Author Topic: Seat rebuild or new shocks for comfort?  (Read 931 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Seat rebuild or new shocks for comfort?
« on: April 14, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »
Has anyone else rebuilt their scooter seat to improve their riding comfort, as I  have?
Nearly 5 yrs ago I was riding my LIKE200i on a really lousy section of road at 45mph, with cars closely pushing me from behind.
Tire PSI and shock preload were fine, yet I was getting knocked around so much on the scoot's thin seat that it was borderline uncontrollable. The nasty seat pan ridge was ridiculous.
My first step was to begin a search for the proverbial perfect aftermarket rear shocks.
Careful reading lead me to the conclusion that they don't exist....except in the hype of sellers....or in the minds of riders who've spent big $$ for same.

Anyone share my thinking on this?
Stig
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:28:53 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: Seat rebuild or new shocks for comfort?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
I find the DT's seat comfortable enough, but I too am looking for a decent set of rear shocks to replace the original equipment, which are looking a little tatty and not the best over our often potholed and rutted backroads.

So any suggestions are welcome. As are any thoughts on softening the front end which I also find quite firm going over bumps.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
A reshaped and re-padded seat sounds like a great way to go.

I tend to stand up when traversing bumps, because I tend to move around all over on motorcycles to keep my joints from stiffening up. My legs are a pair of shock absorbers I already have. I can understand if it's not a feasible option for others, but it's worth a try if you haven't already!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 06:43:59 PM by robot_surgeon »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:22:13 PM »
 On my downtown 300i  I rebuilt the seat 5 years ago,  from your ideas,  only I put in rebond foam 4 inches thick , and carved out the seat area so I would not slide forward on braking and cut out the butt stop about 5 inches, for my long legs,
 pictures in scooter wolfs blog

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »

I tend to stand up when traversing bumps, because I tend to move around all over on motorcycles to keep my joints from stiffening up. My legs are a pair of shock absorbers I already have. I can understand if it's not a feasible option for others, but it's worth a try if you haven't already!

Yeah buddie ! -- that big ol' rebuilt seat ain't just for ugly - it is goo-oood  riding. Smooths out Ohio just right! Plus, sitting way up there gives drivers a better opportunity to admire more of me.

Trees blossoming today.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

fest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 01:56:28 AM »
You can put a pillow and underneath a mountain bike bicycle tube. It helps a lot. I've released scooters are not best when it comes to bumpy roads because of a riding position.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 09:53:48 AM »

Standing up on bumps on a feet-forward scooter I think is not possible.
Your feet are under or behind you on motorcycles , but not scooters.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 12:04:29 PM »
For now I'm using a sheepskin pad over the seat; surprisingly it helps a lot.  But still, at 6'2", it would be nice to sit a little further back.  If Dolemite is still out there, could you tell me where you got your seat done?  I live close to Mobile, and really like the look of the work they did.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:06:10 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 02:27:32 AM »
Standing up on bumps on a feet-forward scooter I think is not possible.
Your feet are under or behind you on motorcycles , but not scooters.
Stig

I've stood up on my various small scoots over the years, without resorting to passenger pegs. When I ride, I sometimes hang off too especially in group rides, where I like the extra safety margin and available lean angle in the twisty bits should the person ahead of me panic mid curve and hit the brakes.

Sometimes I wonder if people look around expecting me to ride by on a dual-sport bike, but then I come rolling along on a scooter standing up. It also helps me look over shorter vehicles and further down the road when traffic gets backed up.

I imagine it's more difficult for someone who has a longer inseam. Cruisers are the hardest to stand up on without feeling like I'm perched way too far forwards. Otherwise I would have kept my V45 Magna.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:30:51 AM by ophelia »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 02:33:31 AM »
I've stood up on my various small scoots over the years, without resorting to passenger pegs. When I ride, I sometimes hang off too especially in group rides, where I like the extra safety margin and available lean angle in the twisty bits should the person ahead of me panic mid curve and hit the brakes.

Sometimes I wonder if people look around expecting me to ride by on a dual-sport bike, but then I come rolling along on a scooter standing up. It also helps me look over shorter vehicles and further down the road when traffic gets backed up.

I imagine it's more difficult for someone who has a longer inseam. Cruisers are the hardest to stand up on without feeling like I'm perched way too far forwards. Otherwise I would have kept my V45 Magna.
At 6'3", no way i can safely stand on the footboards.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()