Author Topic: keyless ignition bit me today  (Read 502 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
keyless ignition bit me today
« on: April 13, 2023, 10:53:30 PM »
I was led to believe that I had to have my fob within 5-6, maybe 10 feet from my AK550 to work, Nooooooo, I left my fob on my dresser, in the house 100 feet away, maybe a little more, scooter started and I rode away on some errands, Had to call my GF and have her bring me my fob

I just soon have a key as something 10 times as big that can leave you stranded
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: keyless ignition bit me today
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 12:31:09 AM »
And that is one big reason I am anal about checking that I have my fob in my zippered riding pants that I ALWAYS wear when I ride. I also keep the spare fob in a RFID pouch in the storage box under the seat... and why I installed the hidden emergency seat latch release cable so I don't need the fob to open the seat.

I found by testing that the fob can be a really REALLY long way in front of the AK and it will still start. But if directly out to the sides or behind I do need to be within about 5-10 ft. At least that's what I found by trial and error testing. That front long distance is also why I carry an extra RFID pouch for the fob I am using when I go camping since sometimes my tent, where I keep my gear and thus my fob when I am sleeping, is well within the distance to enable the AK to start.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 03:09:11 AM »
thinking back to how and where I was parked, the scooter was aimed directly toward where the fob was sitting in the house
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 07:26:24 AM »
Worrying. I’ve not had this experience yet with my keyless DTX360 as, like Bob, I’m anal about having the fob in my riding jacket zippered pocket!  Also I make sure the spare fob is kept in a Faraday pouch!

Useful reminder of the dangers though, so thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 07:16:00 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 07:08:29 PM »
While I had my AK550, I noticed that the scooter would start with the fob in a box in my closet on the other side of the house. The car wouldn’t start without having the fob within 10 feet. Or less if the fob was on the other side of the garage wall. When I finish riding, I place the key/fob into my jacket pocket. Since I always wear a jacket when riding, my key is with me.

Now, to remember to lock and remove the trunk key prior to setting off…
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 12:20:40 AM by Mancashire »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 08:03:01 PM »
I store the fob for my ADV 150 in a metal can when not in use.  I don't want it "talking" to the scooter which is parked about 20 feet away.  I keep the fob for my wife's SUV stored on the opposite side of the house.  I have checked, both are out of range of the FOBs.   

My wife was bitten by her fob years ago.  She went somewhere with her nieces.  They drove somewhere and then dropped my wife off and drove somewhere else.  The problem was that my wife had the fob in her purse so once they shut the car off they were stuck.  My wife had to call a friend to get her and take her to her car.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 08:06:45 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 09:44:58 PM »
I was led to believe that I had to have my fob within 5-6, maybe 10 feet from my AK550 to work, Nooooooo, I left my fob on my dresser, in the house 100 feet away, maybe a little more, scooter started and I rode away on some errands, Had to call my GF and have her bring me my fob

I just soon have a key as something 10 times as big that can leave you stranded

I leave my FOB in the glove compartment....if that is what it is called.....I don't worry about someone trying to steal it.....I believe whatever you worry about will surely happen to you......

If I go somewhere and I'm gonna be away from the bike for more than ten or fifteen minutes I'll take it out and put it in my pocket.....

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 12:10:22 PM »
I leave my FOB in the glove compartment....if that is what it is called.....I don't worry about someone trying to steal it.....I believe whatever you worry about will surely happen to you......

If I go somewhere and I'm gonna be away from the bike for more than ten or fifteen minutes I'll take it out and put it in my pocket.....

Do you realize that whenever you fob is in "contact" with your bike it is draining the battery.  Your battery will last much longer if you store it out of range of your bike.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 03:43:04 PM »
Do you realize that whenever you fob is in "contact" with your bike it is draining the battery.  Your battery will last much longer if you store it out of range of your bike.

Actually the bike is still "actively" seeking a signal with the fob regardless if that fob is within range. That is why keyless ignition vehicles of all types will usually drain their batteries faster than antique keyed vehicles.  ;)
Although it is possible that the fob and bike systems are more active and drain the batteries very slightly more when they do "see" each other.

The fob is also always active even when it is out of range or, in my case, encased within a RFID pouch. I needed to replace the battery in both my fobs about 3 months ago. Both of them went dead at the same time even though my spare fob spends 99.9999% of the time within a RFID pouch sitting in the storage box since I first brought the bike home.

If both ends of the keyless system, the bike side and the fob side, were not actively sending or seeking a signal from one to the other then how would the bike know that the fob is there and respond. It is a constant ON system. One thing I do to prevent a little of the battery drain is to turn off the Noodoe Welcome light option (Noodoe phone app vehicle settings). That way I don't have the Noodoe screen turning on every time I walk near the AK if I do have the fob in my pocket and just walking in the garage or around the campsite when I am traveling. Screen lighting uses a lot of power compared to other "radio" signal devices.

BTW- even modern cars/SUVs that still use keys have other systems that are constantly ON and run down the battery if not driven/ridden at least every 1-2 weeks. I remember having a car a long time ago that I could let sit and not drive for 2-3 months and the battery was still strong to start it. Now my newest car, 2017 Legacy, which uses an old style key ignition will end up with a dead battery if I let it sit for 2 weeks and is too weak to start the engine if it sits for about ONE week. So I keep all vehicles on a Battery Tender if not used every other day at least. When I am on a 5 day mc camping trip with my AK I find that I will go for a ride in the area at least every other day so the battery is not yet run down enough to need the BT connected while at the campground... but I bring my BT Jr. anyway just in case. It's small and sits under the seat.
/bob

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 06:05:52 PM »
Actually the bike is still "actively" seeking a signal with the fob regardless if that fob is within range. That is why keyless ignition vehicles of all types will usually drain their batteries faster than antique keyed vehicles.  ;)
Although it is possible that the fob and bike systems are more active and drain the batteries very slightly more when they do "see" each other.

The fob is also always active even when it is out of range or, in my case, encased within a RFID pouch. I needed to replace the battery in both my fobs about 3 months ago. Both of them went dead at the same time even though my spare fob spends 99.9999% of the time within a RFID pouch sitting in the storage box since I first brought the bike home.

If both ends of the keyless system, the bike side and the fob side, were not actively sending or seeking a signal from one to the other then how would the bike know that the fob is there and respond. It is a constant ON system. One thing I do to prevent a little of the battery drain is to turn off the Noodoe Welcome light option (Noodoe phone app vehicle settings). That way I don't have the Noodoe screen turning on every time I walk near the AK if I do have the fob in my pocket and just walking in the garage or around the campsite when I am traveling. Screen lighting uses a lot of power compared to other "radio" signal devices.

BTW- even modern cars/SUVs that still use keys have other systems that are constantly ON and run down the battery if not driven/ridden at least every 1-2 weeks. I remember having a car a long time ago that I could let sit and not drive for 2-3 months and the battery was still strong to start it. Now my newest car, 2017 Legacy, which uses an old style key ignition will end up with a dead battery if I let it sit for 2 weeks and is too weak to start the engine if it sits for about ONE week. So I keep all vehicles on a Battery Tender if not used every other day at least. When I am on a 5 day mc camping trip with my AK I find that I will go for a ride in the area at least every other day so the battery is not yet run down enough to need the BT connected while at the campground... but I bring my BT Jr. anyway just in case. It's small and sits under the seat.

I was talking about the battery in the FOB, not your bike.  My wife uses the fob to her SUV much more than I use mine and I'm still on my original battery while she is one her third.  Maybe all fobs aren't designed the same.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 06:27:12 PM »
I was talking about the battery in the FOB, not your bike.  My wife uses the fob to her SUV much more than I use mine and I'm still on my original battery while she is one her third.  Maybe all fobs aren't designed the same.

True that...
My Rav4 is keyless ignition and my wife uses it a lot more than I do but early last year both our fobs went dead at the same time.

As with all keyless ignition systems there is always a backup for when the fob battery dies. On my Rav4 I simply hold the logo on the fob up to the ignition button and the vehicle turns on. On my AK I hold the "AK" logo that is embossed in the rubber fob cover (not the silver Kymco oval) on the circle pattern on the top the right glovebox and the bike turns on. Both of these vehicles only do that when the battery is dead in the fob and won't do it when the battery is good. They are smart remote systems. So having a dead fob has never stopped me from starting any of my keyless vehicles.
/bob

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 12:08:55 PM »

Well....I've had the bike for a year now with 4,000 miles and I have not had any issue with the battery....but I will keep that in mind.....every day I leave the house I forget something....always....without fail.....and so I chose to leave it in the bike compartment. Thanks for the heads up!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()