Author Topic: Scooters in US, some observations  (Read 2006 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Scooters in US, some observations
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 01:52:24 AM »
Scooters tend to be less intimidating then motorcycles for new riders as well with no manual transmission clutch to deal with. Also the smaller scooters have less weight. Not so for maxi-scooters. 

I bought motorcycles for friends to ride, not one person took a bike out. I actually think the scooters will be used when we get together. 

Kind of funny in my youth I made fun of scooter riders now I'm one of them.  I could care less what people think.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »
I'm not sure if there's any evidence to support that a scooter's front wheel is easier to wash out. Due to their smaller wheel size they're actually better on the curves than a large wheeled MC, which tends to have better stability on the straightaways, and less on the turns.

Despite common misconceptions, scooters are just as dangerous as motorcycles, but too many times it's because of operator error, than the bike's overall design. I don't agree with the first assessment in the description below as I've never felt any less stability on a scooter compared to a MC, nor do I agree that they are not true commuter bikes as the author seems to only think of 50cc scooters as the only kind out there.

https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundation.com/are-scooters-safe/

Scooters are considered as dangerous as riding a MC.

Smaller Wheels – Scooters typically have smaller wheels than a motorcycle. They will be less stable on the road compared to a motorcycle primarily due to the smaller wheels giving less gyroscopic effect (hence the need to be upright). They will also be more susceptible to react to the small hazards in the road, such as potholes, debris, and bumps.

Less Visibility – It’s difficult to see motorcycles in traffic. A scooter, which is smaller than a typical motorcycle, will be even more difficult to see, putting you in more danger when you’re surrounded by heavy traffic, as other motorists may not recognize a scooter and rider in their path on the road.

Lack of Gear – Scooters are not widely seen as a true commuter vehicle, so riders tend not to wear the proper safety gear while riding compared to a normal motorcyclist. They opt to ride without a helmet, proper jacket, pants, or even good protective footwear. If you’ve been on vacation to a resort or beach, you may have seen the scooter rentals available. They don’t typically ask for a motorcycle license or if you brought proper safety equipment. Therefore, you’re more at risk sans protective gear on a scooter than being on a motorcycle with ATGATT.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
I've road both and know how my motorcycle reacts to sand on a cornor as well as how my scooter reacts to sand on a cornor. It's a a mater of physics there is less weight on the front of a scooter, most of the weight engine and rider is over the rear wheel. On a motorcycle the engine is located closer to the front of the wheel.  My personal experience yours may differ.

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »
Without question I feel safer riding a scooter.  It may be due to experience and familiarity, w twice as many miles ridden  (12,000 scoot vs 6,000 m/c).  The lighter weight, simpler braking, and cvt make scooters easier to handle and more fool proof.  Easier to make a mistake shifting or braking on a m/c.  Agree scooters corner better, while m/c is more stable on straights, especially at higher speeds.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 07:03:07 PM »
Simply not true,  Physics overrule opinion. The closer you get to front and back weight being equal the better the handling will be regardless if it's a  car motorcycle or scooter. The new mid-engine corvette will out handle the front engine corvette because it has better weight balance. The same is true whether it's a scooter or motorcycle the one with neutral weight balance will handle the best if weight of the machine is the same. A scooter is often more agile because of its lighter weight then a motorcycle.  My Lambretta uno 150 is light weight and very nimble around town compared to my maxi-scooter because it weighs so much less and smaller dimensions.

If your scooter with you sitting on it weighs the same on the front tire as it does on the rear tire that would be neutral weight balance.  In most cases a motorcycle is closer to neutral weight balance with a rider.  A motorcycle  might not be as agile because of heavier weight/larger dimensions.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 07:31:39 PM by Kansas kymco »

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 08:29:21 PM »
I would venture to say that all sport oriented motorcycles can out corner a scoot with equivalent talent on both bikes. The increased weight does not affect traction as it is the vector between gravity and friction which on a track can exceed 1/1 with good tires. The extra weight can actually be of benefit as it stabilizes the bike and becomes more resistant to minor road surface defects and minimal body movements.

In general a scooter will have a tighter turn radius at the steering stop and is definitely more nimble as KK stated.
Become the best you can with what you have.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 12:44:02 PM »
The limitation on cornering speed of a scooter will normally have nothing to do with weight or weight distribution.  The limiting factor is typically cornering clearance.  Lean most scooters very far and hard parts will start to drag.  Lean further and you will lever one or both of the tires off the ground and go sliding.  Most cruiser or touring style motorcycles have the same problem. 

I currently own two scooters and two motorcycles.  The motorcycles have much more cornering clearance and are much faster on a twisty road.  My motorcycles also have much better suspensions.

But, my scooters are much easier to ride and are much more practical.  Depending on the ride they can also be much more fun. 

Weight?  My KLX250 is about 25 pounds heavier than my Like 150i.

My Versys 650 weighs about the same as my Majesty 400.  The Majesty has much lighter steering but the Versys is way faster.  The Versys has way more power, better brakes and better suspension.  Despite all this I ride my Majesty more than the Versys. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
Nicely put Klav.  I'd agree totally and as you effectively say it's horses for courses.  There are occasions when the scooter is just right and others where the bike is a much better fit.  Long may it remain so.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:31:35 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 07:31:05 PM »
The limitation on cornering speed of a scooter will normally have nothing to do with weight or weight distribution.  The limiting factor is typically cornering clearance.  Lean most scooters very far and hard parts will start to drag.  Lean further and you will lever one or both of the tires off the ground and go sliding.  Most cruiser or touring style motorcycles have the same problem. 

I currently own two scooters and two motorcycles.  The motorcycles have much more cornering clearance and are much faster on a twisty road.  My motorcycles also have much better suspensions.

But, my scooters are much easier to ride and are much more practical.  Depending on the ride they can also be much more fun. 

Weight?  My KLX250 is about 25 pounds heavier than my Like 150i.

My Versys 650 weighs about the same as my Majesty 400.  The Majesty has much lighter steering but the Versys is way faster.  The Versys has way more power, better brakes and better suspension.  Despite all this I ride my Majesty more than the Versys.
Since you added the word normally to your post I would tend to agree with you. I could and be willing to prove the front tire will wash out on a scooter before a motorcycle.  If you take your scooter on a sand covered asphalt road and I take my Versys 650 or BMW 650 GS I would be willing to bet you loose traction before I.  This is one of the first things I noticed when going from a motorcycle to a scooter on a loose road surface.

I like the scooters better for long trips then my dual sports. The upright position, soft suspension and plush seat just offers more comfort. Add the faring and windscreen just add to the overall comfort.  Then add all the storage on a scooter, between the legs, under the seat, the case on the back makes this thing into a pack mule for grocery store runs. I don't carry a passenger but the seat looks like the scooter would be more accommodating as well.

My Xciting's ride more like a cruiser motorcycle then a sport bike. The Scarver (street carver) cornors like it's on rails. Ironically the BMW Rotex is actually built by Kymco.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:41:20 PM by Kansas kymco »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 07:59:17 PM »
I think a scooter is a lot less intimidating for a new rider as well. The center of gravity is a lot lower and a CVT is easier for a new rider to master.  My friends (who haven't rode in years, decades) are not intimidated by the small scooter 125-150 size and will actually ride them. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()