Author Topic: Kymco AK 550 - Now Available in USA...  (Read 2953 times)

LousyTech

• View Profile
Re: Kymco AK 550 - Now Available in USA...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 06:24:08 AM »
Probably why Lousy Tech resigned: management would not listen!

One would think, that marketing and research, would guide one to the conclusion of "what services and products" to provide.

No, KYMCO USA does not listen.

Hey heck, what do I know? I am just a disgruntled ex-employee. Anything I say is just a goulash of bias negativity  ;D...........
#fakenews
#fakenews
#fakenews

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:26:50 AM by LousyTech »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 01:33:09 PM »
A few things said here which I would like to respond to. First, what Kymco USA has done is release info on a few early release models for 2021. These models are a bit early because Kymco inventory both at Kymco USA and the dealer levels are low. The other models, like 150, 200, the 300 and or 400, will likely be released later. Why? Inventories are still plentiful at dealers and KUS. To think that KUS would discontinue models such as the like 150/200, the most popular models, is silly. The like 200 may not return as the like 150 is more popular.
Mr.Lousy Tech is well, absolutely disgruntled. The fact that I nor over 25 other KUS former employees don’t know him shows that he was not there that long. He also said his goal was not to throw KUS under the bus but he did just that. To let the cat out of the bag, most of you probably figured it out already, I was a DSM, District Sales Manager for KUS, for Ca & NV, for 7 1/2 years.I have been in the motorcycle industry since 1980. I currently work at a Kymco dealership which I set up as a dealer when I was at KUS.
Comments about KUS not supplying proper technical training is debatable. KUS developed, along with cyclepedia, a extremely extensive tech training program. Whether techs took/take advantage of it is up to them. Its free to the tech and there are incentives for the dealer if they have techs that completed the courses. Another comment about warranty work was made, dealers basically pay techs 3 ways, either by standard hourly, hourly plus commission or straight commission. Warranty flat rate times paid by the OEM, no matter who the OEM is, are slim. An hourly tech doesn’t care how long he takes, he’s paid no matter (until he’s fired for lack of production), an hourly plus commission tech will get paid to be there, likely min wage, but will get a portion of the hourly rate, very lucrative if you produce.straight commission is for the rockstars that consistently Bill 40 plus hours a week with no come-backs. These techs can beat flat rate 90% of the time. With regard to the AK, KUS will likely bring in, no more that 500 units for the USA for the first year. They will likely sell through at the 8999.00 price, fairly reasonable considering the technology within.
In the past, a lot of the models came to the USA with much input by the sales and technical staff at KUS. Several models that Kymco produced in other markets were offered to KUS.
 Some were accepted like the KPipe along with specific color choices for the USA market. The Spade was specifically built with the US in mind. Input from the US was a factor in bringing the Like 150 to fruition.
I could go on but it’s late and you are likely bored by now.
Cjs
Me bored? Not a chance! When I inquired a couple of years ago* about tech training, I was told Kymco US did NOT have a tech traing program for any dealer techs nor anyone else BECAUSE the dealers, by and large, had multiple brands with plenty of tech savy co be able to cope with the simpler Kymco systems. That may have been bad information or old info, I have no idea. *I am very vague on how many is a "couple of years!"
The dealer commitment to honoring warranty is dismal in most cases as many posts here and facebook reveal.
I would like to add that Regional Sales Reps/District Sales Managers (or whatever term adequately describes the official Kymco employee responsible for a particular geographic area of the country and/or a specific list of dealers) have been extremely valuable in my crusade to force reluctant dealers into honoring the two year warranty. Most of the skirmishes have been east of the Rockies and none in the California/Nevada territories. The thing that sparked my crusade was personal. It was avsimple mistake and could have been rectified at dealer level had the dealer been honorable. The set-up guy sorta forgot to install the battery clamp in my brand-new 2009 Yager 200i which I did not discover until some weeks later when the tach went nuts and the engine was surging. Loose battery cable! Now what could have caused that? No battery clamp! Dealer unresponsive. Called Kymco USA after all messages went unanswered. The nice lady on the phone got what she called the Regional Sales Rep involved and pretty soon the dealer sent the correct clamp and four incorrect screws. This was after I provided the dealer with the part numbers he sent four sheet metal screws instead of four M4's with captive washers. Then there was our Stig with his dealer. Then there was the guy in Denver with a People GTi300 that his problem required a new wiring harness that the dealer was going to charge him parts and labor because the warranty did not cover that! He actually finally got proper warranty after the Kymco guy for Denver got involved and it did not require a wiring harness! So, you must be able to see, that I have a reason to be skeptical of dealers and their techs. Then we have the "answering service" scheme at Spartanburg a couple of years back that put a stop to my crusade. Now, I became skeptical of Kymco USA. Then, later, big changes in key upper
 people at the head shed.
Now, comes Lousy Tech. Puts out a pretty good spiel describing trouble right in River City. Based on flimsy evidence, I determine he is being realistic and has the same motivation as I. I know I am not a fraud and have evidence to prove that. His evidence is verified by glassdoor reviews he referenced.
I think there is more but time will tell. I am a loyal Kymco owner/operator. I will probably not buy a different model because I am happy with the DT300i. I want to help anyone on this forum anybway I can and there are others as well, most better qualified!
It will be interesting how all this plays out. I can't wait for the next episode!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:26:00 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

LousyTech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 04:33:50 PM »
A few things said here which I would like to respond to. First, what Kymco USA has done is release info on a few early release models for 2021. These models are a bit early because Kymco inventory both at Kymco USA and the dealer levels are low. The other models, like 150, 200, the 300 and or 400, will likely be released later. Why? Inventories are still plentiful at dealers and KUS. To think that KUS would discontinue models such as the like 150/200, the most popular models, is silly. The like 200 may not return as the like 150 is more popular.
Mr.Lousy Tech is well, absolutely disgruntled. The fact that I nor over 25 other KUS former employees don’t know him shows that he was not there that long. He also said his goal was not to throw KUS under the bus but he did just that. To let the cat out of the bag, most of you probably figured it out already, I was a DSM, District Sales Manager for KUS, for Ca & NV, for 7 1/2 years.I have been in the motorcycle industry since 1980. I currently work at a Kymco dealership which I set up as a dealer when I was at KUS.
Comments about KUS not supplying proper technical training is debatable. KUS developed, along with cyclepedia, a extremely extensive tech training program. Whether techs took/take advantage of it is up to them. Its free to the tech and there are incentives for the dealer if they have techs that completed the courses. Another comment about warranty work was made, dealers basically pay techs 3 ways, either by standard hourly, hourly plus commission or straight commission. Warranty flat rate times paid by the OEM, no matter who the OEM is, are slim. An hourly tech doesn’t care how long he takes, he’s paid no matter (until he’s fired for lack of production), an hourly plus commission tech will get paid to be there, likely min wage, but will get a portion of the hourly rate, very lucrative if you produce.straight commission is for the rockstars that consistently Bill 40 plus hours a week with no come-backs. These techs can beat flat rate 90% of the time. With regard to the AK, KUS will likely bring in, no more that 500 units for the USA for the first year. They will likely sell through at the 8999.00 price, fairly reasonable considering the technology within.
In the past, a lot of the models came to the USA with much input by the sales and technical staff at KUS. Several models that Kymco produced in other markets were offered to KUS.
 Some were accepted like the KPipe along with specific color choices for the USA market. The Spade was specifically built with the US in mind. Input from the US was a factor in bringing the Like 150 to fruition.
I could go on but it’s late and you are likely bored by now.
Cjs

Of course you would take my not so stellar comments to heart because you, yourself, are a KYMCO dealer. What is sad however, is that you would easily dismiss my comments.

No I was not there long. I was there TOO long.

that being said, souzamoto, I am not here to debate with you sir.

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
Of course you would take my not so stellar comments to heart because you, yourself, are a KYMCO dealer. What is sad however, is that you would easily dismiss my comments.

No I was not there long. I was there TOO long.

that being said, souzamoto, I am not here to debate with you sir.

I not only work at a Kymco dealership and am the Kymco Line Manager, I was a DSM at KUS for 7.5 years. I set up this company, and many others in my area,  as a dealer when I was the DSM for CA & NV. Guess you missed that part. I'm on this forum because I like to help people with issues they have and to try to dispel false rumors and comments which may lead people in the wrong direction. I know exactly the situation you went through, I resigned also along with many others. You know nothing about the company prior to current management. I know what we did and how well we did it. We are all disappointed that we had to leave but are very proud of what we did.  That said, we don't go around airing our dirty laundry in a public forum like this, it is unprofessional. You can continue to do what you do but I think everyone here knows your story. Good luck in your future endeavors.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:03:55 PM by souzamoto »

LousyTech

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 05:59:17 PM »
I not only work at a Kymco dealership and am the Kymco Line Manager, I was a DSM at KUS for 7.5 years. I set up this company, and many others in my area,  as a dealer when I was the DSM for CA & NV. Guess you missed that part. I'm on this forum because I like to help people with issues they have and to try to dispel false rumors and comments which may lead people in the wrong direction. I know exactly the situation you went through, I resigned also along with many others. You know nothing about the company prior to current management. I know what we did and how well we did it. We are all disappointed that we had to leave but are very proud of what we did.  That said, we don't go around airing our dirty laundry in a public forum like this, it is unprofessional. You can continue to do what you do but I think everyone here knows your story. Good luck in your future endeavors.

It is all a matter of opinion.
Sadly, it is always deemed unprofessional when someone shares a bad experience against a former spouse or employer.

However, I salute you and you are correct.
I do not know how the company operated when you were there but I can assure you, it wasn't being destroyed by someone who screams "I have a MBA and I am so smart".
You may have a different prospective on the topic because you came from the herd and can maneuver with kymco on a different level .
Others, not so much.

Too many great people come have come and prostrated themselves to exhaustion.
It happens on my side of the business as well, but the turnover rate is single digited.
This simply can not be ignored.

I yield.
Have a good one souzamoto.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
Wasn't destroyed by someone with an MBA that said I'm so smart? You mean it was destroyed by some thing/one else?!! That means I was wr...wrrr...wr..(picture Fonzie here trying to say...) ..WRONG? But, but...oh, the humanity!

I know there were good guys like DSM's who assisted once they were aware of a problem. That nice lady, Linda, I think that answered the phone BAS (Before Answering Service) who knew EVERYONE, WHERE they were, WHAT they did, HOW to link with them and who knows what else she did to make things run smoothly.

The current pool of diagnostic talent is on this forum, like you two, Sousamoto and Lousy Tech, just to name two. THIS is the place to come for help outside of the very few good dealers and techs that exist.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 12:32:04 AM »
Agreed. Interesting scooter.
This new big Kymco is getting a lot of attention on scooter forums.
Especially with the retirement of the big Burgman 650.

We'll look forward to the many reviews of this Kymco in this country, mostly favorable - we hope.
Until then....
Stig
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:42:06 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()