEB 2013
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:11 AM »
-----
04 Feb 2013:
I didn't get to the oil change this weekend, so as soon as I got home from work today, I drained the oil and replaced the oil filter.

In doing so, I discovered that one of the bolts that holds the oil filter cover in place was stripped. Actually, the threads in the tapped hole are stripped, the bolt itself was fine. The bolt had the stripped threads from the tapped hole wrapped around it. Oddly, there were only about 1-1/2 threads worth of mating between the bolt threads and the tapped hole threads, so it's little wonder it stripped out, despite me being cautious to not use excessive torque. So, I'll drill out the hole a bit, and put a threaded insert in. I've also decided to change the configuration of the oil filter cover a bit. Rather than bolts that go through the oil filter cover and into the engine block, I'm going to put threaded posts that stick out from the engine block, and use nylon locknuts on those posts. That'll save the aluminum engine block from further wear and tear on those threads.

So the scooter is down for the time being, until I can get it repaired. I didn't refill it with oil yet.
-----
08 Feb 2013:
I finally got the oil filter cover fixed. Amazing how few stores (I'm looking at you Home Depot, Home Depot Pro, Lowes, Ace, True Value) carry metric hardware. I had to go around to all the hardware stores, mixing and matching because their metric hardware drawers were usually empty or poorly stocked.

But, I finally got the parts I needed:
$24.97 - Irwin 12 piece Metric 3mm - 7mm tap and die set
$6.47 - Loctite 242 Blue Threadlocker
$2.50 - bag of 1/4" flat washers (I couldn't find any metric washers, so I chose the closest SAE size I could find)
$2.10 - Three 50mm long, 7mm bolts
$1.36 - 2 bags of 7mm hex nuts
------
$37.40

First, some background:
==========
The three 6mm bolts that hold our oil covers on are 16.5mm long. The oil filter cover itself is just under 8mm thick. This leaves approximately 8.5mm of thread for those bolts to grab. That's only a THIRD OF AN INCH.

But the holes themselves are 22mm deep, and with a regular tap, you can get 18mm of threads (about .7 inches). If you have a bottoming tap, you should be able to get all 22mm (.86 inches) threaded, but I wasn't able to find a 7mm metric bottoming tap in any of the stores. So, you could use a 25mm long, 6mm bolt to replace the current ones, and it'd give you a much better grip.

Anyway, with so few threads, it's no wonder those threads stripped out, even with me being careful to use a torque wrench to properly torque the bolts each time. I've changed the oil 10 times already (11 counting today's), and it's an aluminum block. Those threads can't take much wear and tear, being aluminum.

I decided to change things up a bit. Rather than threaded holes that bolts are screwed into, I decided to go with studs sticking out, that nuts are screwed onto. That way, the studs are never removed, so the aluminum block and those threads are spared.

You'll notice in the price / parts list above that I purchased three 50mm long, 7mm bolts. These are Grade 8 bolts, much tougher than the aluminum, so they should last pretty much forever in this application without any problem.
==========

How I did it:
==========
  The studs:
  ==========
  What I did was convert those bolts into studs by cutting the heads off, grinding a slight bevel onto the cut end, then using the die to clean up the threads. When I was finished, each was 47 mm long.

At 47 mm long, that would have left me with about 20 or 21 mm of threads outside the filter cover. I had planned to put rubber bushings (with washers on each side) onto the studs and tighten the nuts against that to maintain tension on the oil filter cover without the possibility of over-tightening it.

But, when I did a test fit in the scooter, I found that the bottom front stud was in the way of the main kickstand. So, I was left with no other option than to shorten the studs to 43mm, and not use the rubber bushing.

You'll notice that I'm using double nuts, one backed against another to keep them tight. I was unable to find any store that had 7mm nylon locknuts. After I find them, I'll be able to use the rubber bushings and the nylon locknuts together, as removing one of the nuts currently used frees up 5mm of space.
  ==========

The oil filter cover:
  ==========
  The three holes in the oil filter cover had to be enlarged to accomodate the larger bolts (studs). I used a 19/64th inch drill bit, since that's just a tiny bit bigger than 7mm (7.54mm, to be exact).
  ==========

The holes:
  ==========
  I tapped out the holes to 7mm. I didn't drill them out or anything, just ran the 7mm tap up the existing 6mm threads. I'd make a half-turn on the tap, then back it up to break the metal shard it was creating, then go back in another half-turn deeper, etc. Every two turns of the tap, I took it out and blew out the metal shavings with compressed air. This made for very clean-cut threads.
  ==========

Assembly:
  ==========
  Once I got the holes tapped and the studs cut to the proper length, I put some blue Loctite threadlocker on the first 10mm of the studs, screwed them in (I double-nutted the other end of the stud so I had something to wrench on), removed the double-nuts, put the oil filter, spring and oil cover on, and buttoned it up.

One thing that has changed is how to put the filter/spring/cover in place. The old method was to hold all three together as you shoved them into the hole, then held the cover tight to keep the spring compressed as you got your 6mm screws put in and tightened.

With the studs in the way now, it's difficult to do that, so I came up with a different way. I bugged my wife until she let me have one of our refrigerator magnets. I picked the strongest one, it was on a bottle-top opener that we never use, sent to her by some friends. The magnet was really strong. I pried the magnet out (it was glued in to a little indent in the metal, and came out after a bit of bending the bottle top opener and prying beneath the magnet).

Now, I slip the oil filter into place, then put the magnet on the outside of the oil filter cover, and the spring on the inside. Magnetism holds both in place as I slide the oil filter cover onto the studs. If the magnet drops, you know the spring has dropped inside the cover, so pull it apart and start over. Once the spring and oil filter are squashed together, it's pretty much the same as before... just hold them together with one hand while you get the nuts onto the studs.
  ==========
==========

Pictures:
==========
See attachments.
==========

I also changed the oil, oil filter and gear oil. Mileage: 4480.4

Gear Oil - Royal Purple MaxGear With Synerlec 75W-140

Next maintenance items (at 4500 miles):
Clean / Replace spark plug
Inspect steering head bearing
-----
18 Feb 2013:
I performed the 4500 mile service today, which consisted of inspecting the steering head bearing, and cleaning/replacing the spark plug.

The steering head bearing is checked by twisting and pulling on the handlebars. If you feel any slop or play, you have to disassemble the whole front end to get to the steering head bearing, and inspect it / replace it. Fortunately, I experienced no slop or play, so there's no need to do anything further.

The spark plug (an NGK DPR7Eix-9 Iridium) I pulled out and replaced with the second one I'd bought on 26 Feb 2011. This spark plug's been in the bike since 09 Jul 2011 and 830.9 miles, so 3717.7 miles of service. I changed it out for the new one to see if it'd get rid of the occasional cold idle 'lump', but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. The old spark plug, which was a perfect light tan color with no buildup, has been cleaned and will be a backup.

Mileage for maintenance: 4548.6

Next maintenance items (4800 miles):
Inspect brake system
-----
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:02:37 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - MAR 2013
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 08:07:43 PM »
-----
02 Mar 2013:
My 32nd fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   4605.6 miles
Miles Ridden:   179.9 miles
Fuel:   2.728 gallons
Price/Gal:   $4.049
Total Cost:   $11.05
Fuel Mileage:   65.95 MPG

The fuel gauge had been blinking since before I began my high-speed run on the freeway. I went about 15 miles at freeway speeds. Just after the exit, there's a long downslope, which I coasted down, then I turned left up a hill, where the engine started sputtering. So I was *really* low on gas. At the top of that hill was a right turn, then a very long downslope, then a right turn onto a flat section of road until I get to Costco. Since I was so close to the fuel pumps, I decided to detour about an eighth of a mile to pick up a Subway sandwich. On the last turn, the engine died. I coasted into the Subway parking lot and got my sandwich, came back out and it started up fine, but sputtered and died when pulling out of the parking lot. I restarted and gingerly coaxed it to the fuel pumps, it died the final time not 100 feet from there, so I just coasted in. So, at least I know I've got a mile or so I can ride after it sputters the first time, should I need to coax it to a gas station. Give it aggressive throttle, and it'll die, but go gingerly, and it'll keep running. Strangely, I thought this was supposed to be a 3 gallon tank. Perhaps my fuel pickup isn't close enough to the tank bottom? Something to investigate at a later date.
-----
26 Mar 2013:
My 33rd fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   4762.6 miles
Miles Ridden:   157.0 miles
Fuel:   2.495 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.939
Total Cost:   $9.83
Fuel Mileage:   62.93 MPG
-----
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:23:30 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - APR 2013
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »
-----
16 Apr 2013:
My 34th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   4934.7 miles
Miles Ridden:   172.1 miles
Fuel:   2.480 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.859
Total Cost:   $9.57
Fuel Mileage:   69.40 MPG

I'm not sure why the fuel mileage bounced from 62.93 MPG all the way back up to 69.40 MPG. I didn't add any fuel injector cleaner to the tank on the last fuel-up or on this one, I didn't change my riding style, amount I ride, or route I take. Weird, but I hope it keeps going up.

I also finally got around to doing the 4800 mile service of inspecting the brake system, but there's nothing new to report.

Next maintenance items (5000 miles):
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace gear oil
-----
27 Apr 2013:
Time for the 5000 mile service.
I changed the engine oil, oil filter and gear oil. Mileage: 5050.8

There were only a very few small silver-colored metal flakes (probably aluminum) in the oil this time, and *no* small gold colored flakes as I'd seen before.

As I was loosening the nuts to take the oil filter cover off, I discovered one of the posts could turn (ie: the threadlocker didn't do its job), so I removed it, put more threadlocker compound on it, and screwed it back in.

Next maintenance item (5200 miles):
Adjust valve clearance
-----
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:41:36 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - May 2013
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 07:23:52 AM »
-----
03 May 2013:
My 35th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   5103.9 miles
Miles Ridden:   169.2 miles
Fuel:   2.463 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.799
Total Cost:   $9.36
Fuel Mileage:   68.7 MPG
-----
12 May 2013:
I performed the 5200 mile service today, which consisted of checking valve clearance. The valves were at exactly 0.1 mm, so no adjustments were needed. Mileage was 5161.4 miles.

As I was taking out the Met-In Box, I noticed a green buildup coming out of the lower right-hand corner of the battery box. "Uh oh", I thought to myself, "My battery's either exploded, or cracked, and is leaking." I'd seen a (relatively new) battery explode recently on a 1500 KW diesel generator at work, and it wasn't pretty, so I was very apprehensive as I opened up that battery box.

I hadn't had it on the battery tender for about a month, so it couldn't have been the battery tender overcharging it... beside, it's what they call an "intelligent" charger, it steps down the charge rate as the battery charges, until it shuts off charging completely and just monitors voltage. And the maximum charge rate is only 8 watts (0.75 amps). Hardly enough to boil the battery.

And I've not filled up the battery since 05 Nov 2012, and the battery acid has certainly not been in the battery box that long, it was mostly still wet. And I just put enough distilled water in each cell so you could see the slightest amount of water above the tops of the plates... there was plenty of room for sloshing and bubbling.

So I pulled out the Met-In Box, disconnected the battery and pulled it out. It was sopping wet with battery acid. I took apart half the rear end of the bike trying to figure out how to get the battery box out... turns out there's just three screws inside the battery box.

I saw the two bottom ones, but the top middle one was so covered by a gray mineral looking substance that I couldn't even see it. It appeared as though the battery acid came out of the battery and deposited mostly on the back wall of the battery box. After I discovered that the back wall of the battery box wasn't supposed to be light gray in color, I scratched around with a screwdriver until I found the head of the third bolt, cleaned it out enough that I could get a socket in there, and removed the battery box. I also removed everything beneath it that had gotten dripped on. I then washed everything clean and scrubbed it until there was no trace of the buildup. The only lasting effect was one of the battery box cover circlips (those little metal clips that the bolts screw into) got its bronze coating stripped off because of the acid. I'll buy a new one eventually (when I find four new ones that are the same size as the old), but for now, it's still usable.

I inspected the battery for cracks and leaks under a bright light, then out in the bright sunshine, but found nothing. I suspect a problem in the charging circuitry of the bike is overcharging the battery, but have no way of knowing how to test it. I don't have any other symptoms... no burned out lights, no erratic gauge readings, no lights brighter than normal, no blown fuses, etc.

If anyone knows how to test the charging system to be sure it's working correctly, please PM me.

I also adjusted my throttle lash a bit. I'd tightened it up just a smidge too much previously (on 07 May 2011, setting it to 3 mm), so low-end throttle control wasn't as fine-grained as I'd like it to be. Now I have about 5 mm of lash in the twist grip, and the low-end throttle control is much better.

I also disconnected the Met-In Box light... permanently. I bought a weather proof power outlet that will go in there, I just have to find a washer or insert that'll fit... the power outlet is a wee bit smaller than the light, so there's some play that I want to get rid of. I'll use that power outlet to plug in the battery tender when the scooter is going to be sitting for a long time, or when the battery is low. I also bought a cool power cord like the old style coiled cord for phones... it'll make storing the cord a snap... just toss it into the Met-In Box, no coiling it up required, as I had to do with the old battery tender cord.

Next maintenance items (at 5400 miles):
Inspect brake system
-----
23 May 2013:
My 36th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   5257.4 miles
Miles Ridden:   153.5 miles
Fuel:   2.354 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.949
Total Cost:   $9.30
Fuel Mileage:   65.21 MPG
-----
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:22:25 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - Jun 2013
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 11:46:02 PM »
-----
08 Jun 2013:
It's time to improve the lighting on and visibility of the scooter.

I ordered the following items:
1) W5W 501 T10 5W 5 WATT CREE LED Wedge Car Light Bulbs - Xenon White
I ordered two of these. They're very bright. They'll go into the front headlight housing in place of the two positional lamps, which also draw 5 watts. So the net load on the electrical system won't change, but the light being thrown foward will increase.

2) Kisan Tech P75W PathBlazer Headlight Modulator
This is a device to modulate the headlight high beam (ie: make it flash) during the day, then allow full brightness during night riding. I have to cut one wire to install it. The flashing will lower electrical system load a bit, but not much. This is more for increasing awareness of surrounding drivers that I'm there.

3) Kisan Tech T50W TailBlazer brake light flasher
This is a device to flash the brake light when the brakes are first applied. I have to cut one wire to install it.
-----
14 Jun 2013:
My 37th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   5427.7 miles
Miles Ridden:   170.3 miles
Fuel:   2.466 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.859
Total Cost:   $9.52
Fuel Mileage:   69.06 MPG

As I was doing my pre-ride inspection prior to leaving work, I found that the high beam on the headlight had burned out (I always ride with the high beam on during the day, so it gets the majority of the use). So I went to Kragen and bought a Sylvania (Osram) Silverstar Ultra (part number 9003/HB2 H4 SU). This is an ultra-bright headlight that is an H2 bulb that is compatible with our H4 headlight system.
-----
15 Jun 2013:
I performed the 5400 mile maintenance item today, inspecting the brake system. Since others were discussing new brake pads here:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=9154.0
I believe I'll order a set soon and replace them when the next brake shoes maintenance item rolls around, at 6000 miles. The brake pads that are on there still look barely used because my riding style tends to be easy on the brakes, but just to be on the safe side.

I installed the new headlight, but had a bit of trouble figuring out how the little spring clip that holds the bulb goes back on, along with the little bronzed-color flat piece of metal that holds the spring clip. I'd have taken a picture before disassembling it, as a reference, but my wife took all the digital cameras with her to Taiwan. I finally figured it out, though.

I also installed the Kisan Tech P75W PathBlazer Headlight Modulator. I had to cut the blue headlight wire to wire it into the circuit, which I did upstream of the plug, so that I didn't have to worry about unplugging the light sensor cable every time I took the front Tupperware off the bike. I stripped back some of the electrical tape that was on the wires from the factory, then cut the blue wire and took out a section of it about an inch long. I stripped the two ends of the blue wire back about a quarter inch, and tried to put the crimp connectors that Kisan had included onto the wires... they were much too small a diameter to take the wire. So, off to Kragen I went to get new crimp connectors and some electrical tape. After installing the new crimp connectors (which were just a tiny bit wider than the ones Kisan provided, but I squeezed them down in width a bit), I found there was the potential for them to touch the aluminum housing of the flasher unit, thereby creating a circuit that would bypass the flasher, leaving me with a high beam that was always on, rather than flashing when it was supposed to. So, I slid the aluminum housing off the PathBlazer and filed down the ends so the housing was just a bit shorter.

The way it's now assembled, the blue wire provides a bit of a 'push' on the crimp connectors (because it's just a tiny bit longer now than the other wires in the bundle), keeping them firmly in place on the connection lugs of the PathBlazer, so the connections can't wiggle loose over time. I wrapped it all up with electrical tape, leaving the aluminum housing exposed, as I'm assuming it's a heat sink for the electronics inside.

For the light sensor that signals the PathBlazer when to flash the headlight, I drilled a hole in the dashboard on the left side (as you're on the bike, looking forward), on the far outer edge, just next to the Tupperware, and approximately on the same level as the bottom of the instrument cluster. There was an empty area behind that section of dashboard such that I could easily bundle up the extra-long sensor wire there without it getting in the way of anything else, and the headlight connector is on that side anyway. I started with an undersized drill bit, and did a lot of test fitting, drilling out just a tiny bit each time, until the sensor fit in the hole perfectly. The sensor head has threads on it, with a nut on the back, so it's screwed to the dashboard securely now.

I have a drop-light in the garage and I first attempted to test it (because I wanted to be sure it all worked before I put all the Tupperware back) by hooking up my multimeter to the headlight connector without the headlight connected, and shining the drop-light on the sensor, but the drop-light was CFL (flourescent), and wouldn't trigger the flashing, so I went upstairs and pilfered an incandescent bulb from the hallway light (it needed to be replaced with a flourescent anyway, so two birds, one stone) and put that into the drop-light and tried to retest... still no flashing, at least my digital meter wasn't registering any... now I was getting worried. As a last resort, I hooked up the headlight and tested again... it worked, much to my relief. Apparently, either my digital meter wasn't registering the voltage fluctuations, or the Pathblazer needs a load to make the light modulate.

Tomorrow I'll install the TailBlazer brake light flasher, which should be easier than the PathBlazer installation.

Soon, I hope to receive the LEDs in the mail, and that'll necessitate me taking off the front Tupperware again, but at least I got the PathBlazer headlight flasher working for now.

Next maintenance item (at 5500 miles):
Replace air filter
-----
16 Jun 2013:
I installed the TailBlazer brake light flasher today, and I've got to say, it was *more* difficult than installing the PathBlazer, not because of the TailBlazer itself, but getting the bike apart was almost impossible, since I'd never done it before. In the manual, it says that you can take off four screws and the tail light cover will come off... it doesn't. Come to find out that the Tupperware is in the way a bit, and the gasket around the tail light cover sticks to the tail light cover, making it necessary to take ALL the rear Tupperware off, taking the entire tail light assembly out of the Tupperware, and carefully prying the tail light cover out of the tail light assembly. Even doing all this, I managed to crack the tail light cover, so I have to order another one. When I install the new tail light cover, I'm going to put a bit of white grease on the gasket that keeps water out of the tail light assembly, to prevent it from sticking to the tail light cover, and to lubricate it a bit so it slides out easier next time I need to change the brake light or blinker lights. The tail light cover is supposed to slide straight back to remove it, after removing the four screws.

I got all the screws out, and tried to take the Tupperware off, but it just wouldn't come, until I got mad and jerked it violently from the rear of the bike... and accidentally found the trick to getting it off easily, which I'll talk about soon.

Ok, first you've got to take out the Met-In box, the cover at the front of the seat under the Met-In box, unscrew the two side panel screws (above the passenger footpegs), unscrew the tail light cover screws, take off the backrest and luggage rack, then take off the rear fender (where the license plate is).

Once you've got all that loosened, pull out on the plastic clips on the sides of the body (the sections right below the seat, and above the black parts, on the side of the bike) to free the side Tupperware from the black plastic below it, then go to the rear of the bike, put your hand up inside the plastic, and pull straight back to get it off the two little bolt hole studs there. There's actually two pieces together on those two bolt hole studs... the outer Tupperware, and a silver looking piece of plastic. You need to pull to get both of those free. Once those are free, the entire thing will lift back and up (slide it back a bit, then lift it up off the place where the seat backrest bolts to), and the whole thing (the side Tupperware and the rear Tupperware and the tail light assembly) will lift right off. Before you pull it all the way off, reach in and unplug the tail light assembly wires.

Whew! It was a lot of work the first time. The second time (because I accidentally put the outer Tupperware inside the black plastic part on the right side when putting it together the first time, so I had to take it apart again to fix that) the Tupperware came right off no problem... that one little trick of pulling straight back on the Tupperware at the rear of the bike to get it off those two bolt hole studs that the rear fender bolts to was what did it.

Anyway, I did much the same as I did for the PathBlazer... I cut the wire back a bit, making it so the brake light wire was just a bit longer than the other wires in the bundle so it was always pushing the crimp connectors onto the TailBlazer connection lugs, so they couldn't wiggle loose, then taped it all up, leaving the aluminum housing untaped.

Putting it all back together was *much* easier... it took a few hours to get it apart the first time, only about half an hour to get it all back together.

So now the PathBlazer is installed, and the TailBlazer is installed. The next step is putting in the two LEDs that I ordered for the "daytime running lights" on each side of the headlight. I hope to get them in the mail soon.
-----
22 Jun 2013:
Today I installed the two LED lights I'd ordered:
W5W 501 T10 5W 5 WATT CREE LED Wedge Car Light Bulbs - Xenon White

I installed the LEDs in the positional lights (ie: the "daytime running lights", those lights on each side of the headlight).

All I can say is "Wow". They're amazingly bright with a very white temperature color, the light is well-directed toward the middle of the road ahead of the bike, and they make the bike much brighter and more conspicuous when viewed from the front.

The headlight is a 4000K temperature color Sylvania (Osram) SilverStar Ultra, so these LEDs are probably 5000K or 6000K.
-----
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:51:18 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - JUL 2013
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »
-----
06 Jul 2013:
My 38th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   5591.3 miles
Miles Ridden:   163.6 miles
Fuel:   2.375 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.869
Total Cost:   $9.19
Fuel Mileage:   68.88 MPG
-----
08 Jul 2013:
I performed the 5500 mile service today. I changed the air filter. Here's the weird thing... there was oil inside the oil filter, on the downwind side, but none on the upwind side... the oil vapors from the engine crankcase ventilation perhaps condensing in there? I'm not sure. It wasn't a lot of oil, but still.

I also performed the 5600 mile service today.
I changed the engine oil, oil filter and gear oil. Mileage: 5611.4

I ordered 4 more Kymco OEM air filters from StadiumYamaha.com, for a grand total of $87.85, including shipping and handling.

I ordered 10 more HF562 oil filters from DennisKirk.com, for a grand total of $51.49, including shipping and handling. They had 5 filters in stock, so 5 are on back order. The price for these filters went up to $4.30 each, from $3.90 each last time I ordered.

I also cleaned the bike up a bit, inside the air filter housing, around the front and rear suspension, both tire rims, and the sides and bottom of the engine.

Next maintenance items (at 6000 miles):
Inspect brake system
Clean/replace spark plug
Inspect suspension
Inspect/replace tires
Replace fuel filter
Inspect brake levers
Inspect/replace brake shoes
Inspect shocks
Replace radiator coolant
Replace variator roller weights

For the 6000 mile maintenance items, the scooter will be down for a time. My wife went to Dr. Pulley in Taiwan, and they told her they don't make custom slider weights any more. So I'll have to order the heaviest they've got, and fill in the center with epoxy or something to increase the weight of each slider a bit.
-----
12 Jul 2013:
Five of the HiFlo Filtro HF562 oil filters I'd ordered from DennisKirk.com arrived. The other five are on back order and will be shipped later.
-----
29 Jul 2013:
The last 5 HiFlo Filtro HF562 oil filters arrived from DennisKirk.com.
-----
31 Jul 2013:
My 39th fuel up. I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel.

Mileage:   5739.6 miles
Miles Ridden:   148.3 miles
Fuel:   2.223 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.769
Total Cost:   $8.38
Fuel Mileage:   66.71 MPG
-----
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:24:48 PM by Yager200i »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()