Author Topic: Valve Adjustment?  (Read 3393 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
Valve Adjustment?
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:01:59 PM »
I notice I am due to have this adjusted.  Way over due actually and someone on another post of mine said this maybe due to me losing some of my top speed. I am wondering when you all have got yours checked if they need alot of adjusting or is it often OK?  I am asking cause the garage just told me if they are off alot this can take them up to two hours to adjust.  This is gonna cost me a good $200 gosh!
Kat :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Valve Adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 05:06:13 PM »
Karl, is this just nut and set-screw? Or are shims involved on the DT300?
If it's just nut and screw....
Once the valve cover is off - the feeler blade is used to determine the proper gap....only a moments more work to adjust if it is not up to specs.

The time & labor/$ is getting to the area to check. Once there -  "Good" or "Way out of specs" adds only a few mins more labor time.

If your valve check is way overdue.....might be time to have it done. (though often hard starting is a symptom of valves needing adjustment - but not the only sign)

Karl - jump in here!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:24:58 PM »
Screw and lock-nut. I am slow like grass growing and it does not take me any two hours! Nice thing is once set they pretty well stay put. However, never hurts to check. I usually check it on delivery and they usually are either close to right or slightly tight. Check again at the 600 mile service, adjust if necessary. Again at 3000 change a check usually does NOT reveal adjustment required. Check again at 9000 or if any power loss noted.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »
Screw and lock-nut. I am slow like grass growing and it does not take me any two hours! Nice thing is once set they pretty well stay put. However, never hurts to check. I usually check it on delivery and they usually are either close to right or slightly tight. Check again at the 600 mile service, adjust if necessary. Again at 3000 change a check usually does NOT reveal adjustment required. Check again at 9000 or if any power loss noted.

Hey guys thanks your both awesome.  I had them done at 10,000km and I am now at 28000 km.  I had lost my top speed and someone thought I might want to check the valves but boy if I can avoid this that would be great.  So it shouldn't take them long even if they do check hey?  More than what say half hour??

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 04:09:40 PM »
Kat,
If your shop charges by the hour for labor...….I can't see them doing it in much less than an hour.
Put the scooter up on the lift.
Remove some panels.....and maybe the seat.
Move engine to top dead center.
Remove valve cover to access the valves for the check.
Check and adjust.
Valve cover back on.
Replace panels and seat.
Off the lift.

Might charge for a new valve cover gasket....to prevent future oil leaks.

Shop techs don't move as though they are doing factory piece-work.....but they're not goofing around either.
If it is a Kymco shop - they may very well have a set labor time (and price) for a valve check on your particular scooter.

One thing to ask about - most advise doing a valve check only on a cold engine. Some say that is not necessary.
They will not charge you for the time it takes for your engine to cool - if you ride it in. But you might be waiting awhile for it to cool before they begin.

The alternative is to learn to do the valve check yourself. It will take you much longer than and hour - since it is your first time - but the only part you'll want to spend $ on is the new valve cover gasket. A set of feeler blades is only a couple $, a cheap metric wrench or two from the dollar table at your hardware store. (you're not dealing with massive torque here)

Watch a boatload of videos....find some photos of that area of your scooter. Get a manual?

Stig

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:11:32 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:37:36 PM »
The valve cover gasket is a moulded o-ring like part that fits PRECISELY in a groove. It is a very high-class part/design and works really well. Have not replaced a single one on two DT 300i scoots. Never had a leak. Replace is the best but I'm too cheap!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »
Don't be too hard on the mechanic who told you it will take "much longer" to adjust valves which are "way off" from the correct settings. I think he was just trying to find the "easy way out" to explain costs to get valve clearing settings correctly by professionals.
 Fact is - on average, a two Valve "nut and screw" set-up with "way off" clearances shouldn't take more than 20 seconds to be set up correctly from a "way off" position.
To be honest - in our part of the world the price quoted to you actually sounds like a real "bargain".

Like Stig suggested - rather try doing the valve clearances yourself.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Dk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:27:00 PM »
I had a hard time finding the feeler guage for my people s 250 even in Cleveland, so it might save you time and trouble buying the right one here on Amazon:

Cyful Stainless Steel Metric... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBQPDSN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Based on youtube videos I watched, it wasn't hard.  I didn't replace the valve cover gasket but I applied high temperature RTV silicone over it as a YouTuber recommended.  After about 800 miles it is running well.

I encourage you to DIY.  My mechanic quoted 2000-3000$ for an engine rebuild which got me into this..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:37:20 AM by Dk »

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
Thanks so much to all of YOU!! :D  I will let ya all know what goes.  I am taking the bike in Monday morning.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 07:42:45 PM »
Just got the bike back and it basically didn't need any adjusting only charged me 50 bucks. :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »
Just got the bike back and it basically didn't need any adjusting only charged me 50 bucks. :)
Any explanation from the mechanic about your missing top speed?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
What Stig asked and YEAY! on the 50 bucks! I think your dealer may be honorable!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »
Any explanation from the mechanic about your missing top speed?
Stig

Hmmm he hummed and hawed :) he mentioned a couple things but gosh you think I can remember nope.  He asked me to check my rpm when I am riding this is something I know nothing about and never look but I am going to test this out now. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
Hmmm he hummed and hawed :) he mentioned a couple things but gosh you think I can remember nope.  He asked me to check my rpm when I am riding this is something I know nothing about and never look but I am going to test this out now. 

OK, Nireen…….ummmmm - no one wanted to be the one to ask. But Karl, you see,  wondered, since it was such a  l o n g hard winter.....if maybe we might have put on a pound or two while we were house-bound?

I told Karl, "No way!", I bet she just grew an inch or two taller and the wind is slowing her down.

Stig :)

Also, if the valves are good - just ride the snot out of it and enjoy!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »
Thanks, Stig! THAT will put me in the barrel for sure! Har, har!

I do recall, years ago when I first started to ride, each motorcycle seemed to get kinda poor after a while. Then when the ship would deploy for 6 months or more, the bikes seemed to perk up when I returned. Could it be you got used to what it would do....not trying to brush you off, just looking at all possibilities. Especially sine Stig gave me up! Har, har!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()