Author Topic: New Super 8 150 NEED UPGRADE OPTIONS!  (Read 6723 times)

kevmax

• View Profile
New Super 8 150 NEED UPGRADE OPTIONS!
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »
I got a new Red/White 2012 Kymco Super 8 150!  Thus far, I love it.  It's my first new vehicle ever, and I'm 32.
I am looking to do some DIY upgrades that you all have had success with.
Has anyone upgraded the lights to LED's?  Any recommendations for riding apparel?

Thanks!

-Kevin

DoubleSC

• View Profile
Re: New Super 8 150 NEED UPGRADE OPTIONS!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05:30 AM »
Got the same model/color, and changed out the lights to LEDs.

I've installed all LEDs since I'm intending to eventually bypass the light controller box (LCB) to keep the headlights on all the time, but didn't want to overload the electrical system at idle.  The function of the LCB is to dim the headlights to reduce the electrical load when the engine is at idle (and not outputting enough electrical power for the entire system). However for my scooter, it dims the lights at speeds as high as 25~30mph - Kymco checked it out, and claims it's "normal".

Anyway, I've finally changed all the lights to LEDs, and it works well. Plan on:

1) A bit of time (and cursing) to get at the tail/brake light bulb.  It doesn't come apart where you think it would.  You need to remove the seat bucket, luggage rack, and peel apart the side/top panels in order to get access to the tail light bulb.  And even then, you'll need someone with longer fingers to get to the socket and twist it for removal.

2) Turn signal bulbs are easy to replace with LEDs.

3) You'll need to remove the console back to replace the stock turn signal flasher with an LED-approved flasher from a motorcycle store.    The stock flasher unit relies on the bulbs to be standard type (and even then, they hyper flash).

4) While you've got the console open, you can also change out the lights on the instrument panel to LED type if you like.  As a side effect, it makes the dash light up a bit whiter and easier to read at a glance.

DSC

Wally Wildfire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »
Hey doubleSc could u tell us the bulb name, number and where u got it from? That would be cool and would love to see pics!
Thanks..
What kind of bike you have? A Miyagi Turbo actually...

kevmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:08:24 AM »
Thanks DSC,

That is going to be an undertaking, but I plan on doing it in stages.  I want to get LEDs in the EU turn signal ports.  I plan on splicing off the US turn signals and having them both 'flash'.   I can see what you are saying about more tear-down than meets the eye, but its worth it.

I can't wait to get a better spark plug, synthetic oil, kevlar belt...?  to boost the efficiency.

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »
Hey doubleSc could u tell us the bulb name, number and where u got it from? That would be cool and would love to see pics!
Thanks..

The tail/brake and the turn signal lights were bought from superbrightleds.com:

1 | 1157-x45-T: 45HP-LED BAY15D Tower Bulb  |  $ 24.95 |
        1157-R45-T: 1157 Red
------------------------------------------------------------
  4 | BAU15S-x18-T: 18HP-LED 1056 LED Tower bulb|  $ 17.95 |
        BAU15S-A18-T: Amber

I think the instrument panel lights were generic #74 white LEDs from e-bay (tons of sellers).

I installed the turn signals in the US stalks as I didn't have any sockets to place them into the original (Euro?) locations.  Actually, even if I did, not sure I'd have put those installed the lights in the original locations -  getting the tail light assembly removed looks like it would be a real pain.

Also note that the original locations don't even have holes ready to accept any socket receptables.

Will take a couple pics when I get a chance though.

Cheers,

DSC

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
Wow! A headache for sure!
How are side panels removed?
Later
bilyum

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 02:08:52 AM »
Hey Kevmax,

Congrats on the new buy man!

I have an '09 blue and yellow Super 8 and love it.

I removed the license plate holder and all that junk hanging off the back over the rear hugger. I just drilled a little hole in the top center of my plate and bolted it right to the spot that hangar was attached to. the tail light now lights the license plate plenty, and I've never been hassled for it after riding it that way for almost a year now, and regularly at night.

That was free - this was not...

I did the Kevlar belt along with a Naraku High Speed variator and 2000 rpm clutch spring. That made a pretty big difference to me.

Most recently I replaced the stock carb and airbox with a Keihin carb and UNI air filter. still dialing in the right balance of performance and cold starting ability, but I love the new sound of the open air element.

right now she regularly does 73-76 indicated mph with my 240 lb ass on her back.   :D

Good luck and have fun!

--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 04:20:33 AM »
DoubleSC
1) A bit of time (and cursing) to get at the tail/brake light bulb.  It doesn't come apart where you think it would.  You need to remove the seat bucket, luggage rack, and peel apart the side/top panels in order to get access to the tail light bulb.  And even then, you'll need someone with longer fingers to get to the socket and twist it for removal.
Do you remember how the side panels were removed? Were they clipped on or screwed on? I looked at tail light and saw screws at a very difficult place to get to.I noticed the key lock on one side.
Thanks
Later
bilyum

dudley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »
Kevin,
How much did that clutch spring bump your rpms?
I like the idea of that but some guys are claiming it will raise rpms too much.(Chinese scooter forum)

Maybe too much for Chinese but not for kymco.
I Trust your actual experience over the guesses from guys working on lesser quality scoots.

Haul ass man,
Dudley
2010 super 8 150  red/black
bought march 2011
4000 miles march 2012
dr pulley variator w/stock weights
top speed 61.5mph  gps verified

kevmax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks Guys.  I ordered the Kevlar belt, that's about all I can afford right now.  The UNI air filter should be my next adventure with my bike.  I do think that it needs to breath better first.

REPLY In REGARDS TO:
"Kevlar belt along with a Naraku High Speed variator and 2000 rpm clutch spring. That made a pretty big difference to me.

Most recently I replaced the stock carb and airbox with a Keihin carb and UNI air filter. still dialing in the right balance of performance and cold starting ability, but I love the new sound of the open air element."

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
Hey Dudley and Kevmax,

Sorry for the delayed response. I popped a disc in my back and was off the scoot (and everything else for that matter) for a couple of weeks.

I got that new carb dialed in, and man is it awesome. I also did the stator/pickup coil with a NGK spark plug. That cleared up my cold start issue like a dream. Keeping in mind I have over 10k miles on her now...   :D

Dudley, no worries on that 2k rpm clutch spring for this scoot. These aren't cheap Chinese scooters - they're Kymco's!  ;)

Kevmax, if you do the UNI, you'll lhave to address the carb issue at the same time. just openning up the air intake will choke out the carb and if you can even get it to run, it'll be dangerously lean... If you do the UNI, I think most people recommend at least a two size increase in your main jet to get enough gas in there to burn up all that air in the right ratio.

Incidently, now that I've gotten her pretty much perfect for me, Im looking into selling her. I may be getting a new job that will bump my 60 mile per day commute up to 100 miles a day. I just don't have enough time to ride surface streets for 100 miles a day. Wish I did, because I love riding this thing!!!

Thanks!
--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »
I got a new Red/White 2012 Kymco Super 8 150!  Thus far, I love it.  It's my first new vehicle ever, and I'm 32.
I am looking to do some DIY upgrades that you all have had success with.
Has anyone upgraded the lights to LED's?  Any recommendations for riding apparel?

Thanks!

-Kevin

What did you pay for it?  I am about to buy one
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

SlowToFret

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
I bought a 2012 in September last year and paid MSRP ($2400).  With tax, title, freight (and what other junk there may be), ended up just over $2800.  I am an old fart but it it my first scooter and have enjoyed it very much so far.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
The original post also asked about apparel... so far I use a Joe Rocket jacket... bright yellow.  If I ever lose it, I just turn off the lights to find it ;)  It keeps me warm in my scrubs in 40 degree weather trip home at midnight. I do wear a sweater under it though.  It has a zip out liner for when the weather gets warmer too... its says its water proof but I really hope I don't find out the truth of that.  I found it at a Yamaha dealership since I bought my scooter at a local scooter shop (emphasis on shop) who didn't carry clothes. Joe Rocket seems to be widely available and reasonably priced... but its my first motorcycle jacket so I can't really compare either.  If someone with experience knows better or differently, I would be interested to hear it.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
Another piece of apparel I found important... Gloves.  I have two sets now and I can compare.  My first pair are lightweight, allows my fingers to breath and cost about $20.  Made from mostly nylon (an open weave ballistic nylon) and they work great on warm days.  I found them severely lacking on the colder nights however.  So I used my experience in ski apparel and looked for what I know... Thinsulate and Gortex.  I could find leather gloves at various shops but I couldn't find really good gloves for cold weather.  I finally stopped at a Harley shop and found what I needed.  I spent a bit more on gloves than I really wanted, just over $100, but I don't have one complaint.  They breath even on warm nights when I have misjudged the countryside air.  The temperatures have ranged from the low 40's to the high 70's here in California in just two weeks.  I found the more expensive pair to be extremely comfortable in warm and cold since they breath so easily (the wonders of Gortex) and the ability to not get too warm.  In essence... if you are looking for cheap, it amounts to about the same thing as not wearing it... my cheap gloves are absolutely great on warm days when I don't even feel the need to wear gloves but the money I spent on good gloves could not have been spent better.
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()