Author Topic: Weird Sound  (Read 8301 times)

Stefan0714

• View Profile
Weird Sound
« on: July 21, 2020, 12:43:48 PM »
Hi all,

I already posted this in another thread, but thought it was wiser to create my own.

I am also joining the club I got 2013 Myroad black and I immediately realized I am the only one that owns it in the entire country.

Absolutely 0 parts and service support.

I imported it from Bulgaria to Serbia because I thought it was awesome, payed a premium as well, but didn't do much research unfortunately.

I have a really weird problem with it and would love to hear opinions on it as I see there are a lot of people here .
There is this weird sound when the bike is cold that changes in a different rubbing( only audible on acceleration)  sound when hot.
I had 3 shops look at it and no one realized what is it.

Things I have done is oil change and all filters, spark plugs as well as rollers.
Got the clutch bell sanded a bit as well as clutch pads and cleaned the entire transmission.

Here is the sound :

Thank you all,

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Weird Sound
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 02:20:37 AM »
Hard to hear much for the exhaust and what sounds like normal noise. Mine made some belt noise when it was new but since went away. How many mi/km do you have on it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 03:42:29 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 03:35:14 AM »
I could not hear the noise on the video but previously my scooter also had a strange noise coming and going by times and I could not determine where the noise was coming from.
The noise suddenly disappeared when I installed a complete new clutch kit. I could be wrong but I think the noise was actually coming from one of the old pulley’s bearings - probably the needle bearing.

P.S.  When I was comparing the two clutches I found that the old clutch and pulley assembly had a little extra play on the shaft when I was wiggling it on the shaft.
The new assembly also had a little play, but not as much as the old clutch.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 03:59:05 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stefan0714

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 12:43:44 PM »
Hard to hear much for the exhaust and what sounds like normal noise. Mine made some belt noise when it was new but since went away. How many mi/km do you have on it.

Hi , sorry for late reply.
I still have the noise,  if you listen to noises apart from the exhaust noises you can hear some metal sound that is audible on take off, it's pretty loud.
No mechanic i visited was able to figure out.
Scooter performs not so good when the sound is audible , once it warms up the sound disappeares and the scooter works ok.
I have new belt, new rollers and clutch has been sanded down and lubricated.
On woot I had a hiccup happen at 100mph couple of days ago, where it hesitated to accelerate.

I also had interment hiccups on take off last year.
Scooter has around 20000 miles.
Thank you

Stefan0714

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 01:52:11 PM »
I could not hear the noise on the video but previously my scooter also had a strange noise coming and going by times and I could not determine where the noise was coming from.
The noise suddenly disappeared when I installed a complete new clutch kit. I could be wrong but I think the noise was actually coming from one of the old pulley’s bearings - probably the needle bearing.

P.S.  When I was comparing the two clutches I found that the old clutch and pulley assembly had a little extra play on the shaft when I was wiggling it on the shaft.
The new assembly also had a little play, but not as much as the old clutch.

Thanks for your input, I had the clutch completely disassembled and inspected and all seem to be in perfect order.
Also the sound seems to be coming from where the exhaust pipes are  to me and not the cvt.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 04:00:20 AM »
Thanks for your input, I had the clutch completely disassembled and inspected and all seem to be in perfect order.
Also the sound seems to be coming from where the exhaust pipes are  to me and not the cvt.

Not really sure, possible something is wrong in the muffler.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 06:57:28 PM »
muffler gasket( between exhaust pipe and muffler, #2 exhaust port gasket.

Bagapapa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 02:20:07 PM »
Hi Stefan!

This sound is also present in my engine. The phenomenon is just as cold.
Were you able to find the cause?

Thanks for your answer!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 08:53:09 PM »
Sounds normal to me. The "whirring" sound is both the CVT fan, timing and starter chains/sprockets. But I'm old and what has not fallen off already doen't work or works part time. I DO have SELECTIVE HEARING! But that's what it sounds like to me.

Oil changes let you look for either pieces of metal chunks in the strainer screen or silvery flakes in the used oil. Seeing none means RIDE ON! Seeing some means QUIT and find the source.

Well muffled bikes let you hear the mechanical noises that are normal. Go find some old guy who can still hear faily well who has ridden a bunch in his life and let him listen to your machine. The guy in your town who was a racer or a bike builder.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Bagapapa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 09:14:11 AM »
Thanks for the advices!
Anyone who doesn’t hear the difficulty of detecting sound, I noticed in the video at once.
The sound is like some record is rattling. I checked the recordings and found no errors. When changing the oil, I checked the filter and there was no metal filings inside. The sound occurs when the engine starts running and emits more vibration. It does not appear at idle and higher speeds. I continue my search, I start breaking down the exhaust, first the cover plates, the exhaust drum and so on. I also check the exhaust seals, I had a problem that the exhaust bolts were lost, they fell out of the vibration. What I still think about is that in the exhaust, one of the plates of the continuation was released by the welding, which can still move cold but gets stuck warm due to the thermal expansion.

Laszlo

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()