Author Topic: Conundrum  (Read 334 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Conundrum
« on: September 26, 2020, 07:27:52 PM »
I’ve noticed many people on this thread who
1. Bemoan the fact that scooter dealerships are closing.
2. Advise other riders to AVOID using the dealership for maintenance or non warranty repairs.
3. Complain that dealerships overcharge for work. (I’m not speaking of those who don’t make correct repairs. They deserve our scorn)

Just a few thoughts to consider.
1.Everyone wants to make a living and feed their families. And their job is usually their primary means of doing that. They MAY simply be trying to stay above water like the rest of us.

2. I don’t know how it is in the scooter/cycle industry. In the car industry nearly half of the gross profit now comes from service and parts. So, they NEED the money from service and parts to keep the doors open.

I’m not trying to convince a person to spend money they don’t have or to pay for work they could do themselves. But keep in mind that it’s impossible for the sales alone to keep the doors open.
As for the dealership, yes they should show APPRECIATION to the customers who spend their hard earned money by offering Accurate repairs and convenient service. And they should not try to make all their money from one Customer.
But as for us, we shouldn’t be surprised when a dealership closes when we never patronize them unless we 100% can’t avoid it.

Again, Just a few thoughts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:15:09 PM »
After 65 years of riding, over 1.5 million miles and now over 75 new bikes/scooters---I believe in supporting dealers and try to buy from them when I can.  Often mail order/ebay sucks.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »
Forbes is right...if we don't support our dealerships they will close.. While I bought both of my bikes used (privately) I do try to at least buy most of my parts from the dealer. I've had them install tires and even bought a jacket there.

They are very friendly and always say hello in the dealership. I hope to one day buy a new bike from them.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 08:33:49 PM »
Local dealer is Changing  the tires on half dozen scooters/motorcycles  in the next couple of weeks plus doing some warranty work on another. I'm doing my part plus the owners are friends of mine. Actually this year is not a chance of them going under, they had a record year in sales and service work.

On the other hand some dealers are less then responsive to the customers needs or do poor quality work in service. I have no sympathy for them they've done it to themselves.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:21:20 PM »
Forbes, you make some very valid points. And you know from past experience that I am really intolerant of marginal dealers and techs. I recently had a leaky head gasket on a Chevy Spark. Well within warranty was told the head gasket was not leaking inspite of an oil and coolant wet line on the visible forward portion of the joint. I dumped the car back on the dealer since they refused to honor the warranty. This was the GM side of a GM-KIA dealer. You have already heard or read my spiels on scooter dealers.

Many of the problems that have surfaced here and elsewhere with Kymco scoots are intermittent.  These, as well you know, are EXTREMELY difficult to isolate and are fortune sponges for a dealer to find. This is the prime area an owner needs to either hand the tech his bankbook or put on his own coveralls.

I don't want any dealer to disappear except the really crummy ones but riders and dealers need not lose touch with reality. The customer needs help and the customer needs to make coherant input so the techs can fix it. None of this even gets close to some of the crimes against techs perpetrated by dealer owners/bosses/managers.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 10:45:21 PM »
Forbes, you make some very valid points. And you know from past experience that I am really intolerant of marginal dealers and techs. I recently had a leaky head gasket on a Chevy Spark. Well within warranty was told the head gasket was not leaking inspite of an oil and coolant wet line on the visible forward portion of the joint. I dumped the car back on the dealer since they refused to honor the warranty. This was the GM side of a GM-KIA dealer. You have already heard or read my spiels on scooter dealers.

Many of the problems that have surfaced here and elsewhere with Kymco scoots are intermittent.  These, as well you know, are EXTREMELY difficult to isolate and are fortune sponges for a dealer to find. This is the prime area an owner needs to either hand the tech his bankbook or put on his own coveralls.

I don't want any dealer to disappear except the really crummy ones but riders and dealers need not lose touch with reality. The customer needs help and the customer needs to make coherant input so the techs can fix it. None of this even gets close to some of the crimes against techs perpetrated by dealer owners/bosses/managers.
I’ve been a witness to pretty much all sides . As an independent working with my father, I’ve benefited from the fact that we were less expensive than the dealership AND the fact that many dealers didn’t want to (or couldn’t) fix their older products. I’ve also prided myself in fixing a problem the dealership couldn’t or being able to find a less expensive solution that the customer was happy with.

As a dealership employee, I’ve witnessed the SAME customers who cried broke , questioned my integrity, begged for a discount, a payment plan, or a patch job to tide them over , while I was the sole proprietor of a struggling independent business, come to the dealership and pay FULL PRICE with barely a whimper. But they told the service writer that they wanted ME to work on their car because they knew I’d do a good job.

I’ve also realized that it’s not the “dealership “ that does the repairs, it’s the TECH that works for the dealership.  SOME are excellent, some are mediocre, and some shouldn’t even open the hood.

Sometimes the service writers do NOT translate the problem to us correctly. And they may simply make it up if we ask for more details. Example:  tech : was he talking about a squeak or rattle. I see you simply said noise ? Does he have to drive it over bumps or not? 

Service writer. : A rattle. And it happens all the time.

After 2 hours of chasing a ghost I happen to see the customer and ask him and he says : “Oh, it’s a squeak that only happens after it’s sat up  all night. And it happens when I make a right turn out of my driveway. So you may have to let it sit a while and hit a bump when you turn . My driveway is bumpy”

Hint: ask to talk to the person who will be working on your car or scooter.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 10:51:30 PM »

A TRUE story. We had a customer who had a VERY INTERMITTENT issue. He asked if I could ride with him. Service manager said yes. We rode for probably 30 minutes or more . And the problem didn’t happen. On the way back, the customer said. Well, I’m sorry it didn’t act up. But I’m sure you wanted to get away from the job for a while. at least you got paid to ride.

He had ZERO idea that I got paid flat rate. So, our long ride paid me NOTHING. I didn’t correct him because it wasn’t my place to do so. But I’d hoped my boss would have reimbursed me at least a little. But he didn’t.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()