Author Topic: play in rear axle / driveshaft ?  (Read 345 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
play in rear axle / driveshaft ?
« on: September 29, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
morning, guys,  so I'm changing out my rear brake shoes (due to a pulsation in the brakes..found replacement shoes shipped for $10)....and I was checking the rear axle / shaft for any play and I found I could move the shaft ever so slightly up and down. No front to back movement but the tiniest bit of up and down.

I'm guessing this is not good...the start of worn bearings? Scoot is 8 yrs old with about 2600 miles.

I have always had a certain slight vibration / noise from the rear...kind of a vroom, vroom, vroom feeling that increased with speed.

So I'm wondering, is any play at all acceptable or should there be absolutely no play back there?

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: play in rear axle / driveshaft ?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:11:17 AM »
This a single shock bike? My thinking is there are two bearings on all these drive axles so the only two movements should be rotation and MAYBE end play. Any up and down needs to be investigated and eliminated.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: play in rear axle / driveshaft ?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »
it has dual shocks, People S200.....but yeah, I'd assume any up and down play is not good. Funny thing about my $10 brake shoes, they don't fit! The wear material was about 50% wider/thicker than on my factory shoes and I could not get the rear wheel back on. Ended up putting back the original brakes after cleaning everything up. They still had almost all their original wear material as these brakes seem to only make contact with the drum on about 10% of the pad surface, just at the bottom where the shoes spread out.

I have the service manual but the process of opening up the transmission case and replacing bearings is not something I want to mess with so the scoot will just have to continue on as is. I've only put about 700 miles on it in the last 3 years so I'm not too concerned, but thanks for the reply.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()