Author Topic: Wet Weather Riding  (Read 1031 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Wet Weather Riding
« on: August 18, 2020, 08:07:00 AM »
A tip for any other 6’ X-Town 300 riders out there with a standard screen:

Noticed this morning that one upside to the wind noise behind my screen is that in rain, all I need to do is slightly incline my head downward to magically clear my FF helmet visor of water droplets!

Seems the vortex between my head and the screen gives a nice cleaning downdraft at that point. Who knew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Wet Weather Riding
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 12:04:21 PM »
THAT would be a helpful feature for any screen!
Thanks for the tip.
Beats wiping every 15 sec with left glove. Turn head to the side for me does a bit of what you describe..
.though I bet that others here who ride at a more normal male speed find head turning to be even more effective!
I've read that some never ride in rain, or at night.
I wonder....if I couldn't get to the countryside - I might not either.?
Stig
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:08:25 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:56:04 PM »
I don't intentionally ride in the rain, that's for sure! I do get caught in the occasional drizzle...but I've always kept my helmet and visor waxed, which helps shed water. Recently I've switched to using the new spray on ceramic waxes (turtle Wax and Griots garage both have excellent ones) on my helmet/visor (and bike, scoot and cars, too, amazing gloss/durability and easier than ever to use).

A slight turn of the head and poof, the water's gone!

But it would also be nice if your bike or scoot had a built in face shield drier like Neil's!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 02:43:27 PM »

But it would also be nice if your bike or scoot had a built in face shield drier like Neil's!
That's exactly the picture I was trying to paint in words Hawk!  It does function exactly like one of those car wash air blades!
Like you Stig, prior to identifying this feature of the XT (and still on my Triumph), I use the tried and trusted head turn to dispel gathered water.  Effective, but not as safe as the XT approach :)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 02:46:58 PM »

I've read that some never ride in rain, or at night.
I wonder....if I couldn't get to the countryside - I might not either.?
Stig
Been a while since I rode at night.  For no other reason than since I retired, most of my evening outings have been with 'er indoors so we take her 4x4 to save her the effort of kitting up for the bike. 

You've got me to thinking though Stig, I used to really enjoy night-time riding in the summer, so I think I may plan one or two before we slide into Autumn.  Thanks for the prompt!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 08:41:07 PM »
Been a while since I rode at night.  For no other reason than since I retired, most of my evening outings have been with 'er indoors so we take her 4x4 to save her the effort of kitting up for the bike. 

You've got me to thinking though Stig, I used to really enjoy night-time riding in the summer, so I think I may plan one or two before we slide into Autumn.  Thanks for the prompt!
Well, I  highly recommend a night ride to watch the sunrise.
Because : cool temps, no bugs, fewer idiots, you're fresher/smarter/better looking....and, it is simply the best part of the day.
You'll enjoy the heck out of an early morning ride....once you stop complaining about the hour...😊

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 06:41:22 AM »
Well, I  highly recommend a night ride to watch the sunrise.
Because : cool temps, no bugs, fewer idiots, you're fresher/smarter/better looking....and, it is simply the best part of the day.
You'll enjoy the heck out of an early morning ride....once you stop complaining about the hour...[emoji4]

Stig
In other words, “you know it makes sense!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 06:52:53 PM »
Past few days here in boring Chattanooga rain and wet roads---my XTown 300i with rear Michelin City Grip on the proper size-----slipped twice when I was not planning on it!  Prior to this thought they were nice all around tire.....maybe so if you stay out of the rain!  Would like to run this tire another 3-4,000 miles.  Replacement will be Heidenau I have in waiting.  Heidenau on front working well right now.

I find the XTown 300i very tire sensitive----the OEM tires were not the best choice.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 07:24:16 PM »
Perhaps your recent excitement in the wet has something to do with running very different tires on each end of your scooter?
Whole lot of people have good things to say about the City Grip...which is fitted as standard equipment on many Vespas....riding in rainy Europe.
Just another opinion on the tire.
If my tire or scooter does something unexpected in an otherwise fairly normal situation -- I  put it down as pilot error. And bookmark it as a learning experience.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:28:55 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 08:59:06 PM »
First, although City Grip not made in proper size for XTown.  I prefer to run matched sets.

With plenty of rain riding experience (over 20 years riding in wet Germany/over 20 years in Japan)
I am careful, not asking my tires to do more than they have to, but I ride in rain/wet as scooter is used for transport among other things.

One needs to remember in US/TN where I am now,, roads not designed to cater to 2 wheels----the idiots in TN put rain groves in the middle of freeway entrance decreasing radius turn----can furnish some real excitement!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()