Author Topic: Time for new tires?  (Read 2166 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
Re: Time for new tires?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 07:51:28 PM »
@aschrauth,
as Stig says, if you have the chance, put (let put) those 90 degrees valve stems in your rims, makes filling air and pressure checks on this small tires much easier.
Already planned!! New valves arrive today. I got 90 degree valves from Amazon plus some tirespoons and rim guards.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQT4VDP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_0F7NBBANKM6SK0GF31HB
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 11:15:10 PM »
Ok everybody I ended up changing both tires and let me tell you the riding quality is night and day but MAN were they hard to install. I used rim guards and tire spoons for both tires but somehow managed to end up marring the Paint lightly  on both wheels. Hardest part for me was actually getting the tire off of the rim without scuffing it. I got the bead to seat perfectly on the front tire but the rear one took some work, It wouldn't seat so I used a hairdryer to heat the bead up and used some Vaseline around the lip. With the valve core removed I attempted to air up the tire and the bead eventually set. In addition, I got a face full of Vaseline when the bead popped :P. I wasn't expecting the tire spoons to Marr the surface of the rim so I Decided to Plastidip both rims Black. Overall Make sure to wear gloves! I didn't wear them and I wish I would have, I tore up the skin on my hands so bad it hurts to even type. IMHO its worth it to have a shop do it but I enjoy a good challenge once in awhile.

I started at 12:00 on 4/3 and didn't get done until around 9:30. Weather was pleasant at 74 degrees. This was my second attempt at changing tires and the experience was just as I suspected.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 12:18:15 AM »
Thanks for your post here!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »
@aschrauth,
 " chapeau" to your achievement. I have to admit I'm not a sissy if it comes to experimental work, but doing tires (especially those small old tough ones) just like that, I would chicken out and give it to a shop.
Again, congrats!
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2021, 05:07:35 AM »
Congrats on going through with it. Must admit, I quit on my first tire change on the Agility when I couldn't get the bead set. The local shop was kind enough to blast set it for free. Ive done enough tire changes now that Ive found a fairly quick system that works for me.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Mezo

• View Profile
    • "The Ténéré Forum"
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 01:00:02 AM »
The OEM tires are dangerous IMO.

I swear by Michelin City Grips...

I was going to start a new topic but i have my answers, iv`e nearly come a cropper three or four times on this 'new to me' scooter, the front end just wants to tuck in & only because of my quick reactions have i managed to save it, the OEM rubber is utter crap.

So i read up on the Michelin City Grip & nothing but rave reviews, so thanks everyone.

Mezo.
"A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion"

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 11:45:11 AM »
Talking about challenges,
since I have some spare tires, which are run down and have to be replaced anyway, I tried a (for me) new method to get them off its rim.

-choice of weapons were,..
my workshop vice
my workshop kneeling board

To get this tough old rubber off its rim, it was pinched into my vice pretty hard.
But make sure the vice-grips are not biting into your rim, they just lurking for. It let go eventually..

And, of course this rubber does not have the tendency to leave both of its beads voluntarely, you have to apply brutal step two.
Using the board and all your bodies weight..

YES, it leaves its seat hesitantely.
Taking off requires some tyre-irons and brute force but also some consideration to keep your brims unharmed. I used some thick leather between rim and lever. Went without splitted teeth, broken eyeglasses and swearing.
Having it off, made a brake-discs service and rim polishing easy.
Have a nice Sunday from Italy.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 01:48:32 PM »
impressive work to all of you who are changing your own tires...looks like a brutal job!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »
Already planned!! New valves arrive today. I got 90 degree valves from Amazon plus some tirespoons and rim guards.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQT4VDP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_0F7NBBANKM6SK0GF31HB

How did this go? With a few tire changes behind me I'm not able to effectively use the rim guards so the rims get torn up.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2021, 03:15:25 PM »
impressive work to all of you who are changing your own tires...looks like a brutal job!
Many years ago (make that decades) I changed the tire on my dirt bike and put on  a new knobby rear tire and swore it would be the last tire I ever changed. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2021, 07:34:17 PM »
Lots of kitchen soap, really long, for grown ones, tyre irons and thick leather pieces between rim and iron. Tyre has to be completely off all two beads, does the trick.

Mezo

• View Profile
    • "The Ténéré Forum"
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 06:22:01 AM »

I thought it was going to be but it wasn't that bad, had a mate (ex tyre fitter) help me out with just a couple of my tyre spoons & some soapy water, did manage to scratch some paint of the edge of the rim but i`m not bothered about that, its an easy fix with an aerosol/rattle can of black.  :D

Went with Michelin City Grip 2`s & what a difference from them crappy (Chinese made) OEM tyres, i can now lean the bike over with confidence.

Mezo.

"A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion"

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 09:47:11 AM »
I do so love a happy ending!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2021, 04:05:25 AM »
How did this go? With a few tire changes behind me I'm not able to effectively use the rim guards so the rims get torn up.
[/quota

It was a pai but I got it finished, as of today tires are wearing evenly and constantly holding pressure.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()