Author Topic: 450i CLEP light (check engine light) stays on??  (Read 2771 times)

Gonzo31u

• View Profile
450i CLEP light (check engine light) stays on??
« on: March 15, 2018, 02:47:19 PM »
I just bought a used Kymco UXV 450i, When i got home a rode around for about 15 mins and the CLEP light came on and did not blink, just stays solid. I am going to check it when i get off work, the guy i bought it from said he had never seen the light come on before. Can you test this with a normal car code computer? it didnt sound any diffrent when the light came on? It does have aftermarked LED lights on it that were cutting out when i hit bumps, maybe it has a bad ground and that would turn the CLEP light on??

airshot

• View Profile
Re: 450i CLEP light (check engine light) stays on??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
First thing I would do it check the electrical connections, mabey even disconnect the aftermarket lights and then see what happens. You do NOT want electrical connection issues or electrical shorts as they can back up thru the system and cause expensive electrical issues. An car code reader probably will not work for your machine, I would not take a chance on creating another electrical issue.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »
Nope, a Kymco diagnostic tool/analyzer is needed. Works similar to OBDII readers for cars but the connector looks similar to the very first Honda systems. 200 bucks back in 2013 when I got one. Plus shipping....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Gonzo31u

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 12:24:00 AM »
so it overheated the next day, the seller told me that it overheated on him in the winter when he was plowing and he flushed the system and replaced the thermostat and it never did it again. When i took the seat off i noticed that the lower hoses on the thermostat were hot the top hose not so much. When i opened the radiator cap the water was cold! The seller told me that he inspected the shaft and impeller for the water pump and it appeared to be ok. He has offered to pay for any parts needed. I haven't had time to inspect the water pump myself, but assuming it looks OK what else could possibly be faulty?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 12:23:14 PM »
No expert here... but on cars I'd be looking at failed or backwards thermostat, failed water pump, clogged pump, blocked radiator or low coolant.
My guess is thermostat or water pump.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »
Remove stat, fill with water and start, see if water circulates, if so pump is good and flow is not restricted. If no flow theen a backwards stat or blockage in lines or pump doesn't pump. Then just use hose pressure to see if blocked, if flowing well from garden hose then no blockage. Just a matter of going thru it step by step to find the problem.

Gonzo31u

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:55:11 AM »
I tool the Stat out and it didn't look like it was circulating. I took the housing off the pump and everything looked good, pump spun fast. Tomorrow I am going to check where the hose runs from the pump to the top of the cylinder and out to the Stat. Would there be some kind of valve up there some where?? It seems like there may be now flow through the head area?!

Gonzo31u

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 01:10:22 PM »
Put it back together after running a hose through and the light is still coming on? It just stays solid after about 2 mins of running. Water is circulating, fan works, thermostat is working. I don't know what else I can check, the gaskets looked good on the thermostat and pump housing!? 

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »
    You might have a bad heat sending unit, light may be coming on but engine is not really overheating.  You need a separate temp gage to check this out. I would check water temp when light comes on, check in various places to be sure it is not overheating. If water is truly circulating well there should be no real overheating, but only a trusted temp gage source should be used to know for sure. You could also take a gamble on the heat sensing unit and just buy another one and see what happens, cant be that expensive.

Gonzo31u

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 10:57:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I will test the temp, order the sensor, and try again.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()