Author Topic: Cold engine backfiring on deceleration  (Read 10112 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Cold engine backfiring on deceleration
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 02:56:19 AM »
Is this on the Super 8 or every other scooter?

Yes, there is on the Super 8. It's part of the scoot's emission system which includes the catalytic converter inside the muffler. . Causes backfire when there's a leak. Burns not smog but unburned fuel which makes the scoot Euro III (I think) compliant. Some owners I know just plug this or put a rubber hose and plug with a small marble.

teoteo

• Laughter is the Best Medicine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 07:08:43 AM »
Hi all, I'm new here and I've got a Super 8 125 that backfires in the exhaust during deceleration especially from higher speeds (say,70-90kmh). They are really loud POPS, like gunshots and its scaring the hell out of my wife(and me too!!!),who rides piliion with me in the mornings to work. I've notice that it happens during sudden roll-off deceleration from speed. If I roll-off the throttle gently,it does not happen, so I've had to change the way I throttle off (gently) to avoid the "gunshots" but not when I need to panic brake.... My scoot is almost 3 yrs old now and has only done about 19900km (mostly to and from work, about 28km per day). I live in a tropical & humid country with lotsa traffic. I have recently checked & adjusted the valve clearances to 0.004 for both valves and removed the carb.to clean it with carb. spray (removed both the jets but did not remove the fuel mixture screw...). It hasn't been performing like it used to since a couple of months back(poor pick-up and hesitation while reapplying throttle at speed...),which prompted me to check the valves & clean the carb.in the first place, but now its the backfiring tat's giving me a headache. I've been tinkering with the fuel mixture screw (screwing it in and out,.BTW,which way enriches the mixture? In or out?)without much help.Went back to the scooter shop & the mech.told me its the secondary air injection unit that's causing the backfiring & tat I should remove it. Is he right? Should I let him do it or can I do it myself or is it something else instead?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »
Went back to the scooter shop & the mech.told me its the secondary air injection unit that's causing the backfiring & tat I should remove it. Is he right? Should I let him do it or can I do it myself or is it something else instead?

Just have it plugged, then see if the backfire disappears.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:16 AM »
To enrichen the idle turn the screw counter clockwise. Try what Vivo suggests, and pull the carb cap to check the Diaphragm for swelling/holes.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

teoteo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
Thanks guys, will try plugging the unit myself and also check if the diaphragm's OK. Will keep U all posted. Cheers!!

teoteo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 05:29:32 AM »
Hi guys, I have removed the metal cap above the carb. and a spring popped out. Beneath it is a thin round rubbery shroud attached to a short plastic cylinder. Under this cylinder is a needle which fits into a small recessed hole (think it leads to the float bowl or somewhere...in the carb.body). The rubber shroud still looked OK. There were no holes in it. Sprayed silicon all over it and reinstalled it. Guess tat would keep it soft and tender I hope...  The additional air injection pump (a small black tennis ball-sized thing...) has 3 rubber hoses sprouting out of it. Two of the hoses are fat ones while one is skinny. One of the fat hoses is connected to the cam-cover, the other fat hose is open-ended (for fresh air intake?) and the skinny one...well I can't quite see where that one leads to but it appears to go in the direction of the carb,or block..... Ehh, which hose should I be plugging?  ??? The fresh air intake hose? Thank U

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 06:07:27 AM »
1. Plug the one on the block (cam cover).

2. Plug the hose going to the manifold. Use a metal ball or marble.

teoteo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 01:34:48 AM »
Thanks Vivo and the rest of U guys for the advice. I have blocked the fat hose going into the top of the cam-cover and the thin one going into the intake manifold and the backfiring from the exhaust stopped. No more 'gunshots' heard,not even small farts. One question, will the sys. (exhaust muffler,etc) clog up over time with the air pump dismantle or will it possibly cause the engine to fail?
Thanks again!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 01:40:50 AM »
No. But unplug the fat hose on top of the cam cover. The scoot needs that on to vent the crank case. Just run a new hose from that nipple to the bottom of the engine near the center stand.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 02:00:36 AM »
No. But unplug the fat hose on top of the cam cover. The scoot needs that on to vent the crank case. Just run a new hose from that nipple to the bottom of the engine near the center stand.

;)

teoteo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »
Okie Dokie,thank U very much guys!! Cheerio!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()