Author Topic: Toolkit suggestions  (Read 377 times)

justbrad9

• View Profile
Toolkit suggestions
« on: November 23, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
Hey, everyone! New here and new to scooters (and motorbikes, in general). My wife and I just took our MSF Basic Riders course and, while we eventually want to purchase motorcycles, we decided to start with scooters to build our confidence/skills of riding on the road. My wife purchased a 2018 LIKE 200i and I picked up a 2013 Super 8 150 with about 1100 miles on it. Our goal is mainly to just cruise around our town and have fun together. I am wondering what you all would recommend for a basic, grab-and-go toolkit to keep under the seat or to throw in a backpack. Basically, what tools and items might we find ourselves most in need of or wanting while out and about? Thanks for your input!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Toolkit suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »
Welcome to the nut farm! There are 7000 members here and thas how many opinions you gonna get! Seriously, a tool kit is a good idea and can save you a major headache. Plus, Murphy's Inverse Law says if you have a tool kit nothing will break! I have one I take on trips that is tailored to the fasteners on the bike, a Downtown 300i. The sizes will probably match most of your two bikes. 7, 8, 10, 12 & 13 mm sockets and 1/4" drive handles, 9 & 10 mm combination wrenches, 4" adjustable wrench, feeler guages and of course, the cheapo tool kit that came with the bike. Sticky rope tire plugs and a short bicycle pump. Some touring riders carry a spare CVT belt and tools but they go on really long trips. There. That should get you started! Watch out, though. You may get hooked on scooters and never even consider motorcycles! It HAS happened! Then there are really old guys like De dee and me who can't hold up or pick up a motorcycle anymore riding scooters!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

justbrad9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 05:07:19 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »
I've always carried a variator removal tool and belt, but it's probably overkill. I have used it once.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 01:06:42 AM »
Hey, everyone! New here and new to scooters (and motorbikes, in general). My wife and I just took our MSF Basic Riders course and, while we eventually want to purchase motorcycles, we decided to start with scooters to build our confidence/skills of riding on the road. My wife purchased a 2018 LIKE 200i and I picked up a 2013 Super 8 150 with about 1100 miles on it. Our goal is mainly to just cruise around our town and have fun together. I am wondering what you all would recommend for a basic, grab-and-go toolkit to keep under the seat or to throw in a backpack. Basically, what tools and items might we find ourselves most in need of or wanting while out and about? Thanks for your input!
For just cruising around town on well maintained low mileage scooters....I'd recommend water bottles, some snacks for use at your halfway point.
Honestly......these scooters are pretty advanced vehicles and are hardly more prone to leave you stranded than would your automobile!
Ride them and enjoy them. Check your oil before each ride, look at the tire shape with weight on it....then go have safe fun.
If really, really concerned .....invest in a breakdown service....like AAA.
 Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()