Author Topic: Scooters in US, some observations  (Read 2005 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Scooters in US, some observations
« on: June 05, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »
As long time fan of scooters, but with most of my miles on motorcycles---everyday rider since 1955, and long time rider outside of US (40 years).

1.  Scooters are not really part of important transportation in US.  Very few serious commuters on them.

2.  Dealer network can be spotty.

3.  With the scooters appealing to old/aging riders.  Many not so skillfully ridden.  My point here--IT TAKES MORE SKILL to skillfully/safely ride scooter than reg. motorcycle----think scooter has no footpegs to stand on,(think bumps), no tank to grip, some scooters have feet forward riding position (can hurt back)

I like the step over/thru mounting, but with no tank I find scooter without leg support, pushing around with feet---easier to tip over or get away from you.   I think just about every scooter rider has had one go over at one time or another!!

AND auto transmissions do not give the exact control that reg. motorcycle clutch (skillfully used) in heavy/slow traffic situations. 

Just some thoughts from still daily rider at 81.  Most fun/enjoyment from scooters for me=long tours, used scooter to AK, east as far as Nova Scotia, been to 49 states with scooter----getting expensive, though. This year maybe going back to camping/sleeping along side bike---Slept in bushes in Geneva, on the bank of the Seine in Paris, in the nice Rest Areas of the Toll Roads in Japan----recent years in US, awakened by Police while taking daily nap along road.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Scooters in US, some observations
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »
I've said it before, but it bears repetition, you're an inspiration to all us scootering "yougsters" John.  I hope that if I get to 81 I will still be capable of swinging a leg over my scooter and getting out there for a few adventures. 

You remind me of another biking T-shirt that says "You don't give up biking because you get old, you get old because you give up biking"!  Just substitute scootering for biking.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 09:16:58 PM »
John I agree with your assessment. You do have to keep in mind one major difference between Europe and US is population density.  Other factors have to be considered as well such as fuel cost insurance and taxes are more expensive in Europe compared to US making scooters more appealing as well.

Back to population density look at UK compared to Kansas both close area wise but not population wise. You will have a lot more scooter riders because you have a lot more people then add in above factors.  Another thing is distances are greater to get somewhere unless your talking large cities.

Lots of different factors come into play.  Home prices as well  UK 231,855 L (287,500 dollars) compared to Kansas 153,853 dollars.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 01:00:43 AM »
Scooters are the work-horse of the world. I remember a picture of a man riding on a 250 cc scooter in some country with his two kids, wife, ducks in a cage, water jugs and so on, who was as happy as can be. Yet in USA people look angry and sad in their huge SUVs' as they drone on down the freeway.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 01:02:29 AM »
Scooters are the work-horse of the world. I remember a picture of a man riding on a 250 cc scooter in some country with his two kids, wife, ducks in a cage, water jugs and so on, who was as happy as can be. Yet in USA people look angry and sad in their huge SUVs' as they drone on down the freeway.
Not me just took a 1170 mile trip in two days to get two scooters. Was able to take my Collies and have Ice tea in the cupholder. 97 degree heat with high humidity and I was extremely comfortable in my 3/4 ton truck with the A/C blowing nice cold air. I guess it just depends on your perspective.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 03:30:25 AM »
The Scooter is still the work-horse of the world.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »
But the long trip was not on scooter.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »
But the long trip was not on scooter.
That was my point everything has its place, your not going to bring home two scooters with a scooter.  I ride for recreation not out of necessity.

My cousin rode his motorcycle winter and summer in Canada no less very seldom using a 4 wheel vehicle.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 08:54:17 PM »
There is a greater mindset being defended. Entitlement.
 For most people in the world the Scooter is the work-horse. In the USA we are privileged.
My hat is off in salute to all the scooter people of the world be they white, black, brown or yellow!

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 12:44:42 AM »
There is a greater mindset being defended. Entitlement.
 For most people in the world the Scooter is the work-horse. In the USA we are privileged.
My hat is off in salute to all the scooter people of the world be they white, black, brown or yellow!
Privileged my posterior, you better read your history book before making such a statement. We payed a very heavy price to defend Europe and rebuilt under the Marshall plan. I put in as many as 120 hours in a week to get what I have. Under capitalism we get to keep the rewards for hard work. Under other societies that is not always the case.

Why do you think immigrants want to come here, they can be rewarded for hard work.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:55:39 AM by Kansas kymco »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 12:01:07 PM »
The mechanics of riding a scooter are different, but not at a disadvantage compared to riding a MC. The lack of a tank to straddle doesn’t impair the riding. Skillful use of counter-steering reduces the need for leaning, but as can be seen in scooter racing, leaning is very possible for scooter riders. The need for pegs isn’t a high requirement.

I rode for 17 hours from St. Johns, New Brunswick, CA to Philadelphia, Pa in one day
with no back problems (but one helluva of a sore ass).

A scooter is the Swiss Army knife of the 2-wheeled world. I love MCs, but they don’t give me what I need. A scooter does.

-Wolf

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »
I agree, counter weighting is highly effective on scoots. Especially in a case like mine where the rider is 20 pounds heavier than the bike. I don't think I could shift the combined bike plus rider CG by 12 inches on a 450-500 pound mc. I think it counters the bulk of the ground clearance problems.

I think scootering is the bareback riding of the 2 wheeled world. I do like the secure seating o a sport mc.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »
No tank to hold on to on a scooter. Also the front wheel doesn't have the weight of a motorcycle which tends to let a scooter wash out . Knowing the limitations of a scooter it's a comfortable ride.  I'm just not that aggressive of a  scooter rider.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 03:30:32 PM »

3.  With the scooters appealing to old/aging riders.  Many not so skillfully ridden.  My point here--IT TAKES MORE SKILL to skillfully/safely ride scooter than reg. motorcycle----think scooter has no footpegs to stand on,(think bumps), no tank to grip, some scooters have feet forward riding position (can hurt back)

While I agree with much of what you posted, I don't agree that it takes more skill to ride a scooter.  I would argue the opposite.  I'm not saying that a motorcycle doesn't have some advantages, such as being easier to stand up for bumps, but in most cases a scooter is easier to ride.  Scooters tend to be lighter, have a lower CG, and for people not used to shifting the CVT makes riding much easier. 

You mentioned a feet forward riding position.  That is true of most Harleys and other cruisers as well. 

Do you think a 8-900 pound cruiser or touring bike is easier to ride than a 280 pound scooter?

Now if you want to ride off road or really fast on the road then a motorcycle makes more sense. 

I rode motorcycles for 30 years before getting my first scooter.  Sure there are some differences that a rider needs to get used to but for me a scooter is just much easier to ride. 

You mentioned many unskilled riders on scooter.  I have to agree with you on that but there are also many unskilled riders on motorcycles.  I have seen many crashes/fall overs due to a rider being on a motorcycle that is to big for their ability.  Those riders would be safer on a lighter scooter although even a lighter scooter isn't really safe if the rider doesn't now how to ride.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »
No tank to hold on to on a scooter. Also the front wheel doesn't have the weight of a motorcycle which tends to let a scooter wash out . Knowing the limitations of a scooter it's a comfortable ride.  I'm just not that aggressive of a  scooter rider.

The front to back weight distribution is approximately 40/60 on my Agility especially with the distance I sit back on the seat for knee clearance. My floor board storage box helps when loaded.
Become the best you can with what you have.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()