Motorcycles > Venox 250

Kymco Spade stolen, found, need to replace ignition

(1/1)

moparkid:
My nephew purchased a 2019 Kymco Spade about a 5 months ago, had it all of a week while riding it back and forth to work at Discount Tire.  Went outside after work one day and it was gone...stolen to be more precise. For some odd reason the dealer never told him it had a steering lock and he never knew he could lock it up to keep it from being stolen.

Well as luck would have it the Amarillo Police actually located it while out cruising. They knew only 2 Spades were listed in all of Amarillo and when attempting to pull over this particular Spade the offenders took off down an alley way, parked it and took off running, so we were able to get it back, though it had been repainted and a different ignition had been used and the original discarded.

My question.....will handle bar and steering assy need to be removed to access steering lock?

Thanks

Stig / Major Tom:

--- Quote from: moparkid on March 06, 2023, 05:56:02 PM ---My nephew purchased a 2019 Kymco Spade about a 5 months ago, had it all of a week while riding it back and forth to work at Discount Tire.  Went outside after work one day and it was gone...stolen to be more precise. For some odd reason the dealer never told him it had a steering lock and he never knew he could lock it up to keep it from being stolen.

Well as luck would have it the Amarillo Police actually located it while out cruising. They knew only 2 Spades were listed in all of Amarillo and when attempting to pull over this particular Spade the offenders took off down an alley way, parked it and took off running, so we were able to get it back, though it had been repainted and a different ignition had been used and the original discarded.

My question.....will handle bar and steering assy need to be removed to access steering lock?

Thanks

--- End quote ---
You need to access the steering lock or replace the ignition? Or both?
BTW: Steering locks on these small rides are easily snapped. Provide little theft prevention.  The device is certainly mentioned in the owner's manual.

Stig

Neil955i:

--- Quote from: Stig / Major Tom on March 06, 2023, 06:20:32 PM ---You need to access the steering lock or replace the ignition? Or both?
BTW: Steering locks on these small rides are easily snapped. Provide little theft prevention.  The device is certainly mentioned in the owner's manual.

Stig

--- End quote ---

True. A supplementary good quality lock and chain is always advisable.

moparkid:
Stig.....I guess if the steering lock is useless then Ill need to only replace the ignition. It looks like the thieves JB welded another ignition on it so it will need to be dremeled off I'm sure. I guess removing the gas tank is in order to get to ignition wiring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version