Author Topic: Won’t go into four wheel drive when below freezing  (Read 564 times)

glengust

• View Profile
Won’t go into four wheel drive when below freezing
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:30:25 PM »
 Up here in the frozen tundra,  this last winter when it got below freezing my 450 would not go into four-wheel-drive but when It warmed up then it would go in to four-wheel-drive. Any thoughts?

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Won’t go into four wheel drive when below freezing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:26:06 PM »
Just a thought here, if moisture was inside that could freeze may cause a problem...I would drain and refill the front diff with 75/90 wtfull syn lube.  Also listen for the actuator working when you turn the switch.  Sounds like some waterhas gotten into some where it shouldn't

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
I operated my UXV500I below freezing for some reason and had no trouble with selecting any drive options. I had already performed what airshot suggested before I started using the machine.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

glengust

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:20:30 AM »
Thanks guys. I’ll give that a try

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »
I have been pleasantly surprised, I've been out putting my 450i to work as cold as -20°f.  It had started as quickly as it does in warmer temps and the efi sensors do their thing at the engine warms. Shifting is no knotchier than warm temps and the 2wd/4wd/4wd-lock works perfect.

What is more surprising is that I haven't broken anything, banging around in the woods, skidding tree length logs (18"butt x 75' to a 4" top white pine), well beyond the rated towing capacity, Trygg chains on the tires

turns out, this is the best tractor I have ever owned
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »
   The work that you have done and the documentation to go with it, is a real testament to the quality of these machines!!  Just for fun go look on the Polaris forum sometime....hundreds of pages of problems with there machines, even the newer ones....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()