Author Topic: Bogs down at high speed  (Read 7502 times)

webslappy

• '07 People S200 | '06 People 150 | Vento Zip 50
    • View Profile
Re: Bogs down at high speed
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 02:29:47 AM »
cleanerman

Unbelievably, no. It's been at the mechanic for over 2 months.  Between parts and labor, I'm over $700 into it and still don't have a fix. I only paid $950 for it but it only has 2300 miles on it so I'm in a quandary.  The next thing the mechanic is looking at is the emission canisters but feel like he's grasping at straws. Not sure when I should walk away from it

webslappy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
So I finally got my scooter back...just in time to put away for the winter. >:(  Anyway, the problem was with the stator wire and CDI unit.  My mechanic replaced both of them and it seems to have fixed the issue.  I only gave it a quick test as it was 30 degrees outside.  Hope that's the end of this saga.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 11:24:30 PM »
Good news. But geez, 2 1/2 months after your previous update (& at $700+) - hate to think what the final total was.
But glad you can be back out scootering when weather improves (any day now?)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

webslappy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »
Fortunately, he didn't charge me anymore since I'm not sure how much he worked on it over the last 2.5 months.  It was a frustrating experience because he's an excellent mechanic but his communication was poor.  He wouldn't answer texts\calls, etc.  I finally told him I was coming to pick it up and it was fixed when I got it.  I winterized it this weekend and I'll start fresh in the Spring and hope no major issues going forward.  Thanks to all for their input and help.

webslappy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »
So after cleaning out the carb (see my previous thread), my scooter fires right up and idles nicely. I just took it for my first real ride since last Fall and it still misses under heavy throttle. It's much better than it was but it still hesitates occasionally.  Re-reading this thread, I will try lower octane gas in it but any other ideas to try?

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 08:39:31 PM »
after cleaning out the carb . . still misses under heavy throttle
What are the pilot and main jet sizes?

webslappy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 09:06:31 PM »
Not sure. I believe they're the OEM sizes.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 09:29:36 PM »
It's not 'pinging' under heavy throttle - is it?
If so, higher octane is needed, not lower.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

webslappy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 02:22:49 AM »
Sorry Stig, not sure what you mean by pinging, but I used 93 gas with octane booster in it hoping to give it a Spring jumpstart, but maybe it's having the opposite effect?  Should I be using 87 or 91?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
Sorry Stig, not sure what you mean by pinging, but I used 93 gas with octane booster in it hoping to give it a Spring jumpstart, but maybe it's having the opposite effect?  Should I be using 87 or 91?
No, too low octane can cause pre-ignition  (knocking, pinging)
I'm pretty sure your engine issue is unrelated to fuel type or mixture....in any manner.  Fuel 'delivery' is a different subject. Others can help you with that.
These things are sold and expected to run in 3rd world countries....on all kinds of fuels.
Stig
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:14:10 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 02:21:04 PM »
Yes, 87 is your fuel.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

webslappy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 04:41:27 PM »
So I'm wondering if I need to re-do my carb cleaning.  When I cleaned it, I really just cleaned the jets and the one was completely blocked.  Since then, it runs better and the 'bogging down' isn't as frequent.  Do you think pulling it out and pulling it apart and doing a thorough cleaning will more than likely fix the bogging down or do you think the bogging down is caused by something different and the clogged jet was just making it worse.  Any input is appreciated.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
Probably complete disassembly, re-examine jets and definitely blow out all passages. Inspect diaphragm if it has one and replace if any tears or pinholes. Put the idle screws back the way they were for a starting point.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »
A good starting point might be to do some reading about the cons of using an ethanol fuel mixture, while the scooter will not be used during a long, cold winter.

In short, the fuel mixture gets stale, evaporates, and glogges up everything - including air channels. You basically need need to strip everything, and use a carb cleaner to spray all channels and components according to instructions. Then blow it off with an air compressor.

If you haven’t changed the fuel filter yet, it might help to drain the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter, and re-fill the tank with fresh fuel. Remember, the clogging process that took place inside the carb during the long, cold winter., also took place inside the fuel tank when the scooter was stationary.

I am a member of several motorcycle groups in the US, and it became quite clear that ethanol is causing all sorts of carburetor problems when motorcycles don't get used for long periods.
In our country we don’t have ethanol fuel mixtures, we use our motorcycles and scooters almost 365 days per year, and we hardly ever experience carburetor problems. 

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

cleanerman

• Upper East TENNESSEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 12:49:28 PM »
WEBSLAPPY   Still following your saga.
2009 People S200, 2007 Honda
 Reflex, 2018 Vespa GTS300 Super

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()