Author Topic: Turns over but won't start  (Read 4179 times)

bonemouth

• View Profile
Re: Turns over but won't start
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2021, 01:52:30 AM »
Guessing that with the air intake tube connected and the air filter sealed up in its box....the hollow sound will be gone when it cranks.
A pulse from the tail pipe might indicate that nothing has taken up residence in the muffler these past 5 years.
Stig
Good points! I'll try that this weekend. I don't see any manifold or intake tube damage. The only thing strange there is that the tube is very tacky feeling.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »
@bonemouth,
don't worry too much about the airfilter and inlet tube.
Scoot would run even without anything on it's throttle body. Had my air intake system completely off and did a testride after changing startermotors o-ring, and went fine. Little bit more "snoring" noise, that's all. No failure code, nothing.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2021, 05:24:18 PM »
Agree, attaching the breather tube from the aircleaner box isn't going to make your 5-year-dead scooter come alive - but it will get rid of that noise, most likely.

First - I'd get a d__n good battery.
If I had a weak spark I'd check the plug and coil and all their wiring and connections and battery ground connection.
If I had a dribbling, not spraying, injector I'd look at cleaning the injector, buying good used injector, and/or check the output of the fuel pump.
If I had some compression, but not a "hurts the finger" compression - I might suspect that some previous person has screwed up the valve lash settings....because you do not have enough miles to have a ruined engine....so I'd check the valves for proper gapping.

If have have a properly spraying injector giving fuel in the cylinder chamber, a strong sparking & properly gapped CR7HSA NGK spark plug, compression...and still no starting....What would I do?

I'd buy the cyclepedia service manual for the LIKE200i and start a service ticket with their technicians.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bonemouth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2021, 03:30:34 AM »
OK, so there's a second scooter with 800 on the odometer. I didn't mention it before because the fuel pump had been scavenged from it, so I was trying to get the higher-mileage one going.

I'm not getting anywhere with the one we've been talking about, so I swapped pumps to the second one. Even with a good, brand new battery, it's slow to turn over at first. It throws codes 6 and 12. Also, the fuel pump that ran fine in the first scooter won't activate at all in the second. Would having unplugged the brake lights affect anything? (I kept the cowling off since I swapped fuel tanks.)

According to the service manual, code 6 is a "P0560 Battery voltage malfunction," and code 12 is a "P0230 Fuel Pump circuit malfunction."

I feel more hopeful about this one, because it doesn't make that hollow knocking sound you can hear in my video. Any ideas on what I could do with it? I really appreciate all the great ideas from everyone so far.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2021, 11:04:29 AM »
@bonemouth,
first of all, good to have an identical scoot close by to swap items. Check each piece for functionality BEFORE you swap it into #2.
In my case I had the rear fairing completely off and the scoot started like always. But as I wrote, I do have a EU model WITHOUT kill switch. Might be lightly different from yours.
-please check all electrical connections again
-get jump start cables from your car to scoots batt, don't start the car (your scoot batt is small and part empty again)
-check spark, injector spraying
-no spark, check cabling and inition coil
-no spraying, injector off, does pump deliver fuel until there?
-pump out of fuel tank again and check
-check with a multimeter whether your brake light  comes on, at least the one lever switch which you use to start
-go systematically through all steps
-if possible write it down and hook off what you did.
There will be success.
Let us know.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()