Author Topic: SOLD-TRADED - 2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS  (Read 2169 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 02:40:07 PM »
Oops, sorry Bob. Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 06:21:00 PM »
eBay auction is over at 7pm Tuesday (tomorrow night) and the Cycle Trader listing is over in 6 days. Lots of watchers on both but only a few bidders on the eBay auction. Still not up to the reserve price. So far bidding seems stuck near the dealer trade-in price of the Burgman and not close, yet, to any acceptable sell price.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 09:24:55 PM »
White is THE best color for Burgmans!

Stig

Agreed...Full on storm trooper
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 09:26:24 PM »
Id be amazed if that bike doesn't sell pretty fast
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 11:08:55 PM »
Agreed...Full on storm trooper

We just happened to buy that WHITE Burgman about a month before we bought our WHITE Rav4. Now 2 big things in the garage are WHITE. Our Corolla is red but it's getting old so if the Burgman doesn't sell then we'll just have to replace that one with a WHITE Corolla.

Id be amazed if that bike doesn't sell pretty fast

I with you on that! There are a few bids on the eBay auction but not up to the reserve yet. Only one more day left there.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 01:57:39 PM »
eBay auction ended without a sale. Currently a second chance offer is sent to bidders that expires tonight. And then if no takers it will be available here or on Cycle Trader at the current price as shown in the OP.
/bob

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 02:41:35 PM »
eBay auction ended without a sale. Currently a second chance offer is sent to bidders that expires tonight. And then if no takers it will be available here or on Cycle Trader at the current price as shown in the OP.
Do you think it is because of the mileage?
I don't recall what the life expectancy of that very expensive CVT system is.....after which so many owners sell it off rather than attempting to pay for replacement.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 02:56:55 PM »

SKITE!!! Unbelievable...that really surprises me.

Might be because the snows about to fly up there??

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »
Do you think it is because of the mileage?
I don't recall what the life expectancy of that very expensive CVT system is.....after which so many owners sell it off rather than attempting to pay for replacement.

Stig

I do think it's due to miles. But not because of the CVT maintenance. I think it's due to the stigma so many in the USA have against scooters in general, and there being no adjustment to bigger scooters for how many miles is typical for them. Not that smaller scooter cannot go a great many miles.

And it could also be the season... IOW the end of the riding season for most in the northern tier of states in the USA. I've always felt that Fall is the worst time to try and sell a motorcycle of any style and spring is the best time to sell. But fall is often the best time to buy a motorcycle of any style, especially from a dealer since they want to clear their inventory and not have to store it over Winter while paying insurance on just having it sit in storage. Aside from having it take up space they'd rather use for winter equipment. And so the dilemma. It's just that my wife insists I sell mine first before I can buy another. Even though in the past I would buy in the fall and sell the next spring. So I'm kind of stuck. I either take a bit of loss on selling or pay more next season to buy. But to make it even more complicated if I wait to sell next season my bike would be another year older bringing in a lower price anyway and new bikes will cost more so the spread is even bigger.

I remember thinking a few decades ago that scooters are cheaper and just don't do as many miles as other "proper" motorcycles can do before they wear out. I've since learned that simply is not true at all. I currently have 26720 miles on mine and I think several who might be interested are turned off by that. But when thinking about it in reality that simply works out to right around 3200 miles per year which is really really LOW IMO. If an owner only puts on less than 1000 miles per year I don't consider them a rider but just an *owner*. But that's what many looking for a scooter, especially for the first time, think they want. That's why I've adjusted my pricing to account for that. It's at the very low end of the range. I consider any super scooter the same as any other touring motorcycle as to how many miles can be expected per year.

AS to that CVT maintenance you speak of... Suzuki has been documented as saying the belt in the CVT is a lifetime belt, as in life of the scooter. When pressed how many miles they are thinking someone squeezed out of them that 70,000-75,000 miles is what they really had in mind. Any issues that happen before that are the same as any major issues that happen on any other vehicle before you would expect and the chances of it are very low. Like less than 0.5% for the entire run (all years together) of the Burgman 650. Or about the same as the rate of *new* cancer cases in the USA for ONE year.
/bob

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 08:20:27 PM »
Probably a case of squeaky wheel getting the attention -  Read Burgman forum for a couple of yrs during my ownership - and recall the guys with 650's selling them for parts after the CVT let go. Was a rare guy who'd fix one.

Still think you have the primo color, even if some call it the Lardy. And, yeah - October selling 'cept for Florida of SoCal is an issue.

Good luck!
Stig
*just curious - why you've decided that a Kymco 550 is more desirable to own than is your Burgman 650ABS?
Kymco's previous flag-ships  (the 700's) did not seem to hold their value or interest very well.....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 09:33:15 PM »
That is indeed the case for the Burgman 650 problems. Though I really haven't heard the name "Lardy" applied to the newer version since 2013. It's not svelte by any stretch of the imagination but not as fat as the earlier version, and just a very little bit longer by an inch or two.

I just am ready for something different. I don't usually stay put with one model or another for more than 3-5 years. Actually 5 years might be a stretch for me but I did keep 2 bikes for that long each. Based on all the reviews I've been watching and reading the AK seems to be very well made even compared with any earlier Kymco. I think they may have learned a few things building the BMW C650. And at this time the AK 550 is the best in the class that is available in the USA. Based on my test ride on one it has easily the same performance as my Burgman, though I haven't had opportunity yet to take it out on the Interstate Highways. Several other owner reviews on other forums give it good marks as well. So I decided I would give it a chance for my next ride.
And yes, the Burgman 650 is a great machine.

That pricey maintenance IF the CVT has any issue is rare and it really is a case of the squeaky wheel being heard loudest. The most common models that have any issue are the older models and by the time that issue shows up the repair price is getting close to the value of the scooter so thus the decision to part it out rather than fix. I do know of one person who had the issue with a newer model and he did fix it. It would be the same as having a transmission go out on a car. Newer car = fix it. Older car, especially more than 12-14 years old = part it out or sell for parts and buy something newer.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 09:35:55 PM »
BTW - I also have found that any brand of bike or scooter is criticized most on the forum that specifically caters to that brand. More than on any other forum.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 11:27:51 PM »
It's not svelte by any stretch of the imagination...

It's zaftig...Maybe even more so than the Majesty :D
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 11:40:47 PM »
BTW - I also have found that any brand of bike or scooter is criticized most on the forum that specifically caters to that brand. More than on any other forum.
You might find the modernvespa forum to be a nice change 🙂
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2021, 11:56:27 PM »
It's zaftig...Maybe even more so than the Majesty :D

What's "zaftig" ?

You might find the modernvespa forum to be a nice change 🙂
Stig

That really wasn't an all inclusive statement. There are always exceptions. I've heard that even BMW forums are better about talking UP their brand rather well. Though I wouldn't want to be saddled with the costs for simple maintenance, or any maintenance on a BMW. Even though I do my own maintenance for the most part I know someone with a BMW who put off fixing his ABS system due to just parts cost being prohibitive. And he does his own maintenance also.
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()