Author Topic: Scooter suddenly started shaking on acceleration and rolls forward at idle  (Read 2215 times)

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: Scooter suddenly started shaking on acceleration and rolls forward at idle
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2023, 11:57:46 AM »
Sorry to read that, Mouse!
Since a CVT consists of a lot of parts, I would not take the mechanics statement as granted.

Front pulleys? What happened to them? Clutch, completely disintegrated? Belt, okay, should be.
Demand documentation of all this .

All complete CVT inclusive clutch and belt should not be more than €500,- for your scoot, plus two hours of labour.
 Do they charge you for diagnostics too?

They said a roller broke open which caused much damage so the pulleys, belt and clutch have to be replaced. I didn't get any more information than that so I will ask for information tomorrow.

Diagnostics will be included in the final price, no idea about the final value, but it will be much higher than 500 EUR. 
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »
At those prices for all those parts on a 7 yr old 350 scooter - I'd pay them for their one hour of inspection, then I'd bring it home.
I'd do my own parts replacement ....as needed after inspecting.
A shattered weight might not have grenaded the entire CVT!....not every single part!?

But it is your dime, of course.
Good luck!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2023, 01:49:30 PM »
What Stig said....
Firstly there is very little opportunity for roller pieces to escape their area to the outside, as I recall. May be as dust but that's ir. A broken clutch shoe spring definitely but not a whole clutch. Even spring pieces won't go that far unless very small, again, not spring failure mode.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2023, 02:40:27 PM »
Mouse, I personally have an aversion against such general judgments done by dealership.

CVT, clutch and belt replacement is not really rocketscience, if you obey certain things and have some tools and handiness at ready.

Some things to repair is out of laymans reach, but this can be done by you.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2023, 02:51:19 PM »
What Stig said....
Firstly there is very little opportunity for roller pieces to escape their area to the outside, as I recall. May be as dust but that's ir. A broken clutch shoe spring definitely but not a whole clutch. Even spring pieces won't go that far unless very small, again, not spring failure mode.
Mouse, I personally have an aversion against such general judgments done by dealership.

CVT, clutch and belt replacement is not really rocketscience, if you obey certain things and have some tools and handiness at ready.

Some things to repair is out of laymans reach, but this can be done by you.

I would mostly agree. I am relying on the mechanic's opinion at this point, still have no idea what the physical damage actually looks like.

Will update you all soon.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 03:02:36 PM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2023, 02:18:20 AM »
Update:

Mechanic wants $3000 just for the 2x front pulleys, ramp plate 2x rear pulleys, sliders, rollers and belt plus 5 hours total for labor. Not including the clutch shoes or springs which is surprisingly undamaged.

Ummm...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 05:46:02 AM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Ericson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2023, 07:06:01 AM »
I would gladly to this job for you for 3000 USD with shipping myself from Europe and back + parts + labor included  ;D

Seriously - get the parts and do it yourself - it's a one hour job replacing all drive train with new parts. I'd get new clutch assembly as dissassembling the cluch without special tool is tricky and takes time so don't bother and buy whole clutch assembly and that will give you almost plug and play experience.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2023, 07:09:33 AM »
I would gladly to this job for you for 3000 USD with shipping myself from Europe and back + parts + labor included  ;D

Seriously - get the parts and do it yourself - it's a one hour job replacing all drive train with new parts. I'd get new clutch assembly as dissassembling the cluch without special tool is tricky and takes time so don't bother and buy whole clutch assembly and that will give you almost plug and play experience.

They wanted 5 hours labour. Well...

I wanted the experience of being ripped off by a mechanic - because I have never taken a bike to a mechanic in my life. Some dream do come true  :P

Parts have been ordered and will be fitted soon.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2023, 07:37:42 AM »
They wanted 5 hours labour. Well...

I wanted the experience of being ripped off by a mechanic - because I have never taken a bike to a mechanic in my life. Some dream do come true  :P

Parts have been ordered and will be fitted soon.

You’ll have your reasons I’m sure, but when in a similar position 7 months ago with my 4 year-old X-Town I cut my losses and traded it in, as was, for the  DTX360. Had mine just been bust CVT parts I’d have had a go at it!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2023, 09:25:22 AM »
You’ll have your reasons I’m sure, but when in a similar position 7 months ago with my 4 year-old X-Town I cut my losses and traded it in, as was, for the  DTX360. Had mine just been bust CVT parts I’d have had a go at it!

I actually do remember your posts about the X-town with the transmission failure. Did you ever find out what it was - the CVT and/or the reduction gears? I think you were right in trading it in.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2023, 10:56:08 AM »
It was the Variator nut coming loose and the fan destroying the internals Mouse, crucially including stripping the splines on the drive shaft necessitating an engine split to replace it.  Beyond my home mechanic skills.

I have to say, much as I liked the X-Town, the DTX360 is proving to be a worthy replacement.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 11:33:36 AM »
It was the Variator nut coming loose and the fan destroying the internals Mouse, crucially including stripping the splines on the drive shaft necessitating an engine split to replace it.  Beyond my home mechanic skills.

I have to say, much as I liked the X-Town, the DTX360 is proving to be a worthy replacement.
WoooWee!
If that ain't a warning to properly torque those 2 CVT nuts!!
CVT parts are one price...but, destroying the splines is a horror phone call from the mechanic!
Yeah, "sorta tight" is not good enough!...
Good reminder.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2023, 11:37:54 AM »
Update:

Mechanic wants $3000 just for the 2x front pulleys, ramp plate 2x rear pulleys, sliders, rollers and belt plus 5 hours total for labor. Not including the clutch shoes or springs which is surprisingly undamaged.

Ummm...
I think he is Politely telling you to Go away.
Do they have any good used parts on eBay where you live? Taken from a crashed scooter.
Do buy a new belt though.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2023, 11:50:40 AM »

This actually happened to me in my previous bike, the DT300i. But it was eventually nearing 80,000km so I decided that was the end.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2023, 12:32:45 PM »
I think he is Politely telling you to Go away.
Do they have any good used parts on eBay where you live? Taken from a crashed scooter.
Do buy a new belt though.
Stig

Parts are already ordered for DIY.

I think the DTX360 is a cool bike, a decent evolution of the DT350.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()