Author Topic: stalls 10 seconds after start ???  (Read 2447 times)

love2ride2222

• View Profile
Re: stalls 10 seconds after start ???
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 06:09:10 PM »
@Scooterfan.

This is the first time I have ever heard this    , how do I check if the cdi is working properly ???  I will tell the story here. About a year a go I was washing my scoot and splashed the suds off with a bucket of water the floor plate was temporarily off and the water got down thru the the battery cover to battery area and cdi . I took it for a ride and about 2 miles away my scooter died , I had to push it home . I pulled the battery cover and saw the cdi melted. I ordered (  CDI DC Kymco 50 50cc 2 stroke, Grand Dink People Super 9 LC Top Boy Yager etc )    from parts-galore on  ebay . The seller told me this is the one I needed , im not even sure if mine is dc or the other. Anyway I put it in and it ran. I never checked the plug right away so I didn't know if it was hot. About 6 months ago I started having problems with the  starter turning the engine . I ordered a few batteries , it was weird they didn't work but were brand new . Also Im not sure if it was the batteries , lots of confusion , but one time a new battery worked and I said I not touching it and returned the others . Then early winter I have been having hard time to start and idle , basically it woudnt at all for just a seconds and then make a poof sound and die. But I recently noticed ( maybe its complete coincidence ) but I would take the gas cap off and it would start , idk  could be my imagination , but this has gone onto long.
So the battery is new and strong, terminals clean , the cdi is new didn't seem to be any problems but how would I know  ?  So plug shows hot , runs good when I ride it.

What do you think  ?

Thank you .

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 07:44:04 PM »
Hi love2ride222,
To start with - no new battery bought off the shelf will be  fully charged. Our local new batteries (South Africa) are usually between 80 to 90 percent charged when it comes off the shelf. When only battery acid gets poured into a new battery it will never be fully charged -  therefore a brand new battery actually needs to be hooked to battery charger if you expect it to be fully charged before installation.

On a normal car, truck, etc this hardly ever cause any problems, but in case of a scooter with DC CDI I am quite convinced that a new battery should actually be hooked to a battery charger before installation. The reason being - the voltage reading at a DC CDI itself must at least be about 9.6 Volts, otherwise the engine will not start.
Regarding your experience with batteries which didn’t work - I think there is a possibility that the batteries were not faulty, the batteries were perfectly normal. It probably came off the shelf without being fully charged with a battery charger before installation, therefore the voltage reading at the CDI was probably lower than 9.6 Volts when you tried to start the scooter. (If your scooter has a DC CDI)

To see if you have more than 9.6 volts at your scooter’s CDI , you can just remove the plug at the CDI, let somebody pull a brake lever, switch the ignition on, and press the engine “start” button. Then you need to do a Voltage test at the loose CDI terminal while e engine is swinging . One of the wires on that terminal is the power feed to the  CDI, and if you get a reading of more than 9,6 Volts while the engine is swinging it means there is no need to worry about he battery - the problem could be at th CDI. ( This is in case your scooter has a DC. CDI).

If I remember correctly there are videos on Youtube about how to test a CDI, but I haven’t bothered to test one yet. I actually bought an extra CDI, just in case the CDI on my scoot start giving problems.

I have no experience about AC  CDI’s  - so in case your scooter has an AC CDI somebody else might be able to give advice.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:46:37 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

love2ride2222

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 08:05:35 PM »
You wrote : I am quite convinced that a new battery should actually be hooked to a battery charger before installation.

Yes I charged all of them . Before all the problems , I tried a jumper box and it turned it over real good , but then later didn't . I came to the conclusion it might have been how I put the starter gear back in .  Anyway I should test the cdi if it is getting 9,6 volts is that correct ? 

Also this wont address the hot plug , but the * MODIFIED my message *    start up and idle  issue seems to go away when its hot out ( I live in South Florida , US). So that got me thinking about pressure and with in lines and stuff. Recently as I think I mentioned it wasn't starting well at all and when someone mentioned fuel valve and to pop the gas lid off , that possibly it wasn't venting allowing the fuel to circulate.  I did that and it seemed to work.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:24:13 PM by love2ride2222 »

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »
Yes, if you get a Voltage reading of 9.6 Volts or more while the engine is swinging the engine should start when you connect the plug to the CDI again.
That Voltage drop is normal while the engine is swinging.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:36 PM »
Another thought - just make sure the fuse connections are not corroded, and make sure the fuses are not sitting loose at the fuse terminals.

love2ride2222

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 11:23:37 PM »
Sorry for late reply.

Im certain the battery/fuses are good and pretty certain the cdi is fine. I could not find any youtube or advice on where to stick multimeter probes to test cdi and with my luck if I do it wrong Id ruin it , and don't have that option at the moment as its my transportation . Id say if it takes off like a rocket ship , its getting ok spark,  and that's never changed unless I messed with the air fuel screw . 

I still can't make sense of why its so loud even when its bolted up tight now.
No air leaks can be found except I guess somehow from the exhaust but I can't seem to figure it out. The idle revs high at stop light and sometimes comes down in a bit or not at all.  Another thing ( why I initially started this thread was scooter would not idle ) , but now it does but for a while it wouldn't .Recently I popped the gas lid off and that seemed to make the difference. I checked fuel flow like instructed and it showed it was working fine. Its like this scooter has Gremlins . There are no respectable scooter shops near me  and it seems everything has gone to crappy 4 stroke also.

love2ride2222

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 05:08:43 AM »
So my scoot was vandalized yesterday. My seat razor bladed , and paint .
Can some one advise me where to get a new seat ?
I tried to post a photo of damage but it keeps saying error .

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()