Author Topic: Rebuild engine, replace engine, sell as is?  (Read 1162 times)

Rickster

• View Profile
Rebuild engine, replace engine, sell as is?
« on: July 30, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »
Over the winter, I examined and rebuilt/replaced everything on my 2007 B&W 150, except for the engine - new tires, antifreeze, drive belt, variator rollers... you get the idea. She was ready to sell. Wouldn't you know it, but on a test ride, I believe the engine blew. I have not opened it up to verify that, but I'm pretty confident of that issue. (Engine noise + engine stop = blown engine.) I have zero experience rebuilding engines, and I have no special tools needed for such a task. Obviously, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and enjoy a challenge. So, my options are: 1) Rebuild it myself buying the needed tools along the way.  2) Have a dealership rebuild it for me. 3) Have a local small engine repair shop rebuild it for me. 4) Replace the engine with a different one. 5) Sell it / trade it for a different scooter, as is.

I'd like anyone's thoughts on what you would do, if this was your scoot. Thx.
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild engine, replace engine, sell as is?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 01:25:30 PM »
I think the reality is paying anyone to do any type of engine rebuild on an older scoot will cost more than the value of the scoot. If that's your only option I'd probably just sell 'as is', for parts.

Before giving up on it I'd first want to see if the engine will even turn over. ...and not with the starter button but by putting a socket and wrench on the variator nut. Will the engine spin over? If so, you're in better shape.

Have you visually scanned the motor for any cracks, holes, major leaks, etc.? If it is truly gone it would be much easier to swap in a used motor, assuming any of those are available...not many used scooter motors available around me.

Having just completely stripped down and then rebuilt one of these (S200, air cooled, 163cc) I can tell you that it is actually a very easy process if you go that route. The things you'll need (other than any new parts) are a full gasket set, 2 crank seals ($60, total?), a flywheel puller and starter clutch nut removal tool (another $30?). There's an endless supply of Youtube videos showing how to disassemble and rebuild a GY6 motor.

So I'd first want to know if the engine was viable..if not, sell for parts and move on, swap in a used one or last option, rebuild the one in there, yourself.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 12:28:58 AM »
Thx for the reply IaHawk. You essentially confirmed what I was thinking - that I cant make any decisions until I inspect the engine. I hope to get to that project this upcoming weekend. If anyone is interested in what I discover during my experience along the way, I can document it and post it here. Maybe someone will get some use out of it someday.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 12:48:59 AM by Rickster »
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 12:25:22 PM »
we love pics and finding the cause of problems..it helps everyone in the long run and adds to the collective knowledge!

You'll definitely want to pull your cvt cover to inspect the variator, belt and clutch to make sure that your engine problem wasn't really just a cvt problem.

Please do report back any of your findings.

2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 01:52:05 AM »
Iahawk,
I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about overhauling a GY6 engine, but I dont think I have a GY6 engine. I'm not sure what I have. Here is the info found under the variator. Thoughts?
Thx
Rick
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 01:54:01 AM »
Oh, and yes, I can manually turn the engine over using only my hands.
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 12:38:39 PM »
our Kymcos (at least yours and mine) are not tagged with the generic GY6 engine codes like the Chinese (50cc & 150cc) scoots are. They are, however,  based on the GY6 design with many parts interchangeable with generic GY6 motors. 

Were you able to see anything out of the ordinary on your motor? Did you pull the variator cover and inspect everything there?

Have you also tried to start your engine since your engine 'blew'?
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 02:49:15 PM »
Thanks, Iahawk.
I appreciate the feedback and support. I have not tried to start it since it "blew." What should I be looking for or pay attention to when cranking the engine that might indicate what is wrong with it?  I'm concerned that additional cranking might further damage the engine. Am I wrong about that?

Visually I see nothing wrong anywhere on the engine.

Note that I have only a few minutes per day to work on it, so thanks for your patience.
thx,
Rick
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 08:57:41 PM »
you might want to start with removing the spark plug so you can easily spin over the motor. Feel for anything binding or restricting the movement. You could also remove the valve cover (head cover) and look at the cam, sprocket, chain, valve springs, etc to look for any damage or anything odd.

If everything looks good and feels good you can try to fire it up.

There's really not a whole lot of moving parts in these...your crankshaft rotates and the connecting rod and piston go up and down. The chain driven cam operates the valves up top. You'll have a chain driven oil pump inside and with your liquid cooled motor, some sort of shaft off the engine turning the water pump.

Might be smart to remove the valve cover to inspect, first, before turning the motor over. If all looks good and you don't hear or feel anything funny while turning over by hand, give it a try to start.

I don't recall you saying what happened when the motor died, originally?
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 02:06:12 AM »
While turning the variator by hand, I could hear it drawing in air.

Spark plug pulled, is clean and there is a good strong spark.

Valve cover pulled and everything looks OK to my inexperienced eyes. When turning the variator by hand, the valves lift and close as they should.

Rather than tear the engine apart, I'm first going to test the fuel pump. Process of elimination.

Thanks again for your guidance, Iahawk.
Rick
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 12:25:36 PM »
that would be wonderful if it was simply a fueling issue!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 05:13:13 PM »
Agree if only a fuel pump issue. I'm willing to eat some crow for overreacting. Hopefully my embarrassment will be useful to other readers. I'll let you know the results when I have them.
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Onekneedown

• ride more, talk less
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 04:57:41 AM »
Rebuild it, and enjoy the challenge.  Been there, and still riding that!

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 07:42:29 PM »
Iahawk, another newbie question if I may?  Because I have the valve cover off, I thought I should check and adjust the valve clearance, if needed. Per YouTube videos and per the service manual (see pic), I turn the flywheel until the T mark aligns with the index mark on the left crankcase cover. I swear that there is no T anywhere on that flywheel!!  So, instead, I turn the flywheel until the hole in the gear is TDC. I'm fairly confident that this is the correct position for adjusting the valves, but I'd like some assurance that my assumption is correct?
Thx!
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2022, 08:02:00 PM »
You could be...or your might need to spend engine again to confirm you are on the compression-firing stroke , and not just half way to it!
You should feel a little bit of up and down on the adjusters if you are at TDC. If one or both are tight, you might not be at TDC.
Some use a straw in sparkplug hole to double check piston is topped up.
In short, if you feel NO movement in the adjustment arms....be very careful not to change the adjusters yet! Bring that hole in the sprocket around again....then check for movement.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:05:14 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()