Author Topic: Tire Pressure  (Read 6301 times)

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Pressure
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »
I understand your opinion, but no reason.Why?
Why should this apply to every scooter (motorcycle and bicycle too?) and every application?But when it's over and when under?
You presented a thumb of rule with maximum contact area. Sounds logic for applying maximum forces (Drag racing, breaking). But what about shock absorbance or fuel economy or durability or water flooded (or snow covered) street?

Simply put.
Tire inflation controls the flexibility of a tire.
Tire contact to road equals traction.

Yes, you will get more MPG if you over inflate your tires and also take away from the traction.
Are you willing to sacrifice traction for MPG?
The more contact of the tire you have contacting the surface will increase tire life.
I don't see what water and flooding have to do with tire contact if you are using the proper tire. A rain tire is designed to push water out from the tire.
All of the conditions of water, snow, flooding depends on the amount of the tire tread you are using and this is controlled with tire PSI.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 02:28:49 PM »
So I reckon maybe I can get by without that fancy tire gauge then...

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 12:40:24 AM »
"The more contact of the tire you have contacting the surface will increase tire life."

This jogged my memory and didn't ring true as I recalled, so that nobody gets killed with incorrect tire pressures, I googled this. There's much more out their also. It's for cars in this case, but a tire's a tire.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tirepres.htm

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 02:12:05 AM »
A tire is a tire?  LOL! Not true and each tire is designed differently. Bias Ply, racing slicks, Steel Belted, Multi Ply, Passenger Car, Light Truck, motorcycle, scooter are to name a few.
It is very important with scooters and motorcycles to ensure you have the correct pressure with the most footprint of the tire in contact with the road.
Example: Someone who weighs 105lbs would adjust the tire pressure to there weight compared to if a couple with a combined weight of 400lbs. would use a higher tire PSI.
Its never written on a tire what the tire PSI should be it just tells the MAX PSI and load weight for the tire.
This seems to be getting very technical with many different opinions I can only advise the way I check tire pressure to ensure I am getting the best performance from my tires.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()